Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1 Four

Woodinblack

42 minutes ago, ped said:

Do you have a B1on to compare it to? I'm interested in the new one if it's less noisy.

Nope, I plan on keeping my MS-60B  (metal case & very robust) for tuner and HPF then the B1Four  (not the X) for amp Sims, cab Sims and compressor duties. 

Bass>> MS-60B >> B1Four >> Tech21 VT Bass DI>> Amp (Fender Rumble 500 or Mesa Subway D800)>> BF Super Compact x1or 2.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

may be wrong but MS 60B and the B1on use the same chipset so should sound the same, the way I see it is the B1on , MS60B and B3 are basically the same thing with different cases and ways of adjusting the patches

But the wiring and shielding may differ. Plastic vs metal casing etc. So that could well result in the noise issue on the B1on that Ped mentions that we don't seem to be getting with the MS-60B. 

Yeah it seems to be the amp models that cause it mostly, in terms of 'noise' - but even without those, so everything is quiet, there's some digital artefact noise. It's a bit like there's a very subtle noise gate going on. Like I said though I still think it's fantastic for such a tiny and cheap unit and it's only really noticeable as I'm looking for a perfect HiFi sound, but it's frustrating there's not something better with the same portability and batt power. Hoping the B1 Four is that thing!

Im with you on that Ped. I use my B1on most of the time at home, and my B3n stays in the draw (not sure where my 60B is) because of the ability to use battery power.

I wish i had kept my old B3 now, but looking forward to the B1Four now.

I did dig the B3n out a over Easter, but i found it harder to use the Drum machine compared to the B1on. Hopefully the B1 Four will be as easy to use as the B1on

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Im with you on that Ped. I use my B1on most of the time at home, and my B3n stays in the draw (not sure where my 60B is) because of the ability to use battery power.

I did dig the B3n out a over Easter, but i found it harder to use the Drum machine compared to the B1on. Hopefully the B1 Four will be as easy to use as the B1on

Yes the looper and drum machine are so easy to use. It’s really great - editing patches is a bit fiddly but I don’t mind the trade off and once they’re set you don’t need to fiddle too often. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Why do you favour the B3 over the B3n, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Because the B3 will run off battery. No other reason. 

Although not Dave's reason, the B3 also has a DI out which the B3N annoyingly doesn't. (But otherwise it would seem that the B3N is the better unit). 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Although not Dave's reason, the B3 also has a DI out which the B3N annoyingly doesn't. (But otherwise it would seem that the B3N is the better unit). 

Yeah, the B3n is definitely more geared towards live use, other than no XLR. 

7 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, the B3n is definitely more geared towards live use, other than no XLR. 

I’m looking for a unit to use at a gig, in front of my amp, so the lack of a DI wouldn’t be an issue 

46 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I’m looking for a unit to use at a gig, in front of my amp, so the lack of a DI wouldn’t be an issue 

In terms of all round capability combined with value for money the Zoom B3N is very hard to beat. 

The new Zoom B1 Four may, however, be a really good alternative, given it has the same chipset as the B3N. 

26 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

According to the FX list I've downloaded from the Zoom site there are 10 amp Sims and 12 cab Sims on the B1Four. 

What are you going to be playing through?

Unless I was going straight into a PA, I'm kinda struggling to see the need for an amp and cab sim, given that I'm pretty happy with how my amps and cabs sound.

• Like 1

If we put a B1 Four with an expression pedal at the end of the signal chain, am I correct in assuming that the expression pedal will modulate all the preceding effects before the B1 Four and not just the B1 Four's own effects? 

If so, that's going to add another fun dimension in getting the X version, and for the additional £15 or so it's a lot cheaper than getting a standalone expression pedal. 

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Where did you order it from?

GAK 

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What are you going to be playing through?

Fender Rumble 500 or Mesa Subway D800 into one or two BF Super Compacts. 

I use the amps set for a preselected tone or set clean/flat, then have preselected tones on the pedal board to toggle between each tone for specific songs.

When the B1Four arrives I'll post a before & after on the "Show your pedal board thread" of the small board and the other larger board I use. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, as far as digital sqzchqsch noise goes, i have a joyo filter thingy in between the power supply and the B3n, sorts it right out. Also i find that sometimes my bass pickups er, pick up noise from computers, digital TVs etc. I've got a Ground lift box thing that tends to clean that up too (zoom to amp)...

I live in an old building, probably dodgy electrics...

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

If we put a B1 Four with an expression pedal at the end of the signal chain, am I correct in assuming that the expression pedal will modulate all the preceding effects before the B1 Four and not just the B1 Four's own effects? 

If so, that's going to add another fun dimension in getting the X version, and for the additional £15 or so it's a lot cheaper than getting a standalone expression pedal. 

Yes, whatever the expression pedal has been programmed to do will effect the whole signal chain if the B1 is last in the chain.

• Thanks 1