Why become a member? ×

The Proper Way To Give Notice To Your Band

Bluewine

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

When I was 18, totally not a problem. Deal me in. But I'm not 18 anymore.

Mind you, I wouldn't draw the line at someone having a bottle of beer at half-time.

When I was 18 and alcohol would have been a requirement. 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 07:44, King Tut said:

I've just been offered the opportunity to join a signed band, doing gigs at bigger venues than I'm used to around the UK. My current main band play pubs, clubs and functions. I decided I'd be better to tell the core of the band (hubby and wife) face to face, so I went round to their place on a Sunday morning. I explained my situation and told them that I'd like to continue gigging with them up until the end of June, by which time they'd need to have recruited a new bass player. This fitted fine with the new band's plans and has given my old band plenty of time to recruit. They've not been dropped in the doo doo and we remain friends. Successful conclusion!

awesome gig, all the best :)

before I die I want to play to a large festival crowd and maybe do a small tour. Hope you get to do both 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

When I was 18, totally not a problem. Deal me in. But I'm not 18 anymore.

Mind you, I wouldn't draw the line at someone having a bottle of beer at half-time.

I'm the opposite - at 18 it was rare to bring beer to a practice (except for that band who rehearsed in the back of a pub), but the last few bands I've been in it's been fairly standard to bring a few bottles.  But the rehearsals are about playing, not drinking, so it's rarely more than a couple of pints over a three or four hour rehearsal, and it never affects the playing. 

The last lot I depped with are semi-pro (they don't play a lot of gigs, but they get pretty well paid when they do) and easily the best musicians I have ever played with.  I'd heard tales of their strict "no drinking before we play, it impedes the performance" rules so I didn't bring beer to the first practice...so had to drink some of the lead guitarist's that he had stashed in the studio.  Turns out that rule is long gone, and as long as you can perform, they don't mind what you ingest.  But again, the rehearsals were about the playing, not the drinking, nobody was there to get drunk.  Made for a very relaxed, productive atmosphere

• Like 1

I always liked a drink before playing as I found that my voice relaxed better after a couple of beers. As long as I didn’t get totally smashed, I’d be fine, as was the rest of the band. Everything in moderation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I always liked a drink before playing as I found that my voice relaxed better after a couple of beers. As long as I didn’t get totally smashed, I’d be fine, as was the rest of the band. Everything in moderation. 

Our singer says that. He's wrong, he sounds loads better if he hasn't drunk, but I guess that is how he feels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Our singer says that. He's wrong, he sounds loads better if he hasn't drunk, but I guess that is how he feels.

if it's affecting his performance then he needs to be told, and very firmly.

A singer in an old band of mine had a bag full of issues - low confidence if he was sober, a genuinely serious drugs problem, and an inability to say no to a drink (more of a binge issue than alcoholism).  If he'd had a couple of pints he was great, better than if he was stone cold sober, but if he'd been up all night stuffing coke up his nose he'd miss practices, and when he was there would sing appallingly.  We had to sack him after one too many awful gigs

On 21/02/2019 at 05:12, Monkey Steve said:

I'm the opposite - at 18 it was rare to bring beer to a practice (except for that band who rehearsed in the back of a pub), but the last few bands I've been in it's been fairly standard to bring a few bottles.  But the rehearsals are about playing, not drinking, so it's rarely more than a couple of pints over a three or four hour rehearsal, and it never affects the playing. 

The last lot I depped with are semi-pro (they don't play a lot of gigs, but they get pretty well paid when they do) and easily the best musicians I have ever played with.  I'd heard tales of their strict "no drinking before we play, it impedes the performance" rules so I didn't bring beer to the first practice...so had to drink some of the lead guitarist's that he had stashed in the studio.  Turns out that rule is long gone, and as long as you can perform, they don't mind what you ingest.  But again, the rehearsals were about the playing, not the drinking, nobody was there to get drunk.  Made for a very relaxed, productive atmosphere

I don't drink so it's kind of hard for me to pass judgement. Alcohol effects all of us differently.

The one time I took issue was with a band I rehearsed with 3 times and it became apparent that for 2 of the members it wasn't about the music. It was about getting away from family for a few hours to get drunk.

Count me out on that sort of nonsense.

Blue

Last band I was in, the guitarist kind of held sway.

He was royally rude to the organiser of a charity event we played at.

After we played, I went over to said organiser whilst the guitarist was talking to them, apologized for his behaviour, and quit right there and then. The drummer was there, too, and quit as well, for the same reason.

Not exactly professional, but I wasn't discourteous. Nor was the drummer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always had a few drinks. A couple before, then during the break. We didn’t do any serious drinking until we were finished. Playing and drinking with me is fine. Playing and getting out of my face isn’t. 

• Like 1