Why become a member? ×

What floats your boat?

ubit

I realise there is a very wide demographic involved in this forum and I also understand that this topic has been loosely addressed in the what are you listening to just now thread , but I wanted to dig deeper and ask just what kind of music you are all in to ? Personally, I grew up listening to  Neil Diamond and Glen Campbell. As I got older and started having my own taste, I became a heavy metal fan. As I’ve matured, so has my taste in music. I’ve always loved reggae, but my taste grew into dance, trance, grunge, death metal. To be honest, I struggle to think  of any music that I hate. I am not quite so keen on jazz funk, but thats not to say that I don’t like it all. I take each song as it comes. Pop is probably my least favourite music as I dislike people with little talent being given a chance at stardom by being manufactured. I realise that some of these pop stars are talented too. It’s just the X factor generation I suppose that get me wound up. Anyway, I digress. What kind of choons make you lot all moist? 

Really simple for me, I’m very faddy and will go on binges of my latest favourite thing- which has ranged from Stravinsky to snarky puppy, then I always come back to Beatles/ Stones/ Stax and muscle shoals. In fairness it’s always a journey and I’ve strayed way beyond blues based music and the century, but it’s always nice to come home.

46 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Most music but not a big fan of music driven by guitars....rule of thumb??..the less guitar, the more I like it.

I had a moment a few years ago when I realised I was thoroughly bored with guitar dominated music, even though I never stopped enjoying playing the guitar.

Since then I've been listening to all kinds of stuff, a lot of funk, a fair bit of jazz and I've just gone through a phase of listening to drum 'n' bass and retro style electronica.

Grew up listening to Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, and from August 1963 tried to warn the grown-ups against that simplistic "She Loves You" music, strongly advising them to rather listen to the music of the greats.
BUT WOULD THEY HEAR OF IT? 🤣

The rest of the story involves electronic classical music and other pretentious stuff before Prog opened the road to popular music in general, and Jaco and Stanley Clarke opened the road to all jazz for me. 

Long story short, my deep love for Ol' Atonal Music never diminished, but more and more stuff was added to it, and these days I'll listen to anything from traditional North Indian music to death metal to bluegrass to minimal music to opera to Goa trance to...

Through many decades my record collection has seen a consistent ratio: 3 classical albums for every 2 prog albums and 1 jazz album, plus very few albums that are not in one of those three genres.

My deepest, deepest love probably is for Bach and Penderecki, but if forced to choose just one style, I'd probably take no Bach to a desert island (just play it in my head), and maybe I'd leave the Penderecki at home too and just take all my prog albums instead.

I grew up with only classical music in the house, but I remember vividly, aged about 6, sitting on the floor in front of the one speaker of our (then state-of-the-art) mono record player tracking the cello line in a Mozart string quartet. 

One answer still is, anything with a strong interesting bassline.

What do I listen to most often? -  blues, blues/rock, folk/rock, prog, reggae. 

What do I listen to most closely? - baroque, if possible with a score to try to understand how it works. 

There are specific songs from genres I'm not into overall (if I'm lucky enough to find them), which just grab me - sometimes because they say something that speaks to me, sometimes because of the bassline. 

What do I most love playing? - we're a blues band going back to little-known early songs, but we bring in flavours of gospel, jazz, early rock'n'roll, prog, and indie. I love anything that we all love playing together. 

• Like 1

I generally put the music on random. Beethoven one minute, Slipknot the next. I don’t listen to music depending on mood. I find that the music can actually set my mood. I love the way I never know what is coming next. When I was younger, I would buy an album and play it to death. Now I struggle to know what songs are on a particular album. 

• Like 1

My music tastes have become quite diverse as I've gotten older. I can enjoy listening to anything from ABBA to Bob Marley, but my first musical love and go to listening will always be, what is now trend termed "Classic Rock / Metal", but what was just plain rock when I was growing up (I guess that makes me classic as well 😋). If I had to list my go to bands it would be something like this Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, BonJovi, Skid Row, Thunder, and things along those lines. There was a thread on here not so long ago about how we developed our musical tastes mostly in our teens and I am the epitome of that. Even though I listen to loads of different bands and genres now, I've never really "got into" bands the way I did in my formative years.

1 hour ago, SICbass said:
8 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

The utterly enthralling modern Athenian poetry of Stassina Xeropopoulos (1902-1989) set to a sparse bouzouki accompaniment.

Or Showaddywaddy.

There is nothing worse than overstated bouzouki!

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

I grew up listening to rock-n'roll and 70's radio offerings. Then I got into hard rock as I hit my teenage years (what a well worn road that appears to be!).

Nowadays I will listen to anything from classical, Jazz, rock, rock'n'roll, country, blues.

Nothing from the pop charts or rap, dance, jungle, hip-hop etc stylee's. No "new" music or stuff that is played on Radio Six or whtever it is called. I might tune into radio one occaisionally but only accidentally and I assume it is static so I move on rapidly.

Pop is fine as long as it is prior to 1988. On or after that is a no-no for me.

Edited by Deanol

I noticed the other day that the common denominator for me is massive string sections! So, Chic and pretty much any classic disco, Pet Shop Boys, Nightwish and other symphonic metal type things (although i find her out of Within Temptation a bit whiny). And probably one of my favourite albums ever is Metallica S&M...