Why become a member? ×

I've only gone and dun it...

Cicero

22 hours ago, tauzero said:

It looks like a Fender and a Cort have mated, and then disowned their offspring.

It reminds me of Kryten:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/kryten/images/19990779/title/kryten-photo&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiHx-no8sPgAhUOTBUIHQxbA1IQwW4IJjAI&usg=AOvVaw04GDpw_1sVAp3sfk7Uwlnd

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

To be fair - and as already mentioned - somehow, in the 'flesh' the headstock isn't anywhere near as remarkable (or offensive) as you'd think judging from the pictures. Odd.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

The weight of a couple of extra bit of plastic and wiring is negligible, which is pretty much what it comes down to.

Eh, the pots, knobs, switches, wiring, 2x 9V batteries and battery doors.... Soon all add up and probably more than you think. Might not be much but considering it's unnecessary weight for me and to my preferences anyway, it's something that would save me a bad back and hopefully a few quid in my pocket 😁

I'm not just being a grumpy old man, i do suffer with muscular scoliosis, so yes, my shoulder and back don't take to some basses as much as the next guy does. 

This video does explain a little bit more. 

Edited by bigsmokebass

5 hours ago, Cicero said:

a little heavier than my Fender P Bass

OK, that's quite solid then. I'll have to up my guess a bit. I know a bloke, I'll get him to weigh his. Weird they don't put weight on the spec sheet. I do think some mass is a good thing tonally - all else equal it should aid sustain and help the mid-lower frequencies I believe. As for the active/passive switch adding weight, so does going from 40-100s to 45-105s ;)

Ive had a white Gen 1 V7 5 since they came out. i dont use it much but its a bass id probably never sell. Cost around £350 IIR back then. it is heavy, around 10.5lbs, but when strapped on it doesn't feel too bad. I did a two hour set with it and although it started to feel uncomfortable by the end i was also feeling tired. On something liek a mono or Comfort strap i really dont worry about the weight, its more when im carrying it that i notice.

I hardly ever use the pre amp as i feel the passive tone is spot on. it seems a bit of a waste but at that price who cares. I dont like the headstock but its preferable to, say a G&L. It does make the bass slightly harder to put in my Fender type gig bags.

Off the back of me getting it out for the first time in a couple of years (at least) last week i have a Gen 2 P7 5 arriving today. I cant get away from the P tone, but love the burpy bridge tone from a jazz. time to get back to using that extra long thumb rest for a while.

Edited by dave_bass5

On 14/02/2019 at 13:37, Bassassin said:

I've been regularly looking at the maple fingerboard lined fretless necks & wishing they sold them separately - sadly it doesn't appear they do. A shame because I have a rather lovely J body that's been waiting for the right neck for about 10 years, and one of these (with a headstock re-cut to a Tele shape) would be perfect.

Anyway - unavailable necks notwithstanding, I am very, very close to pulling the trigger on one of these:

11536114.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_v7_vintage_alder_fl_bmr.htm

Really don't think I'd have the heart to scavenge the neck & flog the body/hardware, and that metallic red is gorgeous...

Someone talk me out of it. Or rather, don't.

Been & gawn & done it, ain't I?

Trigger pulled. Quite excited now... default_OMG.gif.9d73e7a55ebb5b97c7faa406b1ad03b2.gifdefault_OMG.gif.9d73e7a55ebb5b97c7faa406b1ad03b2.gifdefault_OMG.gif.9d73e7a55ebb5b97c7faa406b1ad03b2.gif

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

For the record, I'm not knocking Sire basses. I think they're fantastic basses and if they were around 15 years ago when I started playing active 5 strings and before my back problems, I'd have had a few in my collection for sure.

I don't even have back problems but I am happy to have lighter. When I got my Maruszczyk I had it made hollow with ultralight tuners. It all makes a difference.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Still a chance I might exchange it for one in white

The burst & t'shell board suit all the bling SO well - the neck binding, block markers, more knobs than our cooker.... coooer. If you need white get some trainers.
Off to check this over tomorrow:

mm1.jpg

I got my gen 2 P7 5 today. Lovely bass. The gen 2 neck is a big upgrade over the first gen. Noticeably flatter and faster, at least for me. Well worth the extra IMO.

Its not light though, at dead on 10lbs. Still lighter than my white V7 5 though. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

The burst & t'shell board suit all the bling SO well - the neck binding, block markers, more knobs than our cooker.... coooer. If you need white get some trainers.
Off to check this over tomorrow:

mm1.jpg

I'm not likely to... It'll just give me another reason to eventually but a 60s Re-issue 🤔😉 

A friend of mine has just bought a Fender Elite Jazz Bass at around 4x the cost... Why do I feel as though I got the better deal? Could be that this has perhaps the nicest neck I've ever played on any guitar 😎

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Soledad said:

OK, that's quite solid then. I'll have to up my guess a bit. I know a bloke, I'll get him to weigh his. Weird they don't put weight on the spec sheet. I do think some mass is a good thing tonally - all else equal it should aid sustain and help the mid-lower frequencies I believe. As for the active/passive switch adding weight, so does going from 40-100s to 45-105s ;)

Totally, I have some major love for my BB1025 for it's tone and resonance but it's a hell of a heavy bass in my collection, practically a tree with strings attached. 

Maybe I'll go for a light gauge of 5 strings 😉 hahaha 😂🍻

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't even have back problems but I am happy to have lighter. When I got my Maruszczyk I had it made hollow with ultralight tuners. It all makes a difference.

Daft what switching tuners can do, I noticed this with some Hipshot ultralites on a standard Mexican Pbass I've got.... Not only that but they tuned better too! 3 birds with one stone (Inc a happy back!) 😁🙌🏻

On 18/02/2019 at 14:52, Bassassin said:

Been & gawn & done it, ain't I?

Trigger pulled. Quite excited now... default_OMG.gif.9d73e7a55ebb5b97c7faa406b1ad03b2.gifdefault_OMG.gif.9d73e7a55ebb5b97c7faa406b1ad03b2.gifdefault_OMG.gif.9d73e7a55ebb5b97c7faa406b1ad03b2.gif

Well - it popped through the letterbox this morning.

And it's going straight back. The body's covered with marks that look like cracks in the coloured paint underneath the lacquer - looks quite similar to a finish cracked by exposure to damp, only beneath the clear coat. :(

This would be fine on a discounted b-stock bass but I'm a bit disappointed to find it on a full-price bass. It's really obvious & you'd think anyone giving it a cursory glance would notice. Thomann apparently give each instrument a check-over & setup before despatch.

Made the mistake of tuning it up & giving it a quick (unplugged) play & it's otherwise lovely. Just my luck if I get a replacement with a perfect finish & a neck like a corkscrew!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Well - it popped through the letterbox this morning.

And it's going straight back. The body's covered with marks that look like cracks in the coloured paint underneath the lacquer - looks quite similar to a finish cracked by exposure to damp, only beneath the clear coat. :(

This would be fine on a discounted b-stock bass but I'm a bit disappointed to find it on a full-price bass. It's really obvious & you'd think anyone giving it a cursory glance would notice. Thomann apparently give each instrument a check-over & setup before despatch.

Made the mistake of tuning it up & giving it a quick (unplugged) play & it's otherwise lovely. Just my luck if I get a replacement with a perfect finish & a neck like a corkscrew!

Where did you order it from? Mine came without even a sign of a scratch...

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Where did you order it from? Mine came without even a sign of a scratch...

Thomann. It's not scratched - I think it's probably a flaw in the finishing process. Could imagine it's the result of the coloured (metallic red) coat being applied over not properly seasoned wood. There are no cracks in the top clearcoat, but very obvious ridges/ripples from the imperfections underneath.

Anyway, I want to do an exchange if possible, rather than just return for a refund & buy another. If this is a dodgy batch I don't want to risk another with the same issue so would hope they'll check it first.

However - emailed them this afternoon & got a very prompt response saying my mail had been forwarded to Customer Services. Who haven't contacted me yet. :(

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

They tend to be pretty good, although normally they want pictures and offer a discount first.

Bugger - already boxed it up!

I'd consider accepting a discount, depending how much they'd knock off, it's not terrible, just not new-bass perfect. I do have slight concern it might get worse though, if it's a result of unseasoned wood.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by recently buying the world's cheapest brand-new thinline Tele copy and it being utterly flawless. The V7 was three times the price!

2 hours ago, ChrisLovatt said:

Gotta say I barely touch the pre-amp, sounds really great just passive

Me too, so far. Got a gen1 V7 a few days ago. I grew up on passives anyway and modern amps have plenty of tone shaping (too much if you're heavy handed). I expect to spend some more time later with the mid sweep (a smart feature I think) but the bass sounds really good passive, and it's faster to get from one sound to another. Re weight it feels about the same as my Precisions (but see below).

Here's the bottom line (IMHO) - a Sire of your choice is all you need. Get one, stop there and work on playing, technique and sound. Changing string gauge or just one cab will make a bigger difference than the next shiny bass.
If you want a Lakland recognise that it's a want, not a need... 

WEIGHT: my V7 - 4 (gen1) is 9.6lb

That's roughly what I reckon ;)

Edited by Soledad

32 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Me too, so far. Got a gen1 V7 a few days ago. I grew up on passives anyway and modern amps have plenty of tone shaping (too much if you're heavy handed). I expect to spend some more time later with the mid sweep (a smart feature I think) but the bass sounds really good passive, and it's faster to get from one sound to another. Re weight it feels about the same as my Precisions (but see below).

Here's the bottom line (IMHO) - a Sire of your choice is all you need. Get one, stop there and work on playing, technique and sound. Changing string gauge or just one cab will make a bigger difference than the next shiny bass.
If you want a Lakland recognise that it's a want, not a need... 

WEIGHT: my V7 - 4 (gen1) is 9.6Kg

That's roughly what I reckon ;)

Yeah mine's a tad heavy but I've been playing heavy 5 strings for years so I'm used to it.