Why become a member? ×

Quilter bass block great eq design

la bam

On 05/03/2019 at 13:22, lou24d53 said:

So, next step, I've still need to make a decision on which cab to get to run with it...front runners being the BF Super Twin versus the Vanderkley 210LNT...or 212LNT if my budget can stretch just a tad further...!

I can strongly recommend checking out the Laney N410.

I've just bought one.

They're the same weight as a barefaced 410 at 23kg, but much more solid and sturdy feeling. Switchable on/half/off horn. Brilliant sound to boot. Same sensitivity as the barefaced at 101db.

And less than half price.

I'm gonna gig mine this weekend.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just bought the Bassliner 2x10w (450w) on impulse...lots of reviews saying what I fine piece of kit but I've yet to try it in anger.

Having second thoughts about it TBH - thinking i should have gone down the VDK route again - regretted selling the MNT as it was leaving my flat ....

On 07/03/2019 at 13:33, la bam said:

I can strongly recommend checking out the Laney N410.

I've just bought one.

They're the same weight as a barefaced 410 at 23kg, but much more solid and sturdy feeling. Switchable on/half/off horn. Brilliant sound to boot. Same sensitivity as the barefaced at 101db.

And less than half price.

I'm gonna gig mine this weekend.

Just been searching the net for the Laney N410, and reckon you must have got yours on a deal for £399? They seem to be only available now around the £700 mark, a lot nearer the Barefaced 410 at £959.

Anyway, how are you getting on with it, and what amp are you using?

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Just been searching the net for the Laney N410, and reckon you must have got yours on a deal for £399? They seem to be only available now around the £700 mark, a lot nearer the Barefaced 410 at £959.

Anyway, how are you getting on with it, and what amp are you using?

I love it. I think its a great cab.

Very lightweight - 22kg and compact for a 4x10.

Very nice sound, and very adaptable with the horn being ON/HALF/OFF switchable.

I use it with the Quilter and Helix and its literally EVERYTHING i need in a very small package that can fit in the boot of a small car. It can go very loud if needed, but i dont think ive ever had the Quilter over 5 on the gain and 12 oclock on the volume dial - which is about 160w !

Theres a photo below of the Quilter and N410 on stage - and it didnt even come close to not being loud enough. The cab really doesnt get enough credit. Its as light as a Barefaced and IMO much more sturdy.

20190308_182806.thumb.jpg.272b39939ca7192a5b0f4a599197885a.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 3

Ive been doing a bit more experimenting and reading with this great little amp.

What is really interesting is how the GAIN and MASTER work in conjunction with each other.

They are not just a GAIN for input level, and a MASTER for overall volume. The GAIN works like a dual control. Keep it under 5 and its nice and melodic and clean, use the MASTER to boost the volume of that sound.

As you increase the gain, the limiters start to kick in and you get some real nice tube compression/slight grit that sits wonderfully in the mix, bringing a nice bit of sparkle to the band mix. Its a subtle change in tone as you do it gradually, but very noticeable if you contrast the two direct. Having done some reading, this isnt pushing the GAIN too much, its designed to work that way, giving you a wide range of tonal shaping capabilities.

It seems to kick in around 6, but if you get up to 8 it really takes a lovely tone onboard.

• Like 1

I've yet to really "hear" my new rig since I got it other than home use...but even then its already sounding majestic...

My first gig with it next Saturday at the Kelso Scooter Rally and I can't wait to give some real welly...!!

20190505_113029.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

I've yet to really "hear" my new rig since I got it other than home use...but even then its already sounding majestic...

My first gig with it next Saturday at the Kelso Scooter Rally and I can't wait to give some real welly...!!

20190505_113029.jpg

That's all the rig a man could ever need.  Enjoy it.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

20190505_113029.jpg

Very nice  👍

• Thanks 1

Just back from practice, where I had my first real chance to test the quilter on it's own, and tinker with the sound. All other times have been straight into a gig and away, so I used helix presets.

Tonight I used just the quilter units own and wow. Amazing clarity. And I mean amazing. You know how you can normally hear your open e string with authority, and other strings and notes are less noticeable? Well, it's like an open e on every string. I'd been playing with the gain and master to get a rich, slightly compressing sound, and boy, did it work.

I seem to suck the mids out of whatever bass or amp I play, so tonight genuinely was the first time in 25 years I've had a great sound that also sat great in the mix. Lovely and even and crystal clear without being harsh.

I've been having gas for a full on svt, and svtii for the last 3 weeks. Nearly bit the bullet a few times. But after tonight? No. Not interested one bit. I've found the tone I'm after. Love it.

Any who, for those interested here are 2 sounds I had. The first was at very low levels in the house, playing just the bass. The other is at practice in the band setting. Playing through a g&l lb100 and laney 4x10 n cab.

Interesting how live in the band setting the bass is rolled back, and mid/high lowered.

20190513_002558.jpg

20190520_220857.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2019 at 12:19, lou24d53 said:

I already have both a Tech 21 "Leeds" and "VT Bass" pedals and tend to switch between these settings depending on what set we're doing, i.e., Live at Leeds / Quadrophenia etc.

This where I have got to combined with a QSC GX7 power amp and Barefaced Dubster.  I keep thinking about the BB800 for a small portable setup when the full monty is not needed.

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Are there any BB800 users out there running them at 2.67ohms?

If there are they must be deaf!

I've only used it with at 8ohm with a laney 4x10 and even outside, I dont get it past around 200w.

Although I'm sure theres some people on the forums who have said they have run x2 4ohm cabs without issue.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1