Why become a member? Read more... ×
Jimothey

New Fenderbird Project Planned

After following @Christine's Thunderbird build it has swayed me (as I was never really a fan of them) to make my own......

It's going to be a Fenderbird but I haven't decided whether it's going to be 4 or 5 string as yet??

As I've been told they suffer from neck dive would a 4 string would be better to keep the weight of the headstock down or would the difference in weight be negligible??......... If I decide to go down the 4 string route I would string it BEAD anyway

I know this isn't going to be a popular choice but I'm going to make the body out of chambered plywood (I tried one of my friends homemade ply bodied bitsa Telecaster and his American deluxe Telecaster and couldn't tell the difference in the sound if anything the ply bodied Tele had better sustain so that got me thinking??) it's going to be painted and I'm leaning towards Yellow with black hardware and pickguard something a bit like this? With a maple/maple block neck........... fenderbird.thumb.png.caf5741a36c651997ab68fec114e032a.png

I don't really like the 3 point bridges tha t are normally on them so I'm thinking about a tun-o-matic bridge instead and I might go active with active/passive push/pull bypass like on my Quincy, 5 string and 6 string build

• Like 2

I've always liked the combination of a strong yellow with black.

• Thanks 1

On 11/02/2019 at 02:14, Jimothey said:

After following @Christine's Thunderbird build it has swayed me (as I was never really a fan of them) to make my own......

It's going to be a Fenderbird but I haven't decided whether it's going to be 4 or 5 string as yet??

As I've been told they suffer from neck dive would a 4 string would be better to keep the weight of the headstock down or would the difference in weight be negligible??......... If I decide to go down the 4 string route I would string it BEAD anyway

I know this isn't going to be a popular choice but I'm going to make the body out of chambered plywood (I tried one of my friends homemade ply bodied bitsa Telecaster and his American deluxe Telecaster and couldn't tell the difference in the sound if anything the ply bodied Tele had better sustain so that got me thinking??) it's going to be painted and I'm leaning towards Yellow with black hardware and pickguard something a bit like this? With a maple/maple block neck........... fenderbird.thumb.png.caf5741a36c651997ab68fec114e032a.png

I don't really like the 3 point bridges tha t are normally on them so I'm thinking about a tun-o-matic bridge instead and I might go active with active/passive push/pull bypass like on my Quincy, 5 string and 6 string build

One of the best sounding guitars I ever owned, an Epiphone Junior LP, turned out to be plywood when I modded it.  Plywood can sometimes be on the heavy side but sonically there is nothing wrong with it at all.

12 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

One of the best sounding guitars I ever owned, an Epiphone Junior LP, turned out to be plywood when I modded it.  Plywood can sometimes be on the heavy side but sonically there is nothing wrong with it at all.

I thought that it might be heavy so it's going to be chambered so hopefully that with keep the weight down a bit 

I'm going to construct the body with a 25mm ply core with 6mm front and back the 25mm core will be chambered like this.............. 

176854633_fenderbirdtemplate.thumb.png.dae066544c03913ede9221560c8253f6.png

• Like 1