Why become a member? ×

Tapewounds string tension comparison

JKessell

Was wondering if anyone has any idea of how nylon tapewounds vary in terms of string tension from brand to brand (other comparisons also welcome). I’ve been using D’addario tapes and couldn’t be happier with the tone but they’re unfortunately too heavy for my fingers at the moment... 

20 hours ago, JKessell said:

Was wondering if anyone has any idea of how nylon tapewounds vary in terms of string tension from brand to brand (other comparisons also welcome). I’ve been using D’addario tapes and couldn’t be happier with the tone but they’re unfortunately too heavy for my fingers at the moment... 

You mean your D’addarios feel too stiff?

I’ve got a set of Labella Black Nylon tapes on one of my basses and they’re very light/low tension in feel. Forces me to use a lighter touch and makes me play differently, which I enjoy. 

• Like 2

On 16/02/2019 at 08:03, project_c said:

D’Addarios are probably the lowest tension tapes you’ll find, you should not be finding those particularly hard to play unless you have a bad setup or an injury..

I have had a minor injury which is the reason for my post. I’m supprised to hear you say that D’addarios are the lowest. I’ve played others (don’t know which) that were considerably lower. Could you elaborate on how a bad setup would affect string tension? As far as I can tell the only things that affect tension are scale length, string mass and pitch. 

2 hours ago, JKessell said:

I have had a minor injury which is the reason for my post. I’m supprised to hear you say that D’addarios are the lowest. I’ve played others (don’t know which) that were considerably lower. Could you elaborate on how a bad setup would affect string tension? As far as I can tell the only things that affect tension are scale length, string mass and pitch. 

Sorry to hear about your injury. A bad setup won’t affect tension, but it might make you feel like you have to work harder if your strings are high. D’Addario tapes are great for getting your action really low and because they’re low-tension, they respond well to a light touch so they should in theory be a good choice if you have a hand injury. Not sure why you’re finding them high tension, what bass are they on?

• Like 1