Why become a member? ×

What floats your boat?

ubit

Mostly heavy stuff - black metal, post-hardcore, grind, death metal, doom, sludge, thrash

But I do tend to take tangents, often for a few days at a time before reverting to the usual, often jazz or hip-hop; I'm currently on a 90s alt-rock/grunge kick

I like music with cojones, so long as they're not just wrinkly, but also groovy and pumpy.

And preferably much more rhythmic than tuneful. Even better if that rhythm is crazy, daddy-o. And if everybody is playing far too many notes, I'm even happier. For full nirvana, any singist has to be part of the music, as opposed to backed by musicians in order to bolster the warbler's ego, unless it meets the groovy pumpy cojones condition.

So Screaming Headless Torsos, yes.

Coldplay, no.

Kenny G, no.

Ornette Coleman, yes.

P Funk, yes, yes, yes.

Van Morrison, no.

Metal, usually no, but:

Suicidal Tendencies, yes.

Etc.

• Like 3

As with others, I like most things. I don't really tend to think in genres, it's all just music to me. However if we are talking genres simply for ease of reference, then I tend not to listen to very much R&B, reggae, soul or blues. My biggest loves would fall under the umbrella of Prog, but I'm also a big pop music fan, and love anything vocal harmony-based, like ABBA, the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel or The Mamas and The Papas, or more up to date First Aid Kit and The Staves. I was brought up on jazz, though I don't tend to listen to a lot of it these days, probably due to early force-feeding. Favourite bands include Yes, Genesis, Floyd, Bow Wow Wow, Fleetwood Mac, ABBA, Hawkwind, Manowar, Sabbath, Chic, early Jamiroquai, First Aid Kit, Return To Forever, Radiohead, Chilis, etc etc etc. Oh, and give me a drone and some melancholy vocal harmonies and I'm done.

2 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

I,m a big fan of the Phil Spector sound. Especially the girl groups of the early 60's.

Great, powerful sound.

"Little symphonies for the kids!" he called them. Before he was banged up.

Me too. My main love is old school soul / r'n'b/ blues / rock, especially if seasoned with Hammond organ and a horn section at full tilt. Hence my love of Bruce Springsteen, Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes , Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul, the Stones, Motown stuff and their ilk. Nothing too fancy or with too many notes, all about the song please with some humour and subtlety thrown in. ( Hence my dislike of prog, metal in all its guises and anything too 'muso' or up itself.) Also love some country, classical, reggae and jazz tinged stuff (so long as it's kept in check!) and have always loved a great pop song , whatever era it originates from.

Being forced to take piano lessons, which I really hated, for just over a year pretty much killed off any interest I had in music from about the age of 9.  Before that I have vague memories of thinking Guns & Roses were good.  Although I never got into them subsequently.

So I actually avoided music up until I was about 15.  Then I got into the Lightning Seeds and started looking for more bands.  I got into the Wannadies, Presidents of the USA and then Foo Fighters.  At which point I just went mental for almost any contemporary rock and metal music.  This was about the time that grunge was still en-vogue and nu-metal was starting to take off so it was a good time for it.  So Everclear, Tura Satana / My Ruin, Marilyn Manson, Queen Adreena, At the Drive In, Deftones, Slipknot, RATM and most of anything else that would have been on the Radio 1 Rock Show with Mary Anne Hobbs, the MTV Rock Show with Julia Valet or the VH1 Rock Show with Tommy Vance from like 1996 to 2003.

Having joined a covers band a couple of years back has really opened up what I listen to and enjoy, but mostly I still listen to the above, plus a few newer bands of a similar ilk that I've discovered over the years.  Mainly though I've always been a sucker for something fast and heavy, with decent hooks and a strong rhythm.

I kind of echo what most others have said I like most genre's of music except one that I can't stomach and that's jazz free form/trad whichever flavour it comes in! I just can't listen to it 

I have certain bands that I listen to every week RATM, Iron Maiden, Phrophets of Rage, Green Day, The Black Crowes, Audioslave, Mumford and Sons, RHCP, AC/DC, The Pogues, (early) Guns N Roses and The Ravens Age etc so it's a quite diverse pool but if I like something then I like it!! 

• Like 1

Unlike others here there are entire music genres and decades I have no time for but there a handful of genres with stuff I do like especially electronica ,ranging from trip hop, glitch, global fusion and ambient to hard trance, acid house and drum n bass. In my car at the moment I'm going through a big box of CDs of in yer face stuff like Killing Joke, Pantera, early Stranglers, Pixies,  Faith No More, RATM,  NWA, Public Enemy, Rammstein, the Ices (Cube and T) and The Dead Kennedys.

I grew up on Abba, Nancy Sinatra, Status Quo and my parents' 70s glam rock compilations.

When I started playing bass at 12 I gravitated toward rock and metal, but always still liked good pop. 

Got well into hard house and trance in my 20s, before discovering John Martyn and going down the folk route for a while, before discovering Weather Report and Stevie Wonder.

I still like music from all those genres, as well the classics of Bowie, the Stones, Beatles and Dylan along the way. 

I can't bear bluegrass and not much of a country fan (I don't find it relates to me at all) but I'm good for anything else. 

I actually like Bluegrass. I find it much more palatable than the normal country Blanket on the ground  type stuff. Old Crow Medicine Show are one of my faves   Some of that Deep South swamp music is pretty good. I must admit I was right into it about ten years ago and my liking has mellowed but I still like it. I took the notion that I was going to teach myself the banjo. I got reasonable but gave up as I wanted to be lightning fast right away. It’s bloody hard! 

Edited by ubit

39 minutes ago, ubit said:

I actually like Bluegrass. I find it much more palatable than the normal country Blanket on the ground  type stuff. Old Crow Medicine Show are one of my faves   Some of that Deep South swamp music is pretty good. I must admit I was right into it about ten years ago and my liking has mellowed but I still like it. I took the notion that I was going to teach myself the banjo. I got reasonable but gave up as I wanted to be lightning fast right away. It’s bloody hard! 

Cant abide that old time bluegrass with blokes in stetsons yelping like they've caught their nads in a mangle. But I do have a bit of time for stuff from the 70s onwards  which throws in stuff like folk, acoustic blues etc. I'm thinking of geezers like Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck etc

My music collection goes from Abba to ZZ Top (nothing by Aardvark or Zzzz, unfortunately), with Motörhead next to Mozart... but more often than not these days, I'll choose either prog rock/metal or fusion. Or an audiobook, in the car.

I was a grammar school boy in 1973 so that means that I can only be into Yes, Genesis, King Crimson and Mike Oldfield. Everything else must be a private vice that I have to indulge in alone.

If I’d been just a couple of years younger I could have been into something cool like punk. A few years older and I’d have been in the Beatles generation. Instead, I’ve been saddled with the love that dare not speak its name since 1977.....

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 14/02/2019 at 15:33, Unknown_User said:

Being forced to take piano lessons, which I really hated, for just over a year pretty much killed off any interest I had in music from about the age of 9

I really regret not having taken music when I was in school. I am trying to teach myself to read music but a teacher would have been the best solution. I could have turned an interest into a job if I had just made different life choices.

It’s a bit of an odd one for me. The stuff I play these days is mostly rock / pop. I choose projects based on the proximity of the rehearsal space to my house and also the personalities of the other guys in the band, rather than what type of music it is. I just enjoy playing bass and can find something to like about pretty much anything in a playing scenario.

As for what I like to listen too... I don’t think I listen to anything which didn’t come out when I was in my teens / early twenties which was nigh on twenty years ago. I was big into metal at the time (noisecore, hardcore and before that death/black metal) and I still listen to the likes of Will Haven, At The Gates etc now as my preference... I don't play metal anymore though. It’s a young mans game and to be honest it’s tuned so low now I’m not really sure I see the point of having a bass guitar in the styles I like. A low F# is virtually inaudible. I think if I was a younger man with the tunings these days I’d play everything an octave up.

Edited by CamdenRob

Once there was a time when I could and probably wanted to be identified with particular artists and genres but that was a hell of a long time ago - in the past 25+ years I've just been flowing from one artist, one song to another and in many different directions at the same time so for me it's more about the process of discovery and the joy of finding new things to listen to.