Why become a member? ×

Deluxe Active Precision

XoSo

I have an FSR Seafoam green MiM Deluxe, great bass with a well selected range on the mid control. So easy to change the character of the sound on the fly mid song. Mine has a bound neck and block inlay markers on a maple neck ( see avatar). There's a really good balance between the pickups. Many PJs suffer with a huge gain variation between the Pups but the Deluxe preamp balances the Pups really well, I am a fan of blend controls. Great build quality.

I've got the passive version MIM FSR Special Deluxe. Agree it's a great bass with an exceptional neck.

Yes, the pickups have hugely different volumes - because of this I swapped the stock noiseless J Pup for a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and they now produce similar volumes.

I actually prefer it to my MIA US Standard Precision - it's more lively and responsive.  

Nobody should be put off by the Made in Mexico label these days.

I've got the Deluxe Special bass and 2 MIM Telecasters that are all, as far as I'm concerned, faultless.

There' no real build quality difference between US and Mexican Fenders as far as I can tell.

The US Fenders tend to use more expensive electronics and hardware and may feature prettier pieces of wood on natural/sunburst finishes or on necks and fretboards but other than that I reckon in terms of how well the instruments are put together most people would struggle to point out any way in which the US Fender is 'better' built than the Mexican.

Edited by Cato

Absolutely right Cato and I think my reference to 'made in Mexico' was probably misleading. I think what I meant to say (badly) was even for a MIM guitar it seemed cheap.  I've got a 50s player strat, and a 60s player strat and they are both as good (IMHO) as any MIA Custom Shop. I've also got a MIJ tele and my go-too bass which I will go to my grave with is a 1995 '62 reissue MIJ Jazz bass. For my money Japanese Fenders are the best bang for buck you can buy, closely followed by Mexican.  I think I currently have something like 25 guitars and basses and out of all the Fenders none are American. I  always laugh quietly to myself when our 'murican cousins claim the only real Fenders are made in California (usually by Mexicans).

• Like 1