Why become a member? ×

Dusting off Ye Olde Arpege

loopchemist

Hi All

got this out of the (origional) case the other day

Still in tune !

Series 1 Arpege V4

Phenowood neck, brass plate, those amazing pick-ups. (buzz acknowlaged) what a bridge !

840715149_vigier7.thumb.jpg.014c2e7b90392fed26e2cf0b1b93b78e.jpg77195836_vigier6.thumb.jpg.e59005aff5ff4ad1739b8450bb74ce10.jpg1649621765_vigier4.thumb.jpg.6679c17f45964bbbff84dbf9bec2c9c2.jpgPlays so nicely

I have owned this since new

Purchased directly from Patrice in 1983 while I was working at RockBottom Music in Croydon

928101953_vigier3.thumb.jpg.837065f9099a0e5567836f958b34bb2c.jpg1282761292_Vigier2.thumb.jpg.eb642b7f56b22b525374f586a4c267cc.jpg

vigier 1.jpg

vigier 5.jpg

• Like 2

I've always like the design of these.  I remember there was a fretless one up in the Wapping Bass Centre years ago with a brass fingerboard.  Design being one thing, a guy I knew a while back owned one and it was so badly set up, I found it almost unplayable; the neck was bowing so far forward the action was a good 1/2" at the 13th fret.  I begged the guy to give it to me for an hour to set it up, but nope, that was how he liked it. 

Very nice indeed!! I've had two Arpege basses, a series II fretted and a series I fretless 5. Beautiful basses, probably my favourite body shape. Yours looks like it's in amazing condition. I always found the brass laminate neck really stable, I don't think i ever had to adjust my series I once I had it set up. Shame these aren't better known but for those of us who have tried one, they're a well kept secret!

Enjoy!!

Thanks to the replies so far.

In the time when these were first released I remember the boutique Bass market was really just starting to blossom. Status, Alembic, Wal, and others all threatened the mass produced status quo (not the band).

I always found Vigier to be the most playable out of the case and the sound variety for a gigging musician was fantastic. If you love a P Bass sound then buy one I have no gripe on that count, but if you are looking for more than "set it forget it" these 1980's (now vintage) instruments are great.

• Like 1

Just now, loopchemist said:

Thanks to the replies so far.

In the time when these were first released I remember the boutique Bass market was really just starting to blossom. Status, Alembic, Wal, and others all threatened the mass produced status quo (not the band).

I always found Vigier to be the most playable out of the case and the sound variety for a gigging musician was fantastic. If you love a P Bass sound then buy one I have no gripe on that count, but if you are looking for more than "set it forget it" these 1980's (now vintage) instruments are great.

Couldn't agree more - and they have such a flexible pre-amp and a vast array of usable sounds. Lovely things :)

2 minutes ago, I Denby said:

Loopchemist.

OMG -someone with an identical bass as mine!

Bought mine in 84/85. Played it 'till '93 until it hibernated for 25 years. brought it (and me) out of retirement a few months ago.

20190222_091412.jpg

Are you using the tuner/bypass output?