Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1 Four

Woodinblack

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Think I’m going to need to try one. For some reason I expect it to be a bit “meh”

On paper it is, it’s mainly an EQ pedal and not even a paprametric, with a sub par OD and a one knob comp. For me the magic is how the EQ works, especially the high mid. I go from a grinding P bass to a scooped slap tone (not that I slap much) with just that one knob. In fact I went and got a BH800 based on owning the Spectradrive

I sent my first one back as I didn’t really gel with it, but second time around it made a much bigger impression. I even stopped needing my Q/strip. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Is anyone using either of the pitch shifters in the B1-Four?

Being able to go up or down a tone (no more) is the main reason i use my B1 four over my Spectradrive, but when i use them i get a chorus type of ‘wobble’ to the notes. I have balance at 100% so its just the effected tone, but its very off putting. Maybe I’m doing something wrong but i dont get this with the B1-ON. 

Which are the two pitch shifters you are using on the B1-4 and are these the same Zoom effect as on the B1on (and MS-60B)?

What precise settings do you have them on besides the dry / wet balance? I'll give them a go on your settings on mine and let you know. 

8 hours ago, owen said:

But if it is the Spectracomp in there then it is SO much more. I LURVE my Spectracomp. 

Did I read somewhere that the drive on the TC SD can now be changed using Tone print - or am I just imagining that? If it can, that could deal with the one weak spot of the pedal based on folks' comments that the drive is a bit 'meh' on the SD. 

A couple of practical points to note:

1) if you scroll up and down through one bank you're doing the same across ALL FIVE banks i.e. go from 10 --> 12, means if you switch banks you'll be on 22, 32, 42 and 52 on the other four banks

2) useful warning comes up to tell you that your batteries are low!

According to the FX list, the Pitch Shift effect looks identical. The 'analog' octaver has a -1 and -2 oct control on the guitar version (just like an OC-2), but just a -1 oct and hi/lo EQ on the bass version. It's likely that the octave tracking and tone is otherwise the same - otherwise I would've hoped if they nailed an OC-2 tone they would've put it on the bass version too! The guitar version is missing an additional monophonic pitch effect that is on the bass version.

57 minutes ago, Machines said:

I got bored of waiting and bought a 2nd hand B3N.

It's an excellent bit of kit! 😎 

But surprised the B1-4 is taking so long to come through. I think a few of us managed to order from Zoom UK directly (via the link Dave provided) and got our B1-4 and B1X-4 within 48 hours. 

I had a bit of fun using the expression pedal on the B1X-4 at rehearsal last night using the Wah-distortion stock patch on one of our covers. Basically scrolled through clean --> Dark Pre --> Wah-dis to provide a bit of colour to the repeated bass line. Got the thumbs up from my bandmates.

For me definitely worth the extra £15 to have the wah pedal included in one unit. 

Bas, seeing as you seem to be our resident expert at the moment, and i know you have a micro thumpinator, have you found the HPF is as good/better/not worth using in the B1-Four?

we’ve started rehearsing in a room with a hollow stage, and its a nightmare for low freqs. I’m going to start using my Gramma pad but was thinking of using a HPF as well. I could use my Micro Thumpinator but if the B1 is just as good i might consider using that (also for one or two other effects if its there). 

30 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

we’ve started rehearsing in a room with a hollow stage, and its a nightmare for low freqs. I’m going to start using my Gramma pad but was thinking of using a HPF as well. I could use my Micro Thumpinator but if the B1 is just as good i might consider using that (also for one or two other effects if its there). 

To be fair @dave_bass5 you’re in the unique position to just bring all three along and test it for yourself. Nothing quite like lived/gigged experience with the gear in the actual environment it’s getting used to decide if it works. You could possibly set the hpf up to a different setting/response to the Thumpinator and compare/contrast and get it right for your needs. 

6 minutes ago, krispn said:

To be fair @dave_bass5 you’re in the unique position to just bring all three along and test it for yourself. Nothing quite like lived/gigged experience with the gear in the actual environment it’s getting used to decide if it works. You could possibly set the hpf up to a different setting/response to the Thumpinator and compare/contrast and get it right for your needs. 

The thing is I’m there to rehearse, not play with pedals. Its  hard enough getting through all the songs, I wouldn’t have time to do comparisons etc. 

I’m also trying to  get away from using mains powered effects, so i don’t actually  want to use my Thumpinator, even if it did do the job. Its on my pedal board that ill use for gigs, but i don’t take to rehearsals. 

Ill see how i get on with the Gramma pad first, as thats the easiest option and designed for this sort of thing anyway. Its not that the low end is overly boomy, just that it can be felt so much through the wooden floor that it overpowers the mids and highs somewhat. If it doesn't work ill try the B1 next. Its only for rehearsals anyway. 

Cheers anyway. 

I had the same issue playing on boomy theatre stages and had considered the gramma pad too. Those lows can become quite obtrusive! 

You could just switch the zoom on and off as a comparison or have two alternative patches- one set at the thumpinator setting and an alternative and engage one then the other. Easy! 

• Like 1

Dave - my Thumpinator is only being used on my home board and the B1X-4 has just had a couple of outings to rehearsals, so not sure my experience is any better than yours. 

But here's the thing: both the Thumpinator and HPF on my Zoom have been set to primarily tackle the sub-audio range to let my cabs 'breathe' and my pedals not have to deal with the energy absorbing low end of sub 30 Hz. 

In terms of room boominess won't that more likely be in the 30Hz to 60Hz range? In which case neither the Thumpinator nor the HPF, the way I have it set, are going to help. 

If I'm right, you'd be better off cutting at 50Hz on the GEQ effect, or setting your HPF to start cutting at 80Hz as John is doing. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

As above the Thumpinator is designed to cut out the frequencies below 30Hz that your cab cannot reproduce. If you're getting too much boom in the 40-60Hz region, but don't want to just 'turn down the bass' as that will also impact the higher bass frequencies, a less steep but adjustable HPF like the Broughton or the one in the Zoom is just the ticket!

Your can also try raising your cab off the floor or just repositioning it. The closer it is to a wall or corner, the more bass you'll get.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

its not that it’s boomy, it’s more over powering because I’m feeling it through the floor more. Having listened back to the recording taken from further down the room the tone isnt too bad, not boomy as such, but lacking upper mids, so i know the actual tone coming out the cab isnt too far off once away from the playing area, but yes, I’m in a corner on a wooden stage so it seems the Gramma pad is the way to go. 

I had the low end turned down on the amp, which is a 50hz cut and it did make a difference. I really dont want to get in to using another effect pedal, I’m trying to cut down, but if the B1 can cover all that I’m using already, and add HPF then ill give it a go at some point. Maybe ill get my Q/strip out, i know that will fix things, but then thats adding another pedal to the chain.

My thinking about using the B1’s HPF was just to allow me to turn my rig up a bit higher once ive lowered the low end without putting too much stress on the cab. The question about B1 vs Thumpinator was more to find out if the HPF works as it should, as it seems more versatile with its adjustable parameters. I dont rehearse much and always use headphones at home. No way i could hear any difference on or off like this so unfortunately  i dont have the luxury of testing them out until i do get to rehearsals, and thats pretty much full on playing

I expect all that sounds confused, but i know what i mean lol. 

I suspect you won't actually hear any difference with the Thumpinator as it is clearing out the sub-audio frequency crud and what it's removing is, by definition, inaudible.

What you can see is the beneficial impact on speaker excursion (and by implication speaker efficiency in the audible range) which is very clear to see on the YouTube Thumpinator clip. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I suspect you won't actually hear any difference with the Thumpinator as it is clearing out the sub-audio frequency crud and what it's removing is, by definition, inaudible.

What you can see is the beneficial impact on speaker excursion (and by implication speaker efficiency in the audible range) which is very clear to see on the YouTube Thumpinator clip. 

Yes, im not looking to cut anything audible with a HPF, just to back off the amount of sub low end and so allow me to turn up more without too much stress on the cab.

The only reason i posted in this thread is im interested in the difference between the HPF and Thumpinator, as you have both and i thought you had used both in a band situation.. I wasnt really looking to discuss a solution to a widely known issue with hollow stages here, even though the two were mentioned in the same post. It does seem like the HPF in the B1 is more useful though but the Gramma pad is the way to go.

Helpful relies none the less though.

one thing does puzzle me about the need for a Thumpinator (and I agree you don't want low end crud) if it's inaudible why wouldn't amp designers design their amps not to produce it, after all it's soaking up power to no obvious benefit

4 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

one thing does puzzle me about the need for a Thumpinator (and I agree you don't want low end crud) if it's inaudible why wouldn't amp designers design their amps not to produce it, after all it's soaking up power to no obvious benefit

A number of decent amps certainly do have a hpf as part of their EQ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

A number of decent amps certainly do have a hpf as part of their EQ.

And of course having it in the amp isnt always the best place for. Having a cleaner signal flowing through an effects chain before the amp can work wonders as well. In fact i think most of us use them like that anyway.

Come to think of it my Paradriver has a HPF built in, but im assuming thats really only working if i have the blend on 100%, which is a bit too full on for my liking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, krispn said:

I had the same issue playing on boomy theatre stages and had considered the gramma pad too. Those lows can become quite obtrusive! 

I used to use the Gramma pad a lot, as we were doing a lot of Social clubs, most having wooden stages. I got lazy over the past few years though and its now gathering dust at work as a work shelf. Ill dust it down for the next rehearsal. Im sure it will make a difference to what i feel on my feet if nothing else.