Why become a member? ×

Top players and learning insight

KingPrawn

I've learnt "Every time you go away" by Paul Young for an upcoming gig. Its given me a real insight into the great Pino Palladino as a player. He has such a relaxed approach to playing and his execution is impeccable. I was just wondering if you guys have ever learned a particular bass line and in doing so, discovered how another player approaches constructing a bass line? 

• Like 1

Maybe we should develop a list of must listen to bass lines, for the approach, structure and transferring theory to practice. Rather than just popularity and tone? often just learning scale etc can feel dry until you apply them in context. 

Edited by KingPrawn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

. Nothing particularly difficult about any of them if you want to wing it, but getting close to some of the versions we work from was interesting.

Isn’t that the real challenge. Producing a kind off version against learning to absorb the way the player approached the line. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

Simon and Garfunkel's The Only Living Boy in New York is a great bassline to try to learn. Joe Osborne I believe

I did a transcription of this a few months ago and was blown away by how easy he makes it sound; the line moves all over the neck but he makes it sound totally seamless.

Anthony Jackson's contribution to Chaka Khan's 'Move Me No Mountain' had a huge effect on me, as did Jamerson's line on 'What's Going On'.

• Like 1

I had to learn these two to a gig in December: Madonna's Like a prayer, that has quite quick keyboard bass. It took some time to get the feel and rhythm. Another was Wham's Wake me up. Thank you to @TKenrick , who had put that to notes. Was somewhat harder than I thought but the notes gave me a good head start. (After some discussion, that was not related to my playing, the band did not want those, so they were "just" good exercises.)

I do have to say that there are players that can play all notes very fast, but I adore those who only play the right notes and can use rests musically. Larry Klein is one. And AC/DC's bass&drums combo is The Boogie Machine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, spencer.b said:

A lot of my rythmic approach has come from these

Tommy Cogbill on Elvis in Memphis album ( especially Gentle on my mind, you gotta check this out)

Jameson on Bernadette

Rainey on Peg Steely Dan

Willie Weeks solo on Donny Hathaway live

Each one of those are killer bass lines. amazing players. That's a solid education, my friend.

Edited by KingPrawn

8 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

Jameson on Bernadette

JJ was my first inspiration, but I want to offer up the late Alan Spenner, starting with Delta Lady (Joe Cocker). These guys are exactly why I went Precision and stayed there.
Please let me just slip the 'r' back in: Jamerson.

On 12/02/2019 at 18:55, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Nothing particularly difficult about any of them

That's it for me, prob took me years to get it. What you give to the track is THE point - the great bass players are generous to their fellow musicians - use of space, the value of silence (rests), subtle trading... I like some of the Nashville session guys for that too.

• Like 1