Why become a member? ×

15 year old son looking for help with used bass amps

bobsatthebeach59

Hi   I hope I can get some advice here for my son 

My 15 year old son just started to play bass with his mates in a band and needs a bass combo amp 

He plays electric and bass with a small line 6 spider amp at home and was told that amp would be ok with bass if played low and it serves him well

His music teacher I can not grab to chat for to long as he is always busy but he told me to look for a used peavey with about 80 watts 

We live in Glasgow and I  have looked online and found a few peavey combo  amps from 50 watts upto bigger 

Manage to chat again for a minutes last night but I left none the wiser  except he did ask about the size of the room they are practising etc  the room is a very big living room 

My question is these peavey combo amps like the bandit 112  or the tnt 115  or peavey studio pro 112  can they be used for bass and if so will they be big enough etc 

Just found out what the others are using one guitar player is using blackstar 45 watts the other guitar  is using 50 watts  and electric drums using 100 watts 

Long message I know and sorry I just need to be steered in the right direction 

He is looking at spending about £100

Found this amp for £100 would this be suitable ?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated 

51710843_2071487169597766_1142680863759138816_n.jpg

Edited by bobsatthebeach59
Typo

The Peavey Bandit and Studio Pro are guitar amps so would be no good for bass as they won't cope with the lower notes.  However, the Peavey TNT is a bass amp and that's what I'd go for at that budget.  I used one in a rehearsal studio recently and it sounded good and was loud enough.  I'm not sure of the difference between the different TNT models but in a recent thread their praises were being sung: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/337330-peavey-tnt-130-vs-ashdown-electric-blue-180/

• Like 1

I'd second all of the above - not owned a Peavey, but I've plugged into a few TNTs at rehearsal spaces and gigs, and I've been pleasantly surprised by them. Depending on what's available, it might also be worth considering Laney (e.g., RB3 or RB4) or Ashdown at this sort of price point. (Going second hand can also get you a lot more bang for your buck!)

• Like 1

Also, don't allow yourself to be confused by recommendations for appropriate wattage ... there is SO much more to it than that.

At your price point you won't need to worry about valve combos -v- solid state / digital combos (valves are WAY louder, but also WAY more expensive) but even amongst apparently similar combos with similar ratings there will be some very striking differences in output.

The only thing you really need to remember is that all these combos have volume controls that go down as well as up.

Right now on eBay you have a charity shop barrel-scraper: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEAVEY-Basic-112-1x12-75W-Bass-Combo-Amp-W51/392232252519?hash=item5b52dd3467:g:XgIAAOSwAdFcWuTm

A slightly more modern piece of kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LaneY-Linebacker-KB30-Reverb-Combo-Keyboard-Bass-Guitar-Amplifier-Amp/113577370881?epid=835737403&hash=item1a71bd2501:g:N~sAAOSwsDZcQ6u5

And a ridiculous amount of bangs for your buck: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hartke-Hydrive-210c-Bass-combo/323566788118?hash=item4b56155e16:g:ffsAAOSwtc9buJ8D

Those three are each very different from the others, but all will do what your son needs at this stage. The last of them (the Hartke in Huddersfield) will see him through until he's left home!

Edited by Happy Jack
Bangs for your buck, not bands!

Appreciate all help folk 

For this taxi driver and now new roadie it's all rather confusing and here was me just starting to understand Brexit!!!

I have one amp I sussed out locally and thought it looked the business yesterday but then thought maybe to big but it's the Peavey tnt 115  and I think the black widow speaker but unsure 

Front panel has rrd line around it and a triangle logo with red wiggles at the bottom of front panel 

Guy was asking for £120 but lowered to £100 without me really asking for lower price

Would this amp be the business ?

Cheers

Those old Peavey TNT 115 with Black Widow are outstanding combos. You may not know him but Michel Hatzigeorgiou, the bass player who transcribed all Jaco Pastorius work (and who replaced him during masterclasses when he was too stoned) is still playing his faithful peavey TNT 150 of the 80's... And he's got a terrific sound.

I would go for the TNT as they really are great amps

i use one at a rehearsal studio and much prefer it to the newer more expensive Orange and Ashdown amps there

... you mention the guitarist is using a 45watt blackstar amp , well if that's the tube version its very very loud for a front room practice so ear protection might be worth considering.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobsatthebeach59 said:

Appreciate all help folk 

For this taxi driver and now new roadie it's all rather confusing and here was me just starting to understand Brexit!!!

I have one amp I sussed out locally and thought it looked the business yesterday but then thought maybe to big but it's the Peavey tnt 115  and I think the black widow speaker but unsure 

Front panel has rrd line around it and a triangle logo with red wiggles at the bottom of front panel 

Guy was asking for £120 but lowered to £100 without me really asking for lower price

Would this amp be the business ?

Cheers

Sounds like a good deal to me. Especially if it's in your neck of the woods; it's always nice to be able to go and give it a quick test drive and make sure all the knobs are working before you part with your cash!

On 13/02/2019 at 15:54, bobsatthebeach59 said:

Hi   I hope I can get some advice here for my son 

My 15 year old son just started to play bass with his mates in a band and needs a bass combo amp 

He plays electric and bass with a small line 6 spider amp at home and was told that amp would be ok with bass if played low and it serves him well

His music teacher I can not grab to chat for to long as he is always busy but he told me to look for a used peavey with about 80 watts 

We live in Glasgow and I  have looked online and found a few peavey combo  amps from 50 watts upto bigger 

Manage to chat again for a minutes last night but I left none the wiser  except he did ask about the size of the room they are practising etc  the room is a very big living room 

My question is these peavey combo amps like the bandit 112  or the tnt 115  or peavey studio pro 112  can they be used for bass and if so will they be big enough etc 

Just found out what the others are using one guitar player is using blackstar 45 watts the other guitar  is using 50 watts  and electric drums using 100 watts 

Long message I know and sorry I just need to be steered in the right direction 

He is looking at spending about £100

Found this amp for £100 would this be suitable ?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated 

51710843_2071487169597766_1142680863759138816_n.jpg

That Peavey was my first gigging amp when I was 18 or so. From memory it's about 130W, and would be more than capable for what he's after. Try and haggle the price down to £90 and use the extra tenner for a sack trolley to shift it about, because it weighs a fecking ton.

On 14/02/2019 at 22:42, spencer.b said:

Those Peavey's are great for the money but do bare in mind they're huge and heavy and if you wanted to spend more you could get something way lighter and smaller

His son is 15. 15 year olds love lifting things and proving how strong they are. The price is right, it is local and when the time comes for the next thing then you will be able to get your money straight back out of it. THAT is how you do it. 

1 hour ago, owen said:

His son is 15. 15 year olds love lifting things and proving how strong they are. The price is right, it is local and when the time comes for the next thing then you will be able to get your money straight back out of it. THAT is how you do it. 

I totally agree , I just thought I'd mention incase the OP didn't know you could get small loud amps these days, I love big Peavey combos

• Like 1