Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

The 1176 can actually be used as a preamp itself... Used to engineer in a studio and ever did it myself (we had neve 1073 pres) all I know is that it can be done, but I'm sure a Google search or a search on gearslutz will provide you with more info. Not sure if it would offer much compression. 

I think that you may be better running a preamp Infront of it, it'll probably give you more control and perhaps better gain staging. 

Been a good few years since I got out of the studio thing so my memory is cloudy but hopefully offers you some direction to search the subject further.

• Like 1

Haha fair enough. I can remember overdriving the tubes in a summit audio pultec type EQ on bass. It certainly adds fatness. 

Best signal chain I wish I could recreate  was a 70s ampeg SVT (ex stones) blended with a clean tubeworks DI into a never console and I'm sure there would of been a compressor in there somewhere. Sounded incredible. 

If you're going down that route you might as well add a mic pre like a golden age, warm audio or classic API... Wouldn't add much weight to an already heavy rig or cost. 

I don't know how roadworthy these bits of gear sound be, might need some good shock mount racks 

I've never tried plugging a bass straight into an 1176 but I do know back in the 70's, bass on many classic jazzfunk tracks were recorded DI on a very nice desk channel > eq > compression > tape. I expect you need a pre/DI to gain stage and hit the 1176's with enough dynamic range to make it effective and worthwhile.

If you love the idea of a sexy looking 70's style recording chain to take out for live use I would go to your nearest pro audio dealer and audition some 500 series modules in a lunchbox. This way you could collect and swap out modules to put together a killer portable chain to your taste which you can build over time. A 4 or 6 unit lunchbox could be carried from studio to gig and popped on top of your rig. Yea I've thought about it!

Example chain could be;

A-designs P1 pre/DI (70's Pacifica desk channel clone)

>

A-designs  EM-PEQ (Pultec eq clone)

>

Pete's Place Audio BAC500 (1176 clone)

>

Neve 542 analogue tape saturation emulator circuit. 

There are so many 500 series modules out now from the likes of API (of course), Neve, Chandler, etc etc. Not cheep though! Sorry!

• Like 1

I'd considered this at one stage too - some decent studio kit in a small rack - there's Warm Audio 'Pultec' clone on here -  I'd love to try it into something like the Hellborg power amps going 'cheap' on Thomann. Imagine the big fat sound outta a Pultec hitting some big iron!! Delicious!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

how much tweaking do you need to do.... would an API Tranzformer LX pedal get you near enough? 

Nice! Not seen these pedals before. Do you own one Luke? Impressions? The pedal format and presets for bass specifically make it a very attractive piece. I'd like to try one. 

This might be going OT though as the OP wants an 1176 clone but anyway. The API Piece does seem good value for money for what you get. Price up an api channel strip and you'll know what i mean. Also if you did buy a channel strip or multiple pieces of outboard then you also got to learn how to use it well! Which settings work best for the application? Probably numerous applications without a quick recall. This presents quite a learning curve if you are not well versed in using lots of bits of kit and the nuances between all the different types of analogue circuit architectures, eq curves, all the different compression and limiting effects. There is a lot to get wrong in the wrong hands (not doubting anyones abilities here).

You are probably not going to get great value for money on pricey outboard gear unless you are getting paid very well for your music or use it daily to track multiple instruments and vocals in a studio with punters paying a good wedge for the privelige of getting recorded on said gear. In which case have at! 

In a live situation, unless the live venue is absolutely amazing and acoustically designed to hear a pin drop I'm not sure dragging an 1176 on stage is going to gain much if anything in the mix. Really its getting to the relms of how good front of house is. Are they using a huge vintage Neve or API desk to mix the band? Neumann mics everywhere? Performance monitored through a huge TAD horn sound system. Hey wait...that's a high end studio. 

13 hours ago, Denzel said:

Do you own one Luke?

Unfortunately not! I think it’s a cheaper alternative to a lunchbox type set up with different modules and probably more live use friendly. 

That said for live use doesn’t someone on here use a kemper with a neve desk profile or something? Live, how close could you get with software emulation? 

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

Well how did the rabbit hole work out?

@Jus Lukin is now owned and maintained by BAE Sound Ltd and is a prototype half man half walking studio compressor unit with two line inputs (one at each end). He is available for live work and can be booked to come to you so you can record the perfect bass sound from the comfort of your own home, all for the price of a Basschat Approved English Bassist Breakfast  

• Haha 2

Word of warning an extremely good friend of mine went down the 500 route for his drum inputs in his studio; amazing sounding system, cost him 22k in the end. Not going to lie he bought best of the best throughout but it still made me think it's so easy to just keep going when you get into top end studio kit....

All the best with the will though, that's really tough.

14 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

Word of warning an extremely good friend of mine went down the 500 route for his drum inputs in his studio; amazing sounding system, cost him 22k in the end. Not going to lie he bought best of the best throughout but it still made me think it's so easy to just keep going when you get into top end studio kit....

All the best with the will though, that's really tough.

And I dare say you will only see any difference in one piece of studio quality kit if the rest of the path is as good quality - so it’s all or nothing!

43 minutes ago, ped said:

And I dare say you will only see any difference in one piece of studio quality kit if the rest of the path is as good quality - so it’s all or nothing!

It's certainly incremental. And the worst piece of kit in the chain will hold you back to a degree.