Why become a member? ×

Adding a small all valve guitar amp to my bass rig?

Painy

I've now resigned myself to the fact that Mrs Painy is never going to sign off on the expenditure needed for me to buy the Ashdown CTM300 I'd really like (or even a CTM30 for that matter) but I still have an all valve itch that needs scratching. 

I'm thinking about getting a small and affordable all valve guitar head (specifically a Bugera G20) which I can run my bass through for home playing and recording but I'm wondering if I can make use of it live alongside my existing bass rig (a la Dug Pinnick).

My bass amp setup is an Ashdown ABM500 into a pair of Aguilar DB112 cabs and the band is a pretty loud 4 piece playing rock covers (miced up drums, 2 x 100w half stacks). I can DI / mic up into the PA to get a better spread of sound but the backline will be doing most of the work. Would a 20w valve guitar head like that through a small 112 cab be enough to add some noticeable driven highs and mids to compliment the sound of my bass amp (again thinking very loosely along the lines of dug's sound) or is it just likely to get lost in the mix like there's just a wasp in the room? 

Any thoughts or experience that anyone can share would be very much appreciated. 

I get what you're saying (and I'd definitely considered the pedal) but to clarify this would also be used as an actual guitar amp at home / jamming with friends.

Is also more that I'm considering it could be used this way rather than the dug sound being the main goal. 

Basically there's a new toy I want to buy and I'm asking you guys on Basschat to help me justify it! 😄

51 minutes ago, Painy said:

I get what you're saying (and I'd definitely considered the pedal) but to clarify this would also be used as an actual guitar amp at home / jamming with friends.

Is also more that I'm considering it could be used this way rather than the dug sound being the main goal. 

Basically there's a new toy I want to buy and I'm asking you guys on Basschat to help me justify it! 😄

Gotcha.

"Yeah great idea Mrs Painy. He'll be happy forever more and never need any more gear ever." 

• Haha 1