Why become a member? ×

Bass hacks on a budget

danbowskill

I thought it might be nice to have a thread for people to look at cost cutting tips when it comes to bass maintenance, accessories, gigging logistics, storage,stage care  and any other thing that makes life easier 🙂

If we can put just 1 tip per post it would help scrolling through easier.

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

I got this great little folding stool for £6. I put my 112 cab on it during gigs or rehearsals on boomy stages. 

(Disclaimer: I know the benefits of floor isolation are always up for debate. It works for me. I don’t want to derail this thread by discussing it 😊)

https://www.diy.com/departments/1-tread-plastic-step-stool-0-22m/1345854_BQ.prd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tired of forking out for expensive sets of nut files?

Simply detune a string enough to slide a 30mm square of 400 grit wet/dry (dry) half way under the string, hold the wet/dry around the string, tune up slightly to provide enough tension to nearly trap the wet/dry under the string, then "sand" the nut with it toward the tuner for the perfect break angle.

I don't know if that's a common hack, but I thought of it myself. I've only done it once, and it seemed to work OK. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

Lost your bottle-opener & struggling to open beer bottles?

Simply use the headstock of your Rickenbacker!

Eh, @Ricky 4000

;)

After all these years, I have finally learnt that Rickenbackers aren't completely useless after all!

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Tired of forking out for expensive sets of nut files?

Simply detune a string enough to slide a 30mm square of 400 grit wet/dry (dry) half way under the string, hold the wet/dry around the string, tune up slightly to provide enough tension to nearly trap the wet/dry under the string, then "sand" the nut with it toward the tuner for the perfect break angle.

I don't know if that's a common hack, but I thought of it myself. I've only done it once, and it seemed to work OK. 👍

Or spend about £1.50 on these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Welding-Tip-Cleaner-Needle-file-set-Jet-cleaner-Nozzle/220417704077?hash=item3351eb408d:g:ohoAAMXQ71xRYR0i:rk:1:pf:0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emergency string Tee for those occasions if you happen to pop out the side accidentally (and don't we hate it when that happens) - keep a cable tie in your gig bag, tie it around behind the nut to increase the break angle.

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Did you find they did the job? I bought a set of those to make some adjustments to a skinny-string, and it was a bit laborious, without yielding great results. (I might try the sandpaper trick tonight, as the D and G still have a habit of popping out of their slots during bigger bends...)

15 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

(I might try the sandpaper trick tonight, as the D and G still have a habit of popping out of their slots during bigger bends...)

Will this also affect the action though?

The strings popping out could be caused by something else e.g. the way the strings are wound.

37 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Will this also affect the action though?

The strings popping out could be caused by something else e.g. the way the strings are wound.

It will, but I'd like to lower it in any case - I've gone up two string gauges from the ones the guitar shipped with, so the strings sit quite a bit higher in the slots that were cut for them at the factory. It probably doesn't help that this shift in gauges has meant going from an unwound G to a wound!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Did you find they did the job? I bought a set of those to make some adjustments to a skinny-string, and it was a bit laborious, without yielding great results. (I might try the sandpaper trick tonight, as the D and G still have a habit of popping out of their slots during bigger bends...)

Worked  for me.

Probably most people know this already, if you have a bass with a very shiny, sticky neck smoothing it down with something like 800 grit wet and dry will flat the finihh and make it feel much smoother.

Don't do this to a bass under warranty or of value unless you understand what you be doing!

42 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Probably most people know this already, if you have a bass with a very shiny, sticky neck smoothing it down with something like 800 grit wet and dry will flat the finihh and make it feel much smoother.

Don't do this to a bass under warranty or of value unless you understand what you be doing!

One of them kitchen sponges with the green pad on works an absolute treat as well for thinning the gloss on a neck

• Like 1

Instead of boiling your dead strings or soaking them in meths like some mad scientist simply stop being a tightwad and order some new ones from a guitar shop or online store, the end result will be the sound of a new set of strings which lasts longer than one gig and is much less time consuming than faffing about with metre long glass tubes or pans.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

If you're having trouble dialing in tone and just can't get the sound you're looking for, don't waste money on a new amp, just drink beer! Everything sounds fkin superb after 8 pints. 

(Unless you live in the South of England, then it's probably cheaper to just buy a new amp)

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Instead of boiling your dead strings or soaking them in meths like some mad scientist simply stop being a tightwad and order some new ones from a guitar shop or online store, the end result will be the sound of a new set of strings which lasts longer than one gig and is much less time consuming than faffing about with metre long glass tubes or pans.

I don't do any of the above boiling, or soaking as I am lazy. However buying something isn't really much of a hack for people on a tight budget so the meths guy wins that round