Why become a member? ×

New G&L Fullerton Deluxe P and J basses

BassApprentice

Oh massively hot!

Lets take quality of build aside as they are very, very well made basses 

IMHO, Leo got it all wrong with the pick ups. He was compensating for hearing loss, and high end hearing loss. So he rotated the magnet to make them more powerful and also not Treble harsh, especially the L1500 bass in its Preamp. If you are a guy/gal who is bass to amp, no other frills, it’s a good geetar for you, moulding that sound esp with preamps with any heft is very tricky and always seemed like a constant battle.

For anyone looking to get one really check the neck profile offerings. They have some wonderful diemnsions to choose from, but their stock PJ #12 choice is almost their worst to me. It tries to be between the 2 styles and satisfies no master.

But , still - great basses

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Oh massively hot!

Lets take quality of build aside as they are very, very well made basses 

IMHO, Leo got it all wrong with the pick ups. He was compensating for hearing loss, and high end hearing loss. So he rotated the magnet to make them more powerful and also not Treble harsh, especially the L1500 bass in its Preamp. If you are a guy/gal who is bass to amp, no other frills, it’s a good geetar for you, moulding that sound esp with preamps with any heft is very tricky and always seemed like a constant battle.

For anyone looking to get one really check the neck profile offerings. They have some wonderful diemnsions to choose from, but their stock PJ #12 choice is almost their worst to me. It tries to be between the 2 styles and satisfies no master.

But , still - great basses

Though with the passive two band preamp in the L1000 I think the pup works well, and using the three controls you get enough control. 

I’ve tried a L2000 and agree with what you’re saying 

• Like 1

Agreed with yourself too.

The L1500 needed the resistor on the pre amp changed and an extra cap added to the tone pot and then that became useable and a dub machine for very low end bass.

If I remember correctly they have slightly odd sized pick ups as well (The MFD’s) making modding even more difficult.

With an L2k you can fit a 3 point DPDT switch and require so you can really select front and back coils of each pick up for more versatility.

I may have the blueprint for this somewhere, if anyone is interested then message  me

Interestingly my MJ-5 on order is coming with Aguilar HC pickups as they said its noisy with their new 18v preamp. I think its odd that they market the bass with a certain spec only to tell me they don't work well! I had the choice to cancel, but I know the Aggy pickups are great, so should be fine.

I really like the MFD P pickup. Turning down the volume gives a wide range of sounds from vintage P through to a deep and full clank. I’d rather have it on tap than not. I’ve never tried the J or soap bars though. 

Currently looking for a good SB1 and have a couple of leads.. really like those with the textured black pick guard. 

I wanted to try the JB Fullerton at PMT in Salford the other day (was actually hoping they’d have a Yamaha BB P34. 

But it was a busy Saturday morning with all the kids playing muse (I don’t miss working in a guitar shop!) so I just bought some strings and went on my way.

i wouldn’t mind a look at the tribute jb in LPB with blocks, looks cool.

14 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

I'd love a G&L bass....when they are more readily available I'll try one. It seems the Andertons/PMT/GG buying consortium are ordering more stuff. 

Part of me is delighted they’re bringing the brand to more recognition and part of me, the more selfish side, is going to miss the exclusivity.

It's great that they offer some level if customisation when you order USA models - choice from a range of neck profiles and a wide number of finish options; but I'd love it if they offered a choice of scale length. 

If I could buy a 35" Kiloton five string then my credit card would be weeping

Edited by Graham

On 20/02/2019 at 19:21, ped said:

I really like the MFD P pickup. Turning down the volume gives a wide range of sounds from vintage P through to a deep and full clank. I’d rather have it on tap than not. I

Spot on Ped. I gigged my old SB1 tonight and that's exactly what I did, backed off the volume just a bit to give a good vintage P bass sound, then volume and tone full on when clank was required. Enjoyed it so much, that it will be getting another outing tomorrow night and is now officially out of retirement:)