Why become a member? ×

22 fret jazz bass neck

Neck ache

Hello

I was just after a bit of advice and probably a new neck for a 1992 fender jazz bass?

I bought this bass a good few years ago now but it was lent to a mate for the last 6 years and just got it back. I thought it could probably just do with getting set up as the neck looked pretty bent  but after a tech seeing to it he couldn’t get the neck straight but on hindsight it’s always been a bit of a dog to play. 

Can any neck be straightened out or are they sometimes just too gone? 

I got in touch with warmoth and they say they don’t do 22 fret necks to fit/intonate a 4 string platform. 

Does anyone know where I could find a 22 fret neck for a 4 stringed fender jazz bass USA? Or could it still be fixed by a neck doctor?

Added a few pics, the back of the neck looks a bit split?

341C3C57-89EE-4691-BAE6-C4A07D88F94A.jpeg

42E410EA-1B08-478E-93E1-608A8B9B7B1A.jpeg

968FDA48-E8F8-4AF2-9D6A-E85C49904543.jpeg

5A1A8BD7-F807-4AF6-8C07-C96A1E061AEA.jpeg

Yes, it can likely be saved, but a picture looking down the neck would be helpful to illustrate the bow. If the truss rod is maxed out, a washer can be fitted under the truss rod nut to buy back some more turns. If it's twisted it'll need straightening by a luthier who has experience doing this, but avoid anyone who mentions using steam. The crack at the back is also reasonably common and can also be glued up/filled.