Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1 Four

Woodinblack

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Nah, maybe i just need to power it up and look lol. I was going by the PDF FX list, which is obviously out of date. 

From memory it was added the same time as the B15 sim

• Like 1

Well I think I've achieved what I planned when purchasing the B1Four. I've created patches which emulate  (95%) of the main 6 pre-sets on my Tech21 VT Bass DI Deluxe. I culled all the standard patches which were of no use to me and organised the patches that are nice to have in banks 10 & 20. My VT Bass patches are saved in 51 thro 57 with Thumpinator at 48, Spectracomp at 49 and Thumpinator + Spectracomp at 50 (basic pass through).

I'm definitely going to key the MS60B at the start of my chain/board, then B1Four into my Tech21 VT Bass DI. All three fit nicely into the small case protecting the B1Four and providing good footswitch access. I now enjoy 100% redundancy so if any single item should fail on a live gig the remaining pedals would get me through . Unlike @Al Krow I'm not planning to sell on any of my current pedals, simply because they don't eat or drink and their value is relatively low in comparison to their sentimental value. 

All in all the B1Four has been a good investment for me.

Edited by JohnDaBass
Error

Ah but my board is pretty much at full capacity...

PB - 1905.jpg

...so if I manage to identify a couple more of my existing pedals which the B1X-4 is doing a very good job of emulating and sell them on, then I'll have space on the board for a couple of new ones I've got my eye on! (And which I know that multifxs, even of Helix calibre, will have difficulty getting close to :) )

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Guest MoJo
6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yes absolutely, as the B3n and the B1(X)-4 share all the same effect sims.

I’ve gone through all the sims on my ‘fresh out of the box’ B3n and I don’t have a sim called Glam Comp

5 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I’ve gone through all the sims on my ‘fresh out of the box’ B3n and I don’t have a sim called Glam Comp

In which case you'll need go to the Zoom website and download their GuitarLab software  onto your PC and then connect your PC via USB cable to your B3n. This will allow you to get all the latest updates and features.

I've embedded a link for you.

10 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Make sure you have the latest FW, Should be V2.0

EDIT: Opps, too slow lol. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Guest MoJo
1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

In that case go to the link posted above and update to V2.0, then you can get the updated effects via Guitarlab. There is also an updated list of effects on the zoom website. 

Dave, I've downloaded GuitarLab and The Updater software but neither can see the B3n. I'm using the micro USB data/charger cable that my wife uses to charge her old Samsung phone and I've tried a couple of other Micro USB charger cables without success. Do I need a particular type of cable?

Some cheaper cables only have two strands of wire to carry charge but not data. See what happens if you hook up a mobile phone with the same cable, if you get the chance to browse the photos on it etc, it should be a good one.

Also check the manual, it's been a long time since I did it so can't remember if this applies to the Zoom, but you usually have to hold down a button when turning it on to activate the connection with these types of devices.

I believe you only need to update the firmware to get the new effects btw, that's all I did, I've never installed the editing app as Windows Defender always blocked it thinking it was infected! I think they made the effects available via that app first, then bundled them into the firmware later.

Edited by dannybuoy

I had exactly the same issues as you Mojo to start with, but it seemed with a bit of perseverance and coaxing to recognise the hardware (in my case the B1X-4) and now connects without any problems; which is all a bit weird! But I'm glad I didn't have to delete and reinstall USB drivers, although it's probably easier than I'm thinking to do.

So unless @jrixn1 has already beaten me to it, I'm guessing my gig outing tonight with the B1X-4 was probably the first out of the blocks for us?

50s and 60s band tonight, so pretty simple use: tuner, most of the set on 'clean' (= HPF + Comp + ZNR) with a couple of tracks using a drive patch I've created based on the MXR DI effect which is a lot less mid-scooped in core tone compared with the DG B7k sim (and similarly less scooped than the DG dirt options on my M900) and therefore cuts through in the mix really well. Managed to combine it with using a Smoothhound wireless pretty easily, without needing to set up a separate mini board.

Performed just fine and slips very easily into the bass gig bag. Going to be a staple of my live sound going forward methinks.

Anyway evidence of the B1X-4 set up ready for use...

Hannah II.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I had exactly the same issues as you Mojo to start with, but it seemed with a bit of perseverance and coaxing to recognise the hardware (in my case the B1X-4) and now connects without any problems; which is all a bit weird! But I'm glad I didn't have to delete and reinstall USB drivers, although it's probably easier than I'm thinking to do.

It is. All i did was delete the device in the My Computer window, so there was no going in to sub folders etc. Windows will then automatically re install the correct drivers and it will appear again. That seems to work for me and ive been doing that since getting my first B3. 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

So unless @jrixn1 has already beaten me to it, I'm guessing my gig outing tonight of the B1X-4 was probably the first out of the blocks for us.

50s and 60s band tonight, so pretty simple use: tuner, most of the set on 'clean' (= HPF + Comp + ZNR) with a couple of tracks using a drive patch based on the MXR DI effect which is a lot less mid-scooped in core tone compared the DG B7k sim and therefore cuts through in the mix really well. Managed to combine it with using a Smoothhound wireless pretty easily, without needing to set up a separate mini board.

Anyway evidence of the B1X-4 set up ready for use...

Hannah II.jpg

Looking good Bas 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Love the new hair style, really suits  you. 

How did you find the B7K sim compares to the amps version? 

Thanks. I've always wanted to go blonde. Going grey first was a nice stepping stone for me.

It's actually pretty good - and one of @dannybuoy's favourites. But the mid scooping does mean it gets lost in a band mix. I spent a bit of time trying out all the B1-4 / B3n drive effects yesterday and landed on a couple which I feel both deliver a really usable drive. I tweaked the 'stock' settings on them to make sure low end is not lost.

One is based one on the MXR DI ('D.I.Plus' effect) and the other on the ProCo RAT ('Squeak' effect). The ProCo RAT I think has a lot of potential as an excellent drive patch - it seems to take good elements from both the MXR DI and the B7K sims and its core tone is in between the two.

I'd happily recommend checking all three sims and be good to hear back folks' thoughts on them. 

Edited by Al Krow

The B7K sim is great, but it has its place. In a 50s/60s band I'd be more inclined to use something else.

In a typical rock/metal track that 500 kHz scoop creates space for the guitars and vocals, letting your bass cut through the mix in the 1-2kHz area.

In a more vintage scenario I'd want the bass to be more dominant in the 250-500 Hz range with not much at all going on above 1k.

I'm pretty settled on using the DuG pedal and Aguilar Tonehammer for both those scenarios so my B3n isn't seeing much use at the moment!

Agree with @dannybuoy a ‘mid-scoop’ does not mean your bass gets lost, it’s all about knowing what other instruments are around, what they need to breathe and where you can poke to gel a sound together.

Regardless of that, if the B7k is a good sim of the real thing, I would say that’s a bad thing, it’s a pretty chaff sound and they should have improved it!

When i got my B3n it was the first time I’d played through a B7K (or sim) and i feel in love with the patch that has the BDDI and B7k. In fact hearing this was what started me out on OD/heavy drive. Never used OD on bass until this point. 

At one point I got a B7K Ultra but sent it straight back after just an hour as i just didn’t feel  i neede3d to spend so much money and still not get the tone i already had. 

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

The B7K sim is great, but it has its place. In a 50s/60s band I'd be more inclined to use something else.

In a typical rock/metal track that 500 kHz scoop creates space for the guitars and vocals, letting your bass cut through the mix in the 1-2kHz area.

In a more vintage scenario I'd want the bass to be more dominant in the 250-500 Hz range with not much at all going on above 1k.

I'm pretty settled on using the DuG pedal and Aguilar Tonehammer for both those scenarios so my B3n isn't seeing much use at the moment!

I hear what you're saying, but I find the net effect of a mid scooped dirt even with my mainstream rock band is relatively subtle as a dirt and this was the point I was making i.e. the bass itself cuts through but the dirt itself doesn't really 'punch'. Whereas with the MXR DI and ProCo Rat sim effects I'm getting a meaty full bodied dirt. 

Taking your vintage EQ point one step further - that's generally true in terms of where I want to be and I achieve that with a clean tone with the treble rolled off on my bass EQ. But for the very occasional 60s track where I want to let fly with dirt (and there were just two tracks in our set two hour of 36 songs last night) I definitely don't want the dirt effect, itself, lost. 

That same point will apply for me to the half dozen or so heavy rock tracks where I'm going to be using dirt with my modern set covers band.

You're obviously liking the dUg - I'm guessing you're getting quite a lot more flexibility with that to go from DG scooped right through to mid punchy as the need arises?

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Agree with @dannybuoy a ‘mid-scoop’ does not mean your bass gets lost, it’s all about knowing what other instruments are around, what they need to breathe and where you can poke to gel a sound together.

Regardless of that, if the B7k is a good sim of the real thing, I would say that’s a bad thing, it’s a pretty chaff sound and they should have improved it!

We’ve just started to play Vertigo and i love how the bass is mid scooped, but so powerful. Ive found i can get that with my Paradriver, but ive not tried it with a proper OD yet.

Having a mid sweep allows me to go from scooped to ‘punk’ P bass with just a smal turn of the freq and level knobs, which i really like. My Q/strip does it better but of course no driver on it, so i dont use it anymore. 

Hmmm, might look at the Flyrig again as that seems to offer most of what i need, even though its mains powered.

Edited by dave_bass5

Guest MoJo
12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

All sorted. Bought a new USB cable hooked it up, waited for the drivers to install et voila, I'm on version 2.0. Thanks guys for your advice

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

We’ve just started to play Vertigo and i love how the bass is mid scooped, but so powerful. Ive found i can get that with my Paradriver, but ive not tried it with a proper OD yet.

Having a mid sweep allows me to go from scooped to ‘punk’ P bass with just a smal turn of the freq and level knobs, which i really like. My Q/strip does it better but of course no driver on it, so i dont use it anymore. 

Hmmm, might look at the Flyrig again as that seems to offer most of what i need, even though its mains powered.

Ok you're definitely become a worse pedal tart than me 😀😂

Anyway this is all a short interlude till you 'rediscover' your BDDI... and you can then put behind you all this mid-scooped metal-head dirt use and get back to being a proper P-bass player 😉

17 minutes ago, MoJo said:

All sorted. Bought a new USB cable hooked it up, waited for the drivers to install et voila, I'm on version 2.0. Thanks guys for your advice

Great. You're on your way! :) 

Edited by Al Krow