Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1 Four

Woodinblack

When did this sneak out?

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/bass/zoom-b1-four-b1x-four-bass-multi-effects-processors

This seems like an ideal thing for a small pedalboard, with 5 effects (not sure what the 4 is for)

Has it been out a while and I just missed it? Seems perfect for a lot of occasions

• Like 1

I like the look of this.  I use a MS-60B live and have a B1on at home.  For me, the MS-60B is fine for gigging but it would be nice to be able to switch patches either way (the MS-60B you can only move forward to the next patch), and be slightly less fiddly to change individual effect parameters.  However, I do want a small unit, so didn't want to move to the B3n.  From looking at the photos of B1 Four, I hope the buttons marked 1 to 5 will be a direct way to edit each of the five effects of the current patch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh god, more money going out of my account. I use my B1-on almost every day for practising at home, but this looks much nicer. I have aB3n but never use it.

Interesting. Why do you use the B1-on in preference to the B3n?

This popped up on Zoom's site during the Namm show a week or so ago.

It'll be better than the B1on for certain effects, it should contain the Darkglass models from the B3n for one, also I think the amp models on the B3n are a step up from the previous generation, I couldn't get a decent overdriven SVT from the B3/B1on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

I the actual sound processing better then the B1on? I find mine OK for messing about when travelling with my mini bass, but it's a tad noisy on some settings.

I’m on my second  B1-on. The first was fine but i too found it a bit noisier than the B3. Fine for what i needed but it seemed like i was just duplicating what i had already, so sent it back. 

I got my son the Guitar version a while afterwards and he wanted the bass one as well, so we got another. Ive used it ever since. I really only use one amp/cab set up, I don’t use the effects as such, but i do  use the pitch shifter for learning songs in other keys (not a great tone, but good enough for me to learn with). I know the B3n is still better, but not better enough for me to give up the portability. I wish i had kept my old B3 now....

I do love the DK models in the B3n, it would be nice to have them for messing around with. 

I quite like the look of the GCE-3 as well. Very small and tidy. 

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’m on my second  B1-on. The first was fine but i too found it a bit noisier than the B3. Fine for what i needed but it seemed like i was just duplicating what i had already, so sent it back. 

I got my son the Guitar version a while afterwards and he wanted the bass one as well, so we got another. Ive used it ever since. I really only use one amp/cab set up, I don’t use the effects as such, but i do  use the pitch shifter for learning songs in other keys (not a great tone, but good enough for me to learn with). I know the B3n is still better, but not better enough for me to give up the portability. I wish i had kept my old B3 now....

I do love the DK models in the B3n, it would be nice to have them for messing around with. 

I quite like the look of the GCE-3 as well. Very small and tidy. 

As you might know I use a similar device, the Roland VB99, at home - it’s kind of like a B1on in principle and I suppose it’s spoilt me for anything else but I do find the B1on really handy for taking out with the Wingbass; it even fits in the tiny gig bag pocket! I agree it sounds great for the price/size. Like you I managed to make a pretty quiet ‘clean’ patch which was created by delicately balancing the pre and effects (tend to use reverb) and also the limiter. There’s still some digital noise at the end of a long note as it starts to decay but hardly an issue for the price of the thing. However it doesn’t stop me thinking how great it would be to have a perfect sounding version. Or maybe I could stuff batteries in the VB99 🤔

3 hours ago, ped said:

As you might know I use a similar device, the Roland VB99, at home - it’s kind of like a B1on in principle and I suppose it’s spoilt me for anything else but I do find the B1on really handy for taking out with the Wingbass; it even fits in the tiny gig bag pocket! I agree it sounds great for the price/size. Like you I managed to make a pretty quiet ‘clean’ patch which was created by delicately balancing the pre and effects (tend to use reverb) and also the limiter. There’s still some digital noise at the end of a long note as it starts to decay but hardly an issue for the price of the thing. However it doesn’t stop me thinking how great it would be to have a perfect sounding version. Or maybe I could stuff batteries in the VB99 🤔

When i practice i always have my ipad plugged in to the B1 (or Spectradrive sometimes) so any noise created by the converters is masked anyway. In fact sometimes, and I know this goes against all ive said above, i  plug my pedal board in to it and run the B1 in tuner mode. Not often, but when i get a new pedal or need to play with the pedals. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ore-ordered the Four yet? 

The B1on is a great bit of kit. As with all the digital multi effects units I have had or tried, it can be noisy at extreme settings . My only real gripe with it is that you have to go into a patch or effect to change volume or EQ. 

The Four seems to have that covered as all four controls are analogue (OK they may be rotary encoders rather than analogue pots, but they are physical knobs).

The real feature I like is the Editing software. It is a PITA to programme any digital multi effects unit from the  knobs and buttons on the front. I also have a Korb AC3000B and that is a breeze to programme from a computer.

What is missing? A DI out. Not a big thing for me  as the DI on my amp is excellent and I have  an Orchid DI  on my pedal board. 

One final thing about noise. The B1on is digital and like many digital effects units will cause noise on the power line if you don’t use a truly isolated power supply. Almost every digital pedal does this. 

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 11:57, Woodinblack said:

When did this sneak out?

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/bass/zoom-b1-four-b1x-four-bass-multi-effects-processors

This seems like an ideal thing for a small pedalboard, with 5 effects (not sure what the 4 is for)

Has it been out a while and I just missed it? Seems perfect for a lot of occasions

My guess is that the Four indicates the  4 rotary controls. 

• 4 weeks later...

Dang - just spotted that the B1 Four has an aux in and the output jack is "for connection to amp or headphones".

It's got the DSP of the B3n, rather than the older chips present in the previous generation B3 and MS-60B (and I assume the B1on too?)

At £68 that makes it an incredible value multifx headphone amp.

Be able to edit with Guitar Lab / no doubt the excellent Tone Lib software will be adapted for this very shortly also too.  As @Chienmortbb said above "It is a PITA to programme any digital multi effects unit from the  knobs and buttons on the front." Completely agree, particularly the MS-60B in my experience.

An expression pedal for another £17 is going to make this a LOT of fun as a stand alone multi to take to rehearsals and gigs. Having sold my B3n to get a Helix Stomp, I'm actually tempted by the fun and convenience of this little thing to go back to a Zoom multi (although I've kept my MS-60B probably more for nostalgia as it was one of the first bass pedals I ever bought) and not to mention its price!

...Shame: I've just discovered it's got a plastic chassis which puts a bit of question-mark over how rugged the B1 Four is going to be.

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Ordered yesterday, due next week. 

I'll keep you Guys updated. 

Excellent.

For the money, it's almost a no brainer! And looks a lot of fun, particularly with the expression pedal.

I can't really 'justify' getting based on my lack of gig use of my existing pedals, however for the money it's almost a no brainer. 

...oh dear, I seem to have got caught in the Looper 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Do you have a B1on to compare it to? I'm interested in the new one if it's less noisy.

Ah, that's a new bit of information. The B1on is noisy in what sense? 

Fyi no noise issues for me at all with the B3N with an isolated supply. 

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah, that's a new bit of information. The B1on is noisy in what sense? 

Fyi no noise issues for me at all with the B3N with an isolated supply. 

I only ever use the B1on with batteries. There's a fair amount of noise/fizz unless you tame it by turning off any amp/cab models. I have spent ages getting the quietest patch possible which is the Avalon DI model and some reverb. Even so, there's some digital noise when you hear a note decay. Not much, but it's there. Hardly worth bothering about but annoying when you notice it, and a bit annoying that you can't use many of the models because of it. For the price and size I still think it's excellent and worthy of a spot in my travel bass gig bag. 

Thanks Ped. That's definitely worth knowing and would be a deal breaker for me. I'd prefer to pay a little more for better quality. No point having a bass and rig that you're really happy with and then your sound mucked up by a £40 pedal. 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Ped. That's definitely worth knowing and would be a deal breaker for me. I'd prefer to pay a little more for better quality. No point having a bass and rig that you're really happy with and then your sound mucked up by a £40 pedal. 

I only ever use it with headphones and mostly playing solo so it may not be noticeable for some people, and maybe not through a rig - but I do tend to be hyper critical of small details like that when using cans. I find any noise really distracting... but I have the B1on mostly tamed to my liking now. I expected much less for £20, so it's fine - but I definitely wouldn't be happy if I found the same with amore expensive pedal/headphone unit.

• Thanks 1

I've been using a B1on for years, gigging, and had no issues with durability and noise, I actually bought a B3 and quickly moved it on, it sounded exactly the same but was a lot bulkier (couldn't get in my hard Bass case) before that I had a 506 MkII which I retired when the input jack became dodgy. So I'll be interested in the thoughts on the B1 Four