Why become a member? ×

What floats your boat?

ubit

A question I often ask myself. My taste is pretty eclectic and growing wider thanks to you lot. Tends to be the tune rather than genre or artist/writer. Odd thing is that it has recently become possible for someone else to drill down to my musical 'core' and that I tend to lean pretty strongly towards Folk Rock. Although the set list I was working towards was quite folky. Quite likely to have 'Morning' followed by 'Desperado' followed by 'Whatever you Want', 'Fog on the Tyne', 'Highland Cathedral', 'Black Velvet', 'The Boxer', 'Ode to Joy', 'Atomic'.......

I'll happily listen to most music.... except computer programmed modern pop, rap, grime, or KISS FM type stuff which I can't stand and find no redeeming quality, musical or otherwise, in.

If there is a well written melody, a good singer and/or real musicians playing it I'm generally fine with it - no matter if it's jazz, blues, rock, metal, soul, funk, disco, reggae, classical etc

• Like 2

There is no one answer. It's probably moments, events and life changes. Then the influences return at a later date.

Started of with piano lessons @ six. Church choir the same year, so early influences were more classical and churchy.

Was a late-comer to pop in 1962/3. Cor! Top of the Pops! Missed everything else before that. Bought 1st 7" single. Alan Price - "Simon Smith & the Amazing Dancing Bear". Voice broke. School choir - light classical and church stuff - sang in the choir stalls of St.Pauls Cathedral
- Wow! You don't forget that.

After '65 became deluged in the tsunami of 60's Motown/pop/rock/prog rock/reggae, so forgot about classical. Went to the "Bath Festival" in about '69 - Santana and many others. Fell asleep in a tent while Deep Purple were on.

College: Listened to lots around me but never got Hendrix or Cream until the 80's. Took photos from the side of the stage during the big college music era - Hiseman's Colosseum, Yes, Curved Air etc., Davy Graham, Tom Paxton, Al Stewart, The Strawbs. Lots of weird and wonderful. Only listenable these days in very small doses. On recommendation from a lady from Ross-on-Wye, I got Mott the Hoople - that stuck for a life-time.

70's:  Built a home hi-fi speaker and rediscovered classical. Found bargain LP's in Downtown Records. Kooper/Bloomfield/Stills - "SuperSession" and "Live Adventures". Late 70's - "Rumours", "Uriah Heep Live '74 and Direct Cut discs with Dave Grusin. Left a job in '76 and the leaving present was Steve Miller's Greatest Hits '74; brilliant. Then, wait for it............. Live from the NEC. Status Quo. Yeah!!

Through the 80's to the noughties I bought odd CD's - just as random as before, but did discover Beethoven 6th, 7th & the Violin concerto, awesome; Saint-Saens 3rd - the Organ Symphony. Mrs B likes ballet music - so it's in with Tschaikvosky. We Watched CSI and tacked on to The Who - The post 9/11 New York concert is the best. So many choices now with youtube - Quo live @ Donnington 2014 sounds wonderful. Saint-Saens 3rd and Widor's Toccatta from St.Sulpice makes us smile.

As Leonard Smalls said - I like music with cojones, well, mostly - and or having a strong melody. Certainly can't stand droning M.O.R angst - so that rules out Coldplay & Pink Floyd or singer-song-writers in general; Carole King probably an honourable exception. Don't get me started on modern pop/rap/house, it's not allowed in the house. Modern-for-the-sake-of- it Jazz gets the same rebuff.

As ubit said - "Pop is probably my least favourite music as I dislike people with little talent being given a chance at stardom by being manufactured. I realise that some of these pop stars are talented too. It’s just the X factor generation I suppose that get me wound up".

• Like 1