Why become a member? ×

Ampeg or another Ashdown?

RnRDave

So my ABM300 head crapped out on me at rehearsal last night (the power just went mid song so I suspect the power section has just blown, checked kettle lead fuses etc)

Is it worth trying to get it fixed or shop around for something else? I've only ever had 2 amps (a Hartke HA3500 and the ABM300) in 10 years so don't mind trying something new but the ashdown did everything I needed it to.

I like the look of the Ampeg PF 500 due to size and cost but been warmed there's some reliability issues with those? Anyone any experience?

Alternatively does anyone know anyone who fixes amps around Lancashire? 

12 minutes ago, RnRDave said:

So my ABM300 head crapped out on me at rehearsal last night (the power just went mid song so I suspect the power section has just blown, checked kettle lead fuses etc)

Is it worth trying to get it fixed or shop around for something else? I've only ever had 2 amps (a Hartke HA3500 and the ABM300) in 10 years so don't mind trying something new but the ashdown did everything I needed it to.

I like the look of the Ampeg PF 500 due to size and cost but been warmed there's some reliability issues with those? Anyone any experience?

Alternatively does anyone know anyone who fixes amps around Lancashire? 

Get in touch with @Ashdown Engineering, they should be able to fix the amp for you, their customer service is fantastic!

If you do buy a new amp, I expect you'll find the Ampeg PF 500 lacking in real world volume (dare I say heft) compared to your proper old school Ashdown, if the Ashdown does everything you need, it'll be significantly cheaper to repair it than replace it.

Eude

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the ABM works for you don't waste hundreds of pounds cycling through other people's personal favourites. Ashdown will almost certainly be able to fix yours. You will find anything other than an ABM very very different and most likely lacking if the ABM is "your thing". As Lozz says based on your stated preference the only head I know you would like as much, probably more, is the ABM600 EVO IV.

• Thanks 1

It might be worth a few simple checks before you pack off the Ashdown?

Are you sure it’s not as simple a fix as the HT fuse? ..that blowing would instantly cut the power, whereas a semiconductor would more likely give a gradual or intermittent issue and a transformer would just be spectacular (smoke, burning etc)

The fuse could get taken out by a power valve going bad, so maybe replace any blown fuse and if it goes immediately again, then start a process of elimination on the valves 

Best I let Ashdown guide you through it - they are the experts on their amp after all, but worth doing some simple checks first 

PS - Martin Garton in Bury is great, but not sure if PCBs are his thing?

Edited by Sir Spence
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave

I’ve got an Ashdown ABM 500 Evo ii and an Ampeg PF500. The Ashdown is way superior in terms of tone, heft and it has a tube preamp to give a little grit.

The Ampeg like many class d amps is ok but a bit tonally bland and lacks the headroom of the Ashdown. My advice - get Ashdown to repair your amp or look for another ABM.

• Thanks 1

Maybe but fuses to go from time-to-time.  Our band now brings a whole bunch of spares.

Replace it and it carry spares.  If it goes again fairly soon, I'd say you have a problem.  If it goes when you're in the same place as before, could be the electrics of the place that's contributing.

Brilliant thanks for all the help on the quest for a working amp! I've put the Viking funeral down the river Calder on hold.

The fuse is  T4AL 250v and I'm trying to get hold of some before Saturday so Amazon prime would have to be an option as I'm unsure if we even have any hardware stores open in Lancashire anymore.

Would these work??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072B82FS1/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_IyOzCbXTQZ65F

2 minutes ago, RnRDave said:

Brilliant thanks for all the help on the quest for a working amp! I've put the Viking funeral down the river Calder on hold.

The fuse is  T4AL 250v and I'm trying to get hold of some before Saturday so Amazon prime would have to be an option as I'm unsure if we even have any hardware stores open in Lancashire anymore.

Would these work??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072B82FS1/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_IyOzCbXTQZ65F

I'd get in touch with Ashdown to be sure you're popping the right fuse in, they're really helpful. If you need it, I can give you the direct email of the guy that does the repairs, let me know...

4 hours ago, RnRDave said:

I'm hoping so!! But why did it blow?! Could condensation get in the amp?

In my experience rehearsals can be much louder than we'd get away with at a gig. Depending on which fuse has blown it might have been protecting your speakers or stopping a mains current surge getting into your amp. If the fuse blows again at low/mid volume levels then get it checked out.

@RnRDave - do you have a spare set of power valves? ..one of those puppies going south is a likely cause for that fuse going and if that’s the case, you may blow fuse no 2 when you power it back up

@Ashdown Engineering will be much better places than I to recommend which one and whether you can run the amp without valves (and add them back in until you find the culprit or not?)

I’m collecting my new CTM 100 tomorrow as it goes - better follow my own advice and get some more JJ KT88s in !!

Edited by Sir Spence

5 hours ago, Sir Spence said:

@RnRDave - do you have a spare set of power valves? ..one of those puppies going south is a likely cause for that fuse going and if that’s the case, you may blow fuse no 2 when you power it back up

@Ashdown Engineering will be much better places than I to recommend which one and whether you can run the amp without valves (and add them back in until you find the culprit or not?)

I’m collecting my new CTM 100 tomorrow as it goes - better follow my own advice and get some more JJ KT88s in !!

I think you are confusing this amplifier with another. The ABM only has a  single valve in the pre-amp with a fully solid state power amp. No power valves.