Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1 Four

Woodinblack

12 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Could try powering it from a socket but via USB.  That's what I do with my B1on.

Thanks - just tried that.

USB power by itself is still a little background noisy. But when I inserted the PSU (switched off) as well that seemed to 'earth it' and the noise disappeared!

I think @operative451 mentioned using a Ground Lift pedal earlier in this thread (or the B3N thread) which I'm guessing is achieving the same result.

But given that I have a couple of months supply of AA batteries, that'll keep me going for a while and I suspect I may just go rechargeable AAs thereafter.

Edited by Al Krow

I don’t know if I was clear enough regarding noise - my B1on is noiseless when you’re not playing (after some careful tweaking and with amp sims off) but there’s digital noise when playing, ‘behind’ the sound, and noticeable especially when notes decay. 

2 minutes ago, ped said:

I don’t know if I was clear enough regarding noise - my B1on is noiseless when you’re not playing (after some careful tweaking and with amp sims off) but there’s digital noise when playing, ‘behind’ the sound, and noticeable especially when notes decay. 

Yes, i hear that as well with the B1-on. As you say the sound seems more digital at the end of the note. There is also a high end boost with most of the patches. Because i play with a pick its more noticeable. I don’t mind it because I’m only playing at home, normally along to a YouTube video so it gets masked

To my ears the Four has less than the B1-on on all the above. Obviously drives etc will produce noise but there was no hum or hiss when not playing, and the notes just seemed more ‘real’.  Ill try it ion a PSU tonight as well, but i have no intention of using one with this device. 

• Like 1

Bas, good write up. Glad someone did it. 

As far as number or patches go, I’m glad they kept the number down. As you say, a lot of the stock ones are a bit naff, so it’s better to overwrite them rather than to have to keep scrolling past them IMO.

i struggle with too much choice, so not having all the slight variations that the B1-on and B3n have is a blessing. I think with the previous units Zoom put too many only slightly different  patches in, and it made settling on just one harder for me, and time consuming jumping between them. I can see the Four will be less of this, as ill make up the patches i want and won’t be tempted to keep trying others. 

Definitely a lot of the B3n patches that I’m used to are missing, but it will be fun re creating them i guess. Ive never used the software before and will try to do it all on the pedal itself, that way ill get a good knowledge of how it works, but ill also give the software a look. I wonder if B3n patches can be loaded in to it (doubtful). 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2019 at 13:08, dave_bass5 said:

You're welcome guys. Just dont blame me if its a scam lol.

Bas, have you started the new thread yet 🙂

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Definitely a lot of the B3n patches that I’m used to are missing, but it will be fun re creating them i guess. Ive never used the software before and will try to do it all on the pedal itself, that way ill get a good knowledge of how it works, but ill also give the software a look. 

Hah! I do now have an idea for a new thread - which could be useful for those of looking to create bespoke patches :) 

Effects list: https://www.zoom-uk.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_B1FOUR_FX-list.pdf

Looking at the effects list, it seems some effects (marked with blue star, eg "Low EQ") are only available as "Guitar Lab additional effects".  I don't have a Windows or Mac computer - I guess I could borrow one from a friend - but can someone confirm that once the effects are added to the Zoom B1 Four via Guitar Lab that they are then available on the Zoom B1 Four permanently?

6 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

I would like to voice my (& our) grateful thanks to our "First Adopter" contributors @Al Krow & @dave_bass5 for their informative insights to the new Zoom B1Four. 

Thanks Guys!

Really helpful! 

You're very welcome!

Just had a chance to play through my rig, rather than just headphones - sounded really good, and it was fun putting the wah pedal into use.

I've updated my earlier mini review with a couple of additional points.

Yup this is going to be getting live use from me for sure! 

I've already got a sneaky suspicion this is is going to be the best use of £85 that I spend on bass gear in 2019! :) 

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I take no responsibility if you don’t like it lol

It's ok, buddy, you're not at risk: JdB put his order in before us - but for some reason chose to go with more expensive and slower delivery 😂

• Haha 1

A couple of questions. Firstly no-one seems to have it in stock. Where did the ones shown on this thread come from?

As a satisfied B1on owner, the editing software is great, something I missed from my old Korg AX3000B. 

So the tuner on the B1on is great, if it shows in tune, all my other tuners agree but it does not work the other way around. How good is the tuner?

When I am feeling lazy and can't be bothered to take a tuned down bass, I use the pitch shifter on the B1on. It is adequate but not great. Is the B1four better?

Edited by Chienmortbb

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Effects list: https://www.zoom-uk.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_B1FOUR_FX-list.pdf

Looking at the effects list, it seems some effects (marked with blue star, eg "Low EQ") are only available as "Guitar Lab additional effects".  I don't have a Windows or Mac computer - I guess I could borrow one from a friend - but can someone confirm that once the effects are added to the Zoom B1 Four via Guitar Lab that they are then available on the Zoom B1 Four permanently?

I am a mac user and some Windows programmes will work with playonmac. I will try it later but one problem is sometime USB comms.

1 minute ago, Chienmortbb said:

I am a mac user and some Windows programmes will work with playonmac. I will try it later but one problem is sometime USB comms.

My particular issue is that I'm on Ubuntu, and the Zoom software doesn't work for me with Wine (the Windows emulator).

7 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

A couple of questions. Firstly no-one seems to have it in stock. Where did the ones shown on this thread come from?

The Zoom UK distributor via eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoom-B1-Four-UK-Bass-Multi-Effects-Pedal/264303958550

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoom-B1x-Four-UK-Bass-Multi-Effects-Pedal/264303947967

17 minutes ago, Dennis1971 said:

Ordered Zoom B1 Four...via Zoom UK on ebay. Should ship today with Royal Mail 1st class. Better find a headphone. Bluetooth won't work I think.

Welcome aboard! 

Are you already a Zoom multi user?

52 minutes ago, Dennis1971 said:

Ordered Zoom B1 Four...via Zoom UK on ebay. Should ship today with Royal Mail 1st class. Better find a headphone. Bluetooth won't work I think.

Could also be DPD that delivers,  who are a lot more reliable IME 

15 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I struggle with too much choice, so not having all the slight variations that the B1-on and B3n have is a blessing. I think with the previous units Zoom put too many only slightly different  patches in, and it made settling on just one harder for me, and time consuming jumping between them. I can see the Four will be less of this, as ill make up the patches i want and won’t be tempted to keep trying others. 

Kinda know what you're getting at and you're right that the 'less is more' philosophy can certainly be true for pedals when it comes to complexity and being put-off getting to grips with stuff that requires detailed PC editing. 

Had a bit of fun with the tuner, looper and drums this evening.

The tuner has three centre lights which come on when you're in tune (as John mentioned earlier) and this is going to be very welcome for anyone gigging / in darker venues.

The looper is relatively short at 30 secs but easy to use with a separate button to engage. It seemed all too easy to me to clear what you've just recorded! Pretty basic in that it's just one up to 30 secs loop pattern that can be stored and doesn't record from the aux in, only the bass. Contrast that with a decent looper e.g. my Boss RC-30 which has 3 hours of recording time and 99 loops available.

Similarly there's a separate button for the drum machine. Again a pretty basic feature, but useful for home practice. 62 different drum patterns (55 of which are in 4/4) that can be easily accessed by turning the first dial and you can also set volume and tempo with the other dials. The patterns can't be edited, so my Alesis SR18 can rest easy for now...

Not sure I'll be making too much use of the looper, but the drums will get used for home practice and the tuner is neat.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Yeah, the drum section has been much better implemented over the previous Bxx units. As i pointed out earlier each knob controls a different parameter. With the B1on you had to scroll to each parameter, press enter and then you could adjust it. A bit long winded. 

Ive only every used the looper on my B1on once, and it was pretty cool but not something i would use again. 

11 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, the drum section has been much better implemented over the previous Bxx units. As i pointed out earlier each knob controls a different parameter. With the B1on you had to scroll to each parameter, press enter and then you could adjust it. A bit long winded. 

Are the drums also easier to access than on the B3N would you say? Must admit I never really bothered with the drum feature on the B3N, I'm guessing because it was a little bit more fiddly to access than just pressing a button that's labelled "drums"! Although looking at the rhythm list in the B3N manual it's an identical set of drum patterns to that on the B1/X-4.

Oh and I had little play with patch [29] "A wah" tonight and it seems better than I remember it on the B3N, but I guess I must be hearing things or my funk technique has become more Zoom approved - lol! I could see myself using that one live instead of an MXR M82. Let me know what you think about that patch given that you've recently also got yourself the MXR?

Having started using on the patch editor last night, creating and saving new patches on the unit itself still feels to me very cumbersome (actually more so than on the B3N with it's triple window interface vs the single window on the B1/X-4) and I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into ToneLib** for patch creation, editing and ordering.

** the latest version of ToneLib is ver 3.7.6 and it's fully set up for the B1/X-4 (the earlier versions weren't). I even managed to find a red USB cable to be on-Zoom brand - lol! 

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, JohnDaBass said:

@Al Krow & @dave_bass5 how does the HPF compare to the Thumpinator? 

Morning John! :) The available effects on the B1/X-4 are pretty much identical to that on the B3N - so the discussion that we had on HPFs earlier on in this thread (or was it the recent B3N thread?) will all still be 100% on point.

• Like 1

Just posted a little sound clip of the A-wah filter on the Filter and Synth sounds thread. I'm kinda surprised how good this is as multi fx have never been famous for their filter and synth sounds, but I could definitely see myself using this patch 'live'. (I even remembered to save it as an mp3 file so that Dave can download :) )

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1