Why become a member? ×

Reverb

lowlandtrees

I sometimes think the best things are found by ignoring rules or what should be, so I would never stop someone trying it.

However, in a band setting, I think adding reverb would not help the clarity of the bass from cutting through the mix, and if your playing is fast or busy, you could just end up with a boomy mush.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I prefer playing my Stagg EUB than my acoustic upright in my 50s rock and roll / country band and use the TC Electronic BodyRez and a Keeley Memphis Sun delay/reverb pedal to just add a smidge of 'air' to proceedings. Hardly anything at all on the delay and reverb, but BodyRez pedal at about 9 o'clock. Band mates much prefer the sound of my Stagg compared to my DB. If you are going to be amplified and particularly through the PA it may work to your advantage to have a tiny bit as you won't hear any 'acoustic' qualities really, but would the PA mixer not have reverb you could try before you buy anything?

Yes. I have a guitar rack processor thing and tried the double bass through it with a bit of reverb and it sounded dreadful. I don’t really want to invest in an expensive reverb device only for it to be dog poo (as the mods describe it). Next time I gig through a decent PA I am gonna try using the PA reverb. I am also on the look out for a used audio image amp. Might get lucky and source the model with reverb!

• 2 months later...

During solo performance or even practice, reverb adds a bit of space and depth to my sound. It makes it feel a bit more dramatic and gives it a warmth and presence that is wholly necessary. When playing with a group, I very rarely use any reverb.