Why become a member? ×

New Yamaha Nathan East signature

Dazed

2 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

You certainly know a Yamaha player when you hear them talk about models going back to 1984 and refusing space age models 😂

Give me all of their 80s catalogues with modern pickups and hardware, I'd probably buy all of them... 😂

• Haha 1

On 11/02/2019 at 18:42, Dazed said:

I’m amazed if I’m the first to post anything about this but.....

I love this new signature model. The looks, sound, style. What are the chances it will go into production?

This has definitely thrown a spanner into the workings of my future purchase plans!

Why is he dressed as a nun?

• 2 weeks later...

Liking the looks, and saw him play it live today.

Definition & clarity is fantastic - didn't hear of the very low end of the range often enough to comment on it. Most of the night James East was playing the lower register (and sounded absolutely colossal on his InnerWood 5-string :) ). Given how the bass sits, it looks like the access for upper-register playing is very comfortable. 

Would very much welcome it if Yamaha made this into a production model - though a lighter weight would be welcome.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
37 minutes ago, Nuf said:

Hi guys,

Do you know if they intend to do a production model? I’m really a huge fan of the bass itself and I love the sounds Nathan gets from it. :)

Looks like it never made it to production. I know, right? I was interested in it too.

1 minute ago, bigsmokebass said:

My bad, my mind went to John Myung.... 😂 I'll get my goat on the way out the door 🙈

That thinline is F'n beautiful 😍 not a fan of the hollowbody

They’re a bit bling for me...but the jazz box looking doofer was to try and replicate the Wes Montgomery and Charlie Christian type Jazz guitar sounds.

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

But the east Jaffa, looks like a pelican trying to swallow a wire coat hanger. So, sorry, I’m out.

Haha love it. It was more the lightweight, shirt length (not scale) that appealed.

The JP model I also love - but I’ve been wanting, ideally, a 5er hollow body that hasn’t got Ibanez or Warwick on the headstock.

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Haha love it. It was more the lightweight, shirt length (not scale) that appealed.

The JP model I also love - but I’ve been wanting, ideally, a 5er hollow body that hasn’t got Ibanez or Warwick on the headstock.

I don’t mind the star bass. Would love to see a Casady 5 but done properly. I’d have a C on mine rather than a low B.

I’m sure a decent luthier could do one.

Mesinger/Marcuzyck do the Joker -  looks similar to the smaller Yammy.

34 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Laminate body to give it the strength that it would have had if we hadn’t made that yawning chasm in it in the first place.

Right.....

Yammy have been using laminate body design for a while. And same for their necks. Nothing new in that for them and partly why you will find precious little complaint about construction quality from their army of happy fans! 

According to his recent bass tales video with Scott Devine the design is based on the silent guitars. They went for headless and the bracing was originally detatchable so he could pack it down as small as possible for use on a plane to practice for a Pattitucci gig he was covering. It was only after the initial designs that they decided to permanently fix the brace to the body. 

(Also why it's a six string and not 5)

• Thanks 1