Why become a member? ×

Arranging a threesome

urbanx

We’re an originals band, quite niche music - fusing heavy punk and hip hop. We generally do 30-40 shows each year, usually 3-4 band bills, and we're usually very well received. However... upon reflection we’ve found the biggest let downs from us has been when the ‘promoter’ has matched us with wildly inappropriate bands. While we admit that we are pretty niche, but generally we sit well with any 'rock' crowd.

The Bollywood night, and the Euro-pop night were disasters.

So, here’s my idea. We ‘team up with 2-3 other bands that we get on well with musically (and socially) and approach promoters as a gang of 3 bands to offer a ‘ready made’ night for them. Standard gig, just a slightly different chronology from the usual ‘putting a night on’ - as we’d have all the bands sorted first.  

The only downsides I can see are:

1)      The ball ache of finding dates that all three bands can do. Hopefully a communal online calendar will sort this.

2)      Getting bored, or boring our crowds with the same 3 bands. I only foresee these being 10-20% of our gigs. Additionally promoters may add another band etc.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

24 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Why not promote your own event(s)? 

We do in our home town, it's just harder getting out of town venues to book us as a single band (understandable). So hoping that teamed up with two locally known acts we'll be a lot more attractive to them. 

Edited by urbanx

10 hours ago, Geek99 said:

That I wish I had taken up the offer of a threesome that I once got .... from a very nice brunette and a redhead 

Happened to me once too. I wasn’t sure if they were taking the Mick, but to this day I’m like why the hell didn’t I call their bluff? I could have easily said right you start and I’ll join in and could have said I was joking if it backfired 

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I thought they were joking but found out later they were upset that I had not followed it up 

had to be at my house which I understood 

You get sick of them after a while.

Of course I may just be saying that to give an impression ...............

Edited by Steve Browning