Why become a member? ×

Some music just sounds best in the car!

Barking Spiders

At home I mostly listen to downtempo, mid-tempo electronica but I find I these doesn't work so well for me  when I'm driving. Conversely there's stuff I rarely listen to in the house but in the car that's another matter! I'm thinking of hard trance/house, drum n' bass and rock that has crunching guitar riffing and thundering drums from the likes of Rammstein, Killing Joke, Pantera, Lamb of God and later Anthrax. Just wondering if youse lot  exclusively listen to some genres in the house and others only ever while driving. For me some music was just  made for the car.

9 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

For me some music was just  made for the car.

There's truth in that, plenty of producers (Rick Rubin springs to mind) will refine mixes on the basis of how they sound on car stereo/mobile devices as much as how they sound on studio monitors. Makes sense, you want the music to sound good on the device it's intended for.

My fav album in the car at the moment is Dimensionaut by Sound of Contact altho i never listen to it at home. Generally like Prog in the car.

At home its usually while we are doing dinner that we put background music on anything from Chris Cross to Bowie to Allmans kind of thing.

Dave

1 hour ago, ubit said:

You need a better sound system in your house then mate!

Nah, it's nowt to do with sound systems but the music itself. I guess at home I mostly need to kick back with the missus and the progeny so playing stuff that's in yer face doesn't cut it. In the car you don't really want to be chilling when doing 70 max ( 😉) on the motorway.

• Haha 1

I'm guessing a lot of you chaps have either not yet reached or have gone beyond the 'elderly relative hospital shuttle'?  There were a few years when a lot of my car journeys involved worrying more about the state of the back seat upholstery than what music was playing.🤢😷😂

• Haha 2

Hotel California. While driving an E reg Volvo 1.7 rear wheel drive with brakes that occasionally need pumping a few times before they work. Wouldn't do it now but I was a student and I bought the car for a hundred quid. 

Also Pearl Jam, rear view mirror. Greatest driving song ever.

• Like 1

Basically anything with a lot of dynamics or quiet sections don't work in the car. A lot of classical stuff, some quieter prog stuff etc. Straight modern rock / pop works better in the car where it is compressed to 0dB like everything since the 90s.

I generally listen to radio 6 in the car. Used to be radio 4 but that got too depressing. Sometimes going back to music again since Lauren Laverne took over the breakfast show!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

My wife's Taylor Swift, the Feeling, the Script and One Direction albums sound best in her car. In the driveway. Engine off. Radio off. CD's in cases in the glovebox. Car frozen shut. Car blocked in by mine. 

I’m lucky, Mrs Ubit has a far more extreme taste in metal than I have! 

45 minutes ago, ubit said:

I’m lucky, Mrs Ubit has a far more extreme taste in metal than I have! 

Mrs Lefty likes one Black Stone Cherry song so slowly but surely we are getting there. My two year old daughter loves Sabbath and Killswitch Engage, far more my style!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Mrs Lefty likes one Black Stone Cherry song so slowly but surely we are getting there. My two year old daughter loves Sabbath and Killswitch Engage, far more my style!

Now it’s time to wean her on to Five Finger Death Punch or Adrenaline Mob!

Yikes, I was on the A46 travelling from out Warwick way towards Evesham and had Killing Joke blasting away. I saw a flash go off at the roadside and noticed i was doing 60 in a 50 limit. Ha kinda of ironic since I put up this thread just two days ago!  Another fun half day at another speed awareness course I guess.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yikes, I was on the A46 travelling from out Warwick way towards Evesham and had Killing Joke blasting away. I saw a flash go off at the roadside and noticed i was doing 60 in a 50 limit. Ha kinda of ironic since I put up this thread just two days ago!  Another fun half day at another speed awareness course I guess.

Do they allow you to do the course more than once. Don't think we get that option up in Scotland cause we're a bad lot up here.xD

Edited by dmccombe7