Why become a member? ×

Fretless: Warwick, Spector, Mayones... ??

Soledad

Hi all - got into a chat recently with TheGreek and I mentioned I was looking for a fretless, probably a 5 but maybe a 4 - not sure and I do think how the B sounds is critical (some lack pitch definition low down I think).

So I had a Warwick Thumb NT years ago, and it was definitely good. I've seen a couple of Mayones on here and wonder if the body wood (normally ovankol?) helps mid-range or warmth a little - a good thing on fretless I suspect).

TheGreek mentioned Spector - which I had not considered.

One important thing - I reckon that good fretted basses don't always make good fretless, I mean just deleting frets. I think the natural acoustic tone matters a bit. I tend to find fretted Warwicks a bit hard - that's their trademark isn't it, the growl? But my Thumb fretless was pretty good.

Any hand-on input please - and if anyone has what I'm looking for going spare (someone here has a Moyenes NT BE4 I think), I'm shopping.

I know I'm probably derailing your line of thought (and definitely not answering any  of your questions), but probably still relevant... If I could afford the kind of money you're about to invest in a fretless bass I'd seriously consider adding 20-30% more budget and go the used Pedulla Buzz route. Best fretless thing I've ever been around. I've extensively played both 4 and 5 strings (Pentabuzz, even had some lessons using one -an instructor's-), they're so above any other fretless bass I've played or owned (only modest Jazzes), and that defintely includes Warwicks and Spectors (never played fretless Mayoneses). The playability (that neck, oh my!), the right mwah, the responsiveness, that allmighty burpy attack, can get as delicate or as ballsy as you need (way more tones than just the trumpet like thing most play for reviews) to accomodate many moods & styles. Overall some of the most inviting basses I've played in my life.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1

Spector make the very good Spectorcore fretless 5 string which is comparatively reasonably priced, had an ebony fingerboard and 35ins scale. The bonus is the Fishman piezo bridge offering alternative tones to magnetic pickups. Shop around as there are some priced well below list, I paid less than £500 for mine new buying it from Italy. The semi hollow body also makes it quite light. Personally I prefer flats on a fretless but I acknowledge you get less “mwah” if that’s your thing, but you don’t tear up the fingerboard either.

8761D8CA-7E6A-4FFB-A1AD-28AC0C9E99D1.jpeg

Liking that Spectorcore - watched the vid. 2 things for sound: semi-hollow body and piezo plus the EMG - both good / interesting. Try and get a play on one then.
About the Pedulla (Andruca) - beyond what I'd want to spend really. When I said Warwick I'm thinking a Pro or there are German ones around well under the grand. 2K is a bit over for me.

Edited by Soledad

Being mainly a (6 strings) fretless player for 3 decades, the idea of lack of defintion on the low B is quite strange... Why would it lack definition if the instrument is well made by a master luthier knowing how to craft an instrument to hear the fundamental of the note ?

To me the best fretless basses are the ones made by Leduc. Try one Masterpiece (avoid the U-Bass as it's too demanding) and you'll understand.

They don't come accross that often, but who knows.

A friend of mine has a terrific Carvin LB70F neck through 4 strings, lined ebony fingerboard, with a D-tuner, a very rare 2Tek bridge and 3 bands EQ. All original and translucent blue. He'll come to say hello tomorrow. I can ask him if he wants to sell it...

10 hours ago, Hellzero said:

And these (now very rare) Czech MTD's

Big thanks Helzero - would never have knoiwn how to access these. I need to admit I go for extremely understated, you know: stand at the back, head down, try not to get noticed. So I do prefer subtle quiet finishes etc, and quite minimal designs. So the translucent blue might be a bit much for me, fine bass no doubt.THe MTD is probably my favourite.
I plan to actually get my hands on a few: Spectorcore (hopefully), Warwick I kind of know and I'm drifting away from Warwick fretless as it is a bit hard (we all know the sound); MTD should be on the list. I was interested in a Mayones BE4 but have no idea of sound, what to expect .
I think I'm heading towards 5 string also.

I appreciate all help and experienced input. I'm going to try not to be impulsive - did you spot that TheGreek... :)

Fretless, my favourite type of bass. If you’re wanting the most upright tone possible look no further than a Rob Allen. Outside of that, a fretless Stingray mustn’t be overlooked IMO.

Edited by ezbass

Morning,

some thoughts and experiences with the fretless ladies  I played during the last ten years:

- Maruszczyk Elwood L5 24: kinda J clone but then different, a humbucker on the bridge PU position and the neck is thicker than you would expect. Nevertheless a fairly low action makes you forget this. A well built no-frills instrument, passive, classic tonewoods, ebony fingerboard, very light. A full blown 5er at 3.7 kg. Soundwise Jacoesque when played close to the bridge, warmer and more growly when moving towards the neck, nice slap-tone. Always present in the mix. Payed 1 kEuro which I found very fairly priced. Here`s a review I wrote on a German forum:

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/bass-maruszczyk-elwood-l5-24-fretless.468658/

- Musicman Stingray 5: bought as replacement for the Elwood because I wanted to have a graphite neck and fingerboard to prevent the roundwound wear. So, she has a Status replacement neck which makes her less Pino-sounding but still in that direction. There is a bit more clarity in tone but in the end it's a stingray sound. Also very present in the band, more low-mid sounding than a J-bass, not so upfront more serving the context. My main instrument at the moment. But she's heavy, beyond 5 kg.

- Spectorcore 5: Nice one. She's the perfect match for my unplugged band. The video above describes it perfectly, it was the trigger for me. My favourite setting is piezo full, treble almost completely dimmed, magnetic halfway, treble full on. This makes her stay growly and fundamentally below the guitars without getting lost. Soundwise in an upright direction but different, there is always this piano-like sound present that is mentioned in the video. Not built for high-speed soloing, more serving the fundamentals. Due to your Brexit experiment and the low exchangerate I could import her at an appealling price of 599 Pounds - and she's worth every penny of it.

- Mayones Patriot MR 5: wowsa! Just played it in a music-store but WOW! By far the most resonant, sensitive, growly, singing fretless I ever played. Very beautiful and extremely light. But at a pricetag well beyond 3kEuro I left her at shop, too much money to be spontaneous.

https://mayones.com/page/patriot-mr-fretless-5-antique-black/

So, I hope this feeds some valuable info into your decision process. I really like playing pretless, the sound, the freedom to articulate 🙂

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by tom5string

Guest subaudio
On 11/02/2019 at 07:13, Soledad said:

Hi all - got into a chat recently with TheGreek and I mentioned I was looking for a fretless, probably a 5 but maybe a 4 - not sure and I do think how the B sounds is critical (some lack pitch definition low down I think).

So I had a Warwick Thumb NT years ago, and it was definitely good. I've seen a couple of Mayones on here and wonder if the body wood (normally ovankol?) helps mid-range or warmth a little - a good thing on fretless I suspect).

TheGreek mentioned Spector - which I had not considered.

One important thing - I reckon that good fretted basses don't always make good fretless, I mean just deleting frets. I think the natural acoustic tone matters a bit. I tend to find fretted Warwicks a bit hard - that's their trademark isn't it, the growl? But my Thumb fretless was pretty good.

Any hand-on input please - and if anyone has what I'm looking for going spare (someone here has a Moyenes NT BE4 I think), I'm shopping.

I had a fretless Thumb B.O. 5 and still have a fretless Thumb 6 B.O. the low B is huge and yet precise and focused,  both of them really sing.

Thumb's do have a specific sound as you'll know.

I had a Godin fretless 5 too which was very good, very different as it was semi acoustic, but very good, especially liked what the cello bracing did.

Haven't tried others, I did have a 70's maple fretless P bass for a short time, sounded awesome but I thought I couldn't afford the payments so took it back. Stupidest thing I ever did as it was used and stupidly cheap in the early 80's.

My next fretless will be a Fender Tony Franklin.

In short, if you can, just try as many as possible.

5 hours ago, subaudio said:

the low B is huge and yet precise and focused

mine was a 4 NT - good to know the B is that good, I think the low B is a real test. I'm definitely keeping Warwick on the list.

Hard though, trying as many as possible when I need one NOW... ;)

Guest subaudio
21 hours ago, Soledad said:

mine was a 4 NT - good to know the B is that good, I think the low B is a real test. I'm definitely keeping Warwick on the list.

Hard though, trying as many as possible when I need one NOW... ;)

Warwicks are really, really great basses but I want something less scary looking to small minded guitarists than a Thumb 6 and passive, traditional sounding as well, to add to my bag of sounds.

Thumbs are basically super-jazz basses with a darker more focused punch that can cut through anything.

I've had a lot of fretted 5's over the years and nothing comes close by Fender, Tobias, Lakland, G&L or Yamaha to the low B of a Warwick, particularly the Thumb bo fretless's I've owned/own.

All fantastic basses but there's something about the Thumb B. Of course it's personal preference as to what you want in a B.

I've never had the pleasure of playing a through neck Thumb but it's on my want list :)

I know the I need it now feeling very well :) It's a long term saving up job to get the Franklin and its taking seemingly forever.

Still worth your trying others if at all possible.

Good luck and enjoy :)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:48, Paulhauser said:

+1 for the Spectorcore

The Spectorcore is one of the best value for money fretless out there and it was designed to be a fretless, not just a "defretted bass" 

@Dood did a great review about this bass, it's really worth your while. 

Need to say a big thankyou to @Dood for this video - it had a big influence on my decision to seek out and eventually to buy one of these basses.

6 hours ago, mangotango said:

Need to say a big thankyou to @Dood for this video - it had a big influence on my decision to seek out and eventually to buy one of these basses.

Genuinely, genuinely pleased to read this. Thank you so much :) Yeah, that's a nice bass!

An update on where I got to. Watched the Spectorcore vid - sounds great and is well respected around here. Then got involved in a Warwick 5 pro  ash and would have bought that but someone beat me to it - on FB and went very quick. Then a Fame (Mayones) came up here and I went for that. I'd seen a Mayones up in Derbyshire on eBay (still there I think at £625) but the Fame at around 350 seemed a good option for me. Bearing in mind I'd had an NT Thumb some years ago so it's a familiar package with its MECs etc.

I'll try and do an overview of the Mayo - the woods, workmanship, detailing are really outstanding. Put half-rounds on and I'm settling in with it. Some of the things that decided me are maybe not rational - I dislike lines on the fingerboard. I aim to do most fretless practice in the dark anyway (muscle memory) but the Mayo is so very minimal and tactile - so it suits me I think. ON a Q/C front the one thing I notice is the Fame logo is slightly peeling off - it's just a foil sticker and quite an afterthought. I think it needs to drop off :)

• Like 1