Why become a member? ×

The Proper Way To Give Notice To Your Band

Bluewine

Both times I’ve left a band that was intending to carry on Ive said I’d stay until they got a replacement up to gigging standard - with the surety that they would actively seek one. I’d been in the first about 3 years, the second 2 years. With each band I’d have been happy to walk at the time and not look back but my sense of decency simply said that was wrong. 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

I've just been offered the opportunity to join a signed band, doing gigs at bigger venues than I'm used to around the UK. My current main band play pubs, clubs and functions. I decided I'd be better to tell the core of the band (hubby and wife) face to face, so I went round to their place on a Sunday morning. I explained my situation and told them that I'd like to continue gigging with them up until the end of June, by which time they'd need to have recruited a new bass player. This fitted fine with the new band's plans and has given my old band plenty of time to recruit. They've not been dropped in the doo doo and we remain friends. Successful conclusion!

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

There are are quite a few variables. The reason for leaving, how long you've been a member. Are the members close friends. Are there any gigs on the books? 

I would think all those things have to be considered.

Blue

Good points, for me, for both bands I’d simply had enough of playing in bands and just wanted to go down the pub with my mates. Both singers in both bands were also a bit difficult to deal with and that may be a big factor, I’m not sure that I’d have stayed if they were easy going chappies tho, the pub just meant more to me back then. Both bands had gigs booked which I honoured til the replacements could take over, and I did fill in for one gig when the replacement was on holiday.

12 minutes ago, King Tut said:

I've just been offered the opportunity to join a signed band, doing gigs at bigger venues than I'm used to around the UK. My current main band play pubs, clubs and functions. I decided I'd be better to tell the core of the band (hubby and wife) face to face, so I went round to their place on a Sunday morning. I explained my situation and told them that I'd like to continue gigging with them up until the end of June, by which time they'd need to have recruited a new bass player. This fitted fine with the new band's plans and has given my old band plenty of time to recruit. They've not been dropped in the doo doo and we remain friends. Successful conclusion!

Congrats Col, chuffed for you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Giving notice is pretty serious, depending on the type of band and how long you've been with the band.

I very much hope this isn't an indication that a certain Milwaukee bassist is about to quit his band... :(

But if so, here's how I do it:

* Tip up for rehearsal without your gear
* Tell them you've always hated them
* Chin someone
* Leave the room and go straight to the parking lot
* Shove a potato up the tail-pipe of each of your bandmates' cars. Or p*ss in their tanks. It doesn't really matter.
* Call the promoters for all the band's upcoming bookings and tell them the band can't do the dates. Let the band find out the hard way, the bastards.
* Change your name and appearance (maybe shave your head and grow a moustache) and move to another city

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

I very much hope this isn't an indication that a certain Milwaukee bassist is about to quit his band... :(

No, however we are in the re-grouping stage. We have to replace our 2nd guitarist who also plays blues harp and sings lead on several songs.

Balls were dropped and there were some communication issues. Our gigging schedule is dismal.

Thing is , quitting is not an option for me. There are no opportunities in Milwaukee with bands that are gigging and making money. At least none advertised publically.

I can't quit if there's nowhere else to go.

Blue

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We have to replace our 2nd guitarist who also plays blues harp and sings lead on several songs.

Can rehearse Tuesday nights, available to play out most weekends. Have Telecaster and a Princeton, can brush up my harp skills, vocals no probs. Reliable and easy-going.

Send set list with keys, paid gigs only.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you know your bandleader well enough and they have a big enough ego but lack the nads to sack people face to face then when you are ready to go you just drop a few hints here and there and they will invariably sort out a replacement behind your back. All you do is then wait for the 'we are letting you go' phone call or email. They give you what you want whilst under the illusion they are in control. Their egos blind them to the reality and all you have to do is keep a straight face on the phone or have a chuckle replying to the email. 

• Like 5

Amicably, always - even if it means gritting your teeth and forcing a smile.

If you burn bridges with people you burn networking opportunities. It's a small world in someways and I've had things passed on to me from former bandmates. I'm not sure that would've happened if we'd parted company in a sour manner.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Giving notice is pretty serious, depending on the type of band and how long you've been with the band.

Please share some ideas or examples.

Blue

FB_IMG_1545750565624.jpg

Incriminate anything except the other members (yourself, fatality, tendinitis...)

Sorry mates, but I've been too long holding this piece of unbalanced wood to avoid neckdive and a broken headstock, I feel tired of it,  and need something else now. All in all we had a very good time together.

Edited by totorbass
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

here's how I do it:

* Tip up for rehearsal without your gear
* Tell them you've always hated them
* Chin someone
* Leave the room and go straight to the parking lot
* Shove a potato up the tail-pipe of each of your bandmates' cars. Or p*ss in their tanks. It doesn't really matter.
* Call the promoters for all the band's upcoming bookings and tell them the band can't do the dates. Let the band find out the hard way, the bastards.
* Change your name and appearance (maybe shave your head and grow a moustache) and move to another city

This is very disappointing. No deserted warehouses or shootings in the face, no retirements from public life? Tsk.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Throwing your instrument across the room and screaming "I QUIT" normally does the trick.

Throwing someone else's instrument across would be better - the rest of he band will be so shocked, and then they'll all gather round the wounded guitar/sax/piano (if you're strong enough!) which gives you time to dismantle your kit and walk out before anyone notices.

It also saves you from damaging your bass.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Can rehearse Tuesday nights, available to play out most weekends. Have Telecaster and a Princeton, can brush up my harp skills, vocals no probs. Reliable and easy-going.

Send set list with keys, paid gigs only.

No gigs within 200 yards of school gates etc.

;)

• Haha 6

Both times I've been sacked it was done by phone, and I had no problem with that.

Both times I've walked I did it by email, and I had no problem with that either.

Most people are really very poor in potentially confrontational situations, and things can get out of hand really fast. My feeling is that it's best to put people in the picture from a distance, but then tip up quite happily to the next gig/rehearsal/whatever knowing that they already know.

YMMV obviously.

In our previous drummer's case - throw all your toys out of the pram at the start of a rehearsal due to some imagined slight, pack up, storm out, leaving the band drummerless four days before their next gig (our slide guitarist volunteered to play drums and is now our official drummer).

As I said in another post. We did a gig once where I messed up. I freely admit, I completely forgot the song. Drummer threw his sticks and stormed off. End of the night! In my book, if anyone mucks up, straight away do something you know back to front and is a real crowd pleaser. Even if you have to borrow from later in the set, or even repeat. Just something to get the audience bouncing. Previous mistake will be forgotten. 

• Like 2