Why become a member? ×

Mavis

cheb

Hi to you all .

I'm a Brit living in Vietnam ..few years ago I bought my first bass... New Ibanez Sr 500 . I'm now on the look out for a seconhand Bass recently came across a Fernandes 4 String P £70.. and Mavis 4 string P Both made in Japan they look identical apart from the obvious logo..   Anyone no anything about these basses cheers.

• Like 1

I have a vague recollection of a Fernandes guitar a bandmate once had. Not high quality.

But, if you can inspect them, check the neck isn't warped, if it feels good in your hands and the truss rod works then that is the main thing I look for. All else can be replaced/upgraded, like the tuners, bridge, pickups and pots.

If the neck is good  that is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

Never heard of this and sorry  to hi jack your thread but that reminded me of a Hondo bass that I had when I first started. Anyone else have experience of the mighty Hondo II P bass?

I borrowed one for a while - was 30+ years ago, but to my recall it was a very good bass.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I borrowed one for a while - was 30+ years ago, but to my recall it was a very good bass.

Yeah, I remember it being ok. Certainly to my 15 year old mind it was amazing. Unfortunately , I never had a case for mine and it suffered terribly. It actually gigged quite a lot when we first started 

Never played a Hondo bass, but I did play a Hondo Les Paul for a few years in the early 80's. I decided I didn't get in with Les Pauls so chopped it in for a 1988 G&L SC-3 strat (which I still have!). I know it is a 88 SC-3 because they only had the steel roller nut and Sperzel tuners on the 3 series in 1988. It is a transitional model and therefore, my mercenary nature hopes, rare.

Sorry to continue the thread hijack.

I remember noodling (badly) on  a Frenandes Strat back in the 80s and it was a wonderful guitar and probably the nicest guitar I have ever played (AFAIR). There is a sunburst Fernandes bass on sale here that looks to be a brilliant instrument. I have to actively remind myself I mustn't buy it every time I see it.

Luckily, for me, it's just the other side of being an impulse buy!!