Why become a member? ×

I've only gone and dun it...

Cicero

On 14/02/2019 at 19:41, Cicero said:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!

I would never do it, but it's so tempting...

It's as though those headstocks are supposed to double up as paddles 🤔

If ever you're at a gig and you're stuck up s**t creek, you'll be glad of that headstock

On 19/02/2019 at 01:34, bigsmokebass said:

Totally, I have some major love for my BB1025 for it's tone and resonance but it's a hell of a heavy bass in my collection, practically a tree with strings attached. 

Maybe I'll go for a light gauge of 5 strings 😉 hahaha 😂🍻

I concur. My BB1025 is a fairly weighty beast, but nothing in comparison to my friends 'non-weight-relieved' Gibson Les Paul. Man, that thing weighs a ton

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

WEIGHT: my V7 - 4 (gen1) is 9.6lb

That's roughly what I reckon ;)

9.6lb isn't too bad. A lot more than the 7lb '77 Squier VM Jazz I used to own, but nowhere near the 11lb Ibanez ATK700 that I played for 1/2 a gig before selling it on

6 hours ago, Soledad said:

Here's the bottom line (IMHO) - a Sire of your choice is all you need.

If you want a Lakland recognise that it's a want, not a need...

Why not the other way round? Why is a Lakland not all you need and the Sire is what you want? :D

But unless you are a professional bass player,  you don't actually need either

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Why not the other way round? Why is a Lakland not all you need and the Sire is what you want?

A Lakland is around 3 times the price. If you're not pro you don't need either. So I don't need any. Save me buying a new amp !

• Like 1

Update on my finish issue - as @Woodinblack suggested, they asked for pics, which I've submitted. Very hopeful they'll offer a swap for an unaffected one rather than a discount, as I think this is a result of applying paint & lacquer to unseasoned or damp timber, and I think it could well get worse over time:front1.thumb.jpg.ff8c4900c7a6a79c3fa5d5b9714a23f1.jpgfront2.thumb.jpg.7a2c195f647a38e04808532b6c8549a2.jpgback3.thumb.jpg.42f26831803720c7b454c17707aabb17.jpgback2.thumb.jpg.739067ac88c27517e6f292dc2f229398.jpg

Really hope they don't try & fob me off over this.

9 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Good grief! How did that get past QC?

I did wonder. I suppose if it was inspected in a dimly lit room it might not be apparent - being ripples & ridges in the lacquer they are far more visible under bright light. Also @Cicero has a point, if it's ongoing it might not have been visible at all when the bass was put together.

I just hope they're not all like this!

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I did wonder. I suppose if it was inspected in a dimly lit room it might not be apparent - being ripples & ridges in the lacquer they are far more visible under bright light. Also @Cicero has a point, if it's ongoing it might not have been visible at all when the bass was put together.

I just hope they're not all like this!

Mine certainly isn't, and I've not heard this come up before.

Seems like bad luck. Have you heard back yet? Seems unlikely they won't offer a replacement

41 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Hope the replacement's up to scratch - really don't want this dragging on beyond March 29th! :lol: :ph34r:

You might find that you're significantly better off buying after March 29th, particularly if the value of £ increases by 5%! :)

Bear in mind that Germany (unlike the UK, which has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe and has created over a million jobs since 2016) is VERY close to being in recession and that is only going to take the Euro down with it in the near term.

Edited by Al Krow
Please note that any views on currency exchange rates expressed are those of a mediocre bass player and do not imply any recommendation to buy or sell

Academic as I've already bought & paid for it - but part of the reason I did so was that I've been mithering over one of these since the end of last summer - and the version I bought is getting on for £50 dearer now than it was in September!

Whatever happens, based on that I can't see there being many bargains coming across the channel in the forseeable future.

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You might find that you're significantly better off buying after March 29th, particularly if the value of £ increases by 5%! :)

Bear in mind that Germany (unlike the UK, which has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe and has created over a million jobs since 2016) is VERY close to being in recession and that is only going to take the Euro down with it in the near term.

Which will still be worth orders of magnitude more than ours after march!