Why become a member? ×

New Yamaha Nathan East signature

Dazed

8 hours ago, MDWagstaff said:

I think it's kind of cool looking. Would I ever own one even if they did a budget version? Probably not, but I've seen far worse looking basses that usually fall under the 'boutique' bracket 

If they made a budget one, I'd be tempted depending on how much and what features. 

5 minutes ago, ped said:

Always confuses me when people say 'too many knobs' - is it just aesthetics, because if you can't remember what 6 knobs do, how do you cope with driving a car, using a computer, or even an amplifier?!

It's not remembering what they do, it's 'option anxiety', the nagging self-doubt that says I might need +3dB at 1.2kHz... or should it be 1.5kHz? That and an aversion to running critical stuff off batteries. Each to their own though, and whatever everyone else for you is fine for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

It's not remembering what they do, it's 'option anxiety', the nagging self-doubt that says I might need +3dB at 1.2kHz... or should it be 1.5kHz? That and an aversion to running critical stuff off batteries. Each to their own though, and whatever everyone else for you is fine for them.

As long as the bass sounds great flat with it bypassed, I'd much rather have the options there to play with. I know what you mean, though. A bit like an electric car seat with 10 adjustments and lumbar support and thigh rest extension.. three years and I still adjust it ;)

1 minute ago, bigsmokebass said:

If it sounds great flat, then let the amp do the talking? 🤔

Indeed - but then the pre on the bass will do things the amp can't do (like specific pickup EQ or coil taps) - and I guess he probably goes direct to desk a lot anyway

• Like 1

That is appreciated although back to the 70's and 80's when that was largely a thing to plug straight into desks (no doubt what NE did a lot of) but today there's so much out there to use, from hardware like DI pedals with all the bells and whistles, to amps with different functions or software these days that can almost make your instrument sound like anything you'd like it to. 

Is too much eq on a bass needed? As a passive player, I'd personally say no, strip it out but the next person may say "keep it and add more" 😁

20 minutes ago, ped said:

Indeed - but then the pre on the bass will do things the amp can't do (like specific pickup EQ or coil taps) - and I guess he probably goes direct to desk a lot anyway

+1^^

For playing live, there's definitely the convenience of having everything to hand (or foot) and not needing to traipse back and forth to the amp.

Doubly so when you have FOH effectively limiting the use of your amp to being a stage monitor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TJ Spicer said:

Good news for everyone (be it monetarily or hating the aesthetic) is it probably won’t ever be produced... It can be added to my long list of basses from the Yamaha LA custom shop I wish I could own, along with Pattituci’s 2 semi-hollow basses... 😩😢

They need to stop fann*y-ing around with esoteric £4k designs and make stuff that we would all buy e.g. how about offering their BB735A:

- in white and / or 

- as a neck through?

That would sell, believe me! 

Yamaha are you listening?! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
Not gonna be prevented by some software programme from saying my piece! - lol! :)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

They need to stop fann*y-ing around with esoteric £4k designs and make stuff that we would all buy e.g. how about offering their BB735A:

- in white and / or 

- as a neck through?

That would sell, believe me! 

Yamaha are you listening?! :) 

Those BBs in white would being gigged with me in an instant....