Why become a member? ×

Peavey TNT 130 vs Ashdown electric Blue 180

skidder652003

Oh dear, I have the choice of picking either one of these up for about £60, and I'm so indecisive I can't well..decide.  My heart says the Peavey as I love that old US Iron but my head says the Ashdown as it has more features, is more modern, has a compressor built in etc. 

Its to use for smaller pub gigs where I don't really need the overkill of the Ampeg and 410 I lug around.

Anyone been fortunate enough to had both, and give me some opinion?

Cheers.

Edited by skidder652003

Well, I've owned a Peavey combo - not this one but a similar one - and it sounded immense.  Huge tone, exceedingly loud for the spec, ruggedly built.  I played through both of these that you are asking about in rehearsal studios where they certainly get put through their paces.  The Peavey was everything mine was but more.  By contrast the Ashdown Electric Blue sounded lifeless, dead and woolly, the knobs were loose, the buttons weren't engaging properly.  Now I realise that is only a sample of one of each but it was enough to convince me.   

• Thanks 1

Peavey here too.

I had one of those Ashdown Electric Blue things for a bit when I was between amps. Was very muffled sounding and none of the extra features/knobs helped. Before I could flog it it decided to set fire to itself in some sort of protest.

Peavey TNT's have provided the house amps for a few venues I've played for a reason.

Edited by Low End Bee
spelling

I misread the title and was wondering why so many people were going for the Peavey. Re-read it and realised it was the Ashdown Electric Blue; horrible, shitey wee amps. Any Peavey would easily be better, but out of interest, which TNT combo is it? Peavey produced TNTs for over 20 years, going through several design changes. If it's one of the older ones with silver stripes, definitely get it. Whichever it is though, it'll weigh an absolute ton.

Edited by Jono Bolton

Peavey any day, looks like the OP has got the version with the Black Widow speaker looking at the cast frame. Nice sounding amps particularly on a table or stand (good luck lifting it onto said table or stand) they have great presence in a band mix, can out perform many a high end amp in some rooms. If you can play half decent and your bass is OK this amp won't let the side down.

Enjoy it, I'd use M6 T-nuts to fit the side handles!

....I've owned a couple of TNTs and Combo 300 Peaveys and there's a quirk they suffered from that isn't that big a deal once you are aware of it! It's partly caused I think by them being such a struggle to lift and plonk down.

A few times I had a mains light on, fuse OK but no sound issue. On the PCB there is a plug in connector that connects the internal speaker to the amp (called a Molex I think) that can get dislodged if the amp is put down clumsily, it's easy to plug the connector back in once you know. Obviously if you wouldn't normally root around in an amp, and if it isn't broke, then nothing to worry about but if you are remotely handy it's one to be aware of that could save faffing around with amp techs. If you do look inside the amp you'll see how well made it is and over engineered.

But yeah, try not to drop it down too roughly and it will be fine. They really are built to last and are easy to fix and keep going.

• Thanks 1