Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Woodinblack

Zoom B1 Four

Recommended Posts

Noodling around last night, does the B1-four have the Squeak Rock patch? I've stuck a small reverb, put the blend to about 40% on the 'Squeak' and boosted the bottom on the speaker cab and it sounds brutal... :D Gives me a nice 'thrum' feeling in my upper belly.. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also re the 'keeping it simple' comments above - all the effects on this are actually an old Zoom 505. Still got mine and one of the things i do like about it is lack of tweakability.. Compression knee, attack ratio? No idea what that is but i've got Comp1-9 and one of them will probably do.. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JohnDaBass excellent! 

Do you reckon the that the VT Bass and the MS-60B will continue alongside or can you see the B1-4 becoming a one stop shop for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I whipped through the built in patches on the B3n in the first 10 minutes of firing it up then never went there again! I just start from scratch each time.

@operative451, I can't recall if it was your post that pointed me to the Joyo ZGP, but I picked one up and it works really well. I wanted to test a single pedal direct into my audio interface last night so just used the supply from my B3n and the noise was horrendous. Then remembered I bought the ZGP a few days ago and hand't yet tried it, and it made it totally silent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@JohnDaBass excellent! 

Do you reckon the that the VT Bass and the MS-60B will continue alongside or can you see the B1-4 becoming a one stop shop for you?

The plan is to use the MS60-B for tuner & HPF duties and VT Bass for DI duties(as & when required). I am hopeful that the B1-Four will provide all the preset tones I require for the current setlist with the bands I play in. Once I have bought a pedal  I would rather keep it as the second user values seem so low. The VT Bass DI is a fine piece of kit with lovely analogue tone stack and DI. I will probably try to emulate my TC Spectracomp on the B1-Four as first effect of the preset tones. On my other board, like many others, I use the standard Spectracomp compressor Tone-Print set at around 9 o'clock. It just works for me , so if I can get close with the B1-Four compressors I'll be a very Happy Chappie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I think I whipped through the built in patches on the B3n in the first 10 minutes of firing it up then never went there again! I just start from scratch each time.

@operative451, I can't recall if it was your post that pointed me to the Joyo ZGP, but I picked one up and it works really well. I wanted to test a single pedal direct into my audio interface last night so just used the supply from my B3n and the noise was horrendous. Then remembered I bought the ZGP a few days ago and hand't yet tried it, and it made it totally silent!

Yay! Yeah, its a super useful thing - also if you're powering other pedals with a daisy chain, it stops them picking up the 'dial-up' noise from the B3n.. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2p @JohnDaBass

The VTDI has a built in subsonic filter, AKA Thumpinator, but only with the bite switch pressed in. If you have that pressed in and your blend at 100%, you could ditch the HPF unless you feel removing the subs earlier in the chain benefits the effects downstream, or you want to roll off higher to treat it like an EQ and turn down the boom.

I still prefer the TC over the Zoom comps. Something magical about how they dialled that one in, sounds like your tone, but sprinkled with pixie dust!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

My 2p @JohnDaBass

The VTDI has a built in subsonic filter, AKA Thumpinator, but only with the bite switch pressed in. If you have that pressed in and your blend at 100%, you could ditch the HPF unless you feel removing the subs earlier in the chain benefits the effects downstream, or you want to roll off higher to treat it like an EQ and turn down the boom.

I still prefer the TC over the Zoom comps. Something magical about how they dialled that one in, sounds like your tone, but sprinkled with pixie dust!

On the first bit, I think consensus is to clean up the signal with an HPF at the start of the chain => the rest of the pedals (particularly the compressor) are not having to bother with dealing with the 'crud'. 

I'm with you in preferring the TC Spectracomp over the Zoom multi comps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, operative451 said:

Yay! Yeah, its a super useful thing - also if you're powering other pedals with a daisy chain, it stops them picking up the 'dial-up' noise from the B3n.. :D

Oooh the Joyo ZGP does look like a bit of kit worth checking out!

But can't you get the same result using a Noise Gate effect (I think it's the ZNR?) on the Zoom multi? I remember putting that, or something similar, plus an HPF (the low EQ effect) for stand alone use, on quite a few patches when I had my B3N. 

Actually just spotted that Amazon have the Joyo ZGP on sale for £10 inc delivery (apparently 8 left in stock at that price) and given that it comes recommended by two of you on this thread, definitely worth a try out. Order placed! 😊 @operative451 that's the first bit of expenditure I'm laying blame for at your door! Hope this is not the start of a trend 😂

Edited by Al Krow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dannybuoy thanks for that, I was blissfully unaware of the built in subsonic filter on the VTDI. Any idea of the set frequency or gradient? I also have an earlier version of the VT Bass DI Deluxe which does not have the "Bite" button. I still think I will keep the HPF at the start of the chain not to "muddy" the signal, but I'll test the Bite button at rehearsal on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS one to @dave_bass5

Patch [34] Sub Boogie (octave down + chorus) didn't make it passed Judges Houses and has been for the chop...😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

PS one to @dave_bass5

Patch [34] Sub Boogie (octave down + chorus) didn't make it passed Judges Houses and has been for the chop...😀

Never say never, thats why I’m not going to wipe anything just yet. When i had my B3 i never saw the point in the drives and dirt settings, now its very much my flavour of the month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Never say never, thats why I’m not going to wipe anything just yet. When i had my B3 i never saw the point in the drives and dirt settings, now its very much my flavour of the month. 

I've deleted 30 of the 40 original 'pants' patches, leaving just the 10 originals I'm likely to use. 

Deleting patches is not a luxury on the B1/X-4 as you only have 50 slots. I regard it as very necessary housekeeping to leave space for my own bespoke patches. And the effects are always available to create our own patches from.

So I am kinda doing the opposite of you which is to leave all (or pretty much all) the individual effects on, but to delete the pants patches!

On the B3N there were 150 slots available, so you could leave all the original patches on, if you wanted, and still have plenty of slots for your own use. 

Edited by Al Krow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 cull the demo stuff and patches which don't fit with your own personal needs.

My requirements are pretty straight forward 6 OR 7 amp tones to suit the needs of the current set lists of the bands I play with. The B1Four has lots of potential for future song requirements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've deleted 30 of the 40 original 'pants' patches, leaving just the 10 originals I'm likely to use. 

Deleting patches is not a luxury on the B1/X-4 as you only have 50 slots. I regard it as very necessary housekeeping to leave space for my own bespoke patches. And the effects are always available to create our own patches from.

So I am kinda doing the opposite of you which is to leave all (or pretty much all) the individual effects on, but to delete the pants patches!

On the B3N there were 150 slots available, so you could leave all the original patches on, if you wanted, and still have plenty of slots for your own use. 

I can see how that works for some. My thinking is ill overwrite the default patches as and when i need to, but ill also have some possibly interesting patches to play with when i get bored. I’d rather that then to end up with most ‘Empty Patch’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can't you do a factory reset to restore the preset patches?

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I can see how that works for some. My thinking is ill overwrite the default patches as and when i need to, but ill also have some possibly interesting patches to play with when i get bored. I’d rather that then to end up with most ‘Empty Patch’. 

that's how I've done it on my B1on, having said that none of the default patches ever get used.

has it got the tonelib software that the B1on can use?

Must I'm very tempted to get one just to have a play around with, are the overdrive effects better than the B1on? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes to the ToneLib software - you'll need to download the latest version which has been updated to cater for the newly released B1/X-4

You can do a factory reset to restore patches (not that I'm ever likely to do that until the B2X-4 comes out and I move this on). And using the ToneLib software you can back up your own created patches onto your PC so that you don't lose those if you are doing a reset.

Dave will be able to jump in with a comparison to B1on (as I've never had that), but his earlier comments was this is better - which is very much what I would expect as it has the newer DSP / chipset present on the B3n, rather than the older ones on the B1on, MS-60B and B3.

Go on treat yourself, and get the X-rated version whilst your at it! 😉

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny that you should mention the B2Forty5 and B2Forty5 X, as I saw something on the TinterNet that it will be honed from a solid block of Titanium Alloy and have elephant grade footswitches. Can't wait for the marketing blurb. 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

can't you do a factory reset to restore the preset patches?

that's how I've done it on my B1on, having said that none of the default patches ever get used.

has it got the tonelib software that the B1on can use?

Must I'm very tempted to get one just to have a play around with, are the overdrive effects better than the B1on? 

 

Ive not done a side by side comparison, but the B1-4 sounds more solid to me. Less digital than the B1-on. Its a better engine, and the B1-4 has the two Drakglass effects that I absolutely love on the B3n.

Talking of reset, ive just reset mine. I seemed to have mucked up the Motown patch. I dont mind starting again as first time around i wasnt too sure what i was doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

..the B1-4 sounds more solid to me. Less digital than the B1-on. It's a better engine...

That's exactly it! The better the DSP / chipset (= 'engine') the more authentic the sims.

And tbf the Helix Stomp is the next level up in terms of a better engine.  But you'd hope so when you're paying over six times as much, wouldn't you? And as I posted at length last night, I'm really sensing that the B1/X-4 is going to be 'good enough' which, when combined with the easier Zoom 'work-flow' that Jimfist explained better than me earlier, makes this pedal a potential winner.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Talking of reset, ive just reset mine. I seemed to have mucked up the Motown patch. I dont mind starting again as first time around i wasnt too sure what i was doing. 

You do realise needing to do a reset is like landing on the 'go to jail' spot? You'll now need to spend three turns sorting your stuff out or shake a double (whiskey?) or pay a £50 fine to upload my presets 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

@dannybuoy thanks for that, I was blissfully unaware of the built in subsonic filter on the VTDI. Any idea of the set frequency or gradient? I also have an earlier version of the VT Bass DI Deluxe which does not have the "Bite" button. I still think I will keep the HPF at the start of the chain not to "muddy" the signal, but I'll test the Bite button at rehearsal on Sunday.

No idea on the specs of said filter, paging @Tech21NYC!

The VT models without the bite switch, essentially have bite and the subsonic filter always on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh the Joyo ZGP does look like a bit of kit worth checking out!

But can't you get the same result using a Noise Gate effect (I think it's the ZNR?) on the Zoom multi? I remember putting that, or something similar, plus an HPF (the low EQ effect) for stand alone use, on quite a few patches when I had my B3N. 

Actually just spotted that Amazon have the Joyo ZGP on sale for £10 inc delivery (apparently 8 left in stock at that price) and given that it comes recommended by two of you on this thread, definitely worth a try out. Order placed! 😊 @operative451 that's the first bit of expenditure I'm laying blame for at your door! Hope this is not the start of a trend 😂

That's where I got mine from, little bit cheaper than elsewhere!

It's always better to reduce noise at the source rather then fix it with a noise gate or LPF. A noise gate only does it's thing when you stop playing, you can still hear the noise behind your note, particularly as it decays.

The noise I was getting through that Zoom power supply into just a simple One Control Sonic Silver Peg was flipping outrageous, it was louder than the instrument itself! Not sure what was going on there to be honest but that Joyo gadget sorted it 100%.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday. Glad someone was home to reveive it.

Should have some time tomorrow to have a play with it. :-)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I have had a couple of days now to get to know the B1-Four, like many I have "Culled" 20 patches which were definitely not for me leaving 30 slots for building my own patches.

I downloaded all the "Blue Star" effects not loaded when the unit was shipped through the Zoom Guitar Lab software. I have to say how pleased and impressed I am with the quality and the authenticity of the Amp Sim sounds. ( YES I KNOW they are not as good as the Line6 Helix)

I have built 6 Preset Amp Tones that I require for my bands and they sound very ,very close to the sounds I achieve with my VT Bass DI Deluxe, so close in fact, that I don't think anyone could distinguish the difference in a live environment. Done all my tweaking thro Tone Lib using both my Amp rigs so I was able to have a direct comparison. Next task is to put the HPF through it's paces by removing the front speaker grills of my cabs and seeing if it can get close to the Thumpinator.

At present I still think I will keep my MS60-B for tuner & HPF duties and toying with the thought that I may get a second B1-Four to take in my bass guitar case for some of the open-mic nights I frequent in local Pubs who provide a backline. The convenience, portability and compactness of the B1-Four really does allow you to take "Your Sound" with you anywhere. ( Okay, I know there's no DI!!!! but I can always chuck in my case my spare BDI21)

All in all I think Zoom has done a good job!

Edited by JohnDaBass
Error
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...