Why become a member? ×

New Fenderbird (Exploder Bass) Project

Jimothey

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have followed any of my other builds you expect me to change something mid way through!!

So this build is no different........... I kept on seeing White thunderbirds and I much prefer them in White than Black so I'm changing the color to White! I'm probably keep the mirrored pickguard and the Chrome hardware............ 😀 

• Haha 3

Here's the second coat of Satin White on the body........... 

I'm going to keep the headstock Black but I'm considering paint the neck White a la Thunderbird style??

I can't quite decide?? 🤔 

Edited by Jimothey

23 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

I reckon that already looks better in white.  I presume you had to strip the coat of black totally off first?

As for the neck, what does the back of it look like at the moment?

No I just flattened it and went over the top of it, if this was for anybody else I would have stripped it back re-undercoated etc, but as its just for me I didn't bother

It's just maple normal grained nothing stunning looking........... 😀 

I reckon then there's two ways I would go.  I'd either:

1) Paint the back of it white.

2) Sand the back of the neck to bare wood and stain it with like a grey charcoal sort of colour that would still pick out the grain in the wood.  Then oil it.

Personally I'd go with option 2) as I reckon the neck would be nicer to play oiled.  Or you could go with a white stain if you preferred.

• Thanks 1

I think I'm going to go kind of option 2 but paint the neck Black instead of White so it got a bit of a Duff McKagan signature (if it was a Fenderbird) vibe?

I've got a strat that I painted the neck satin black and it's quite nice to play so I think it will be OK?............. 😀 

Nice.  I've got a Thunderbird self build in mind myself which I hope will be some sort of white stained top wood over a mahogany body, with a through neck of some darker wood or other.  Maybe with a mahogany stripe through it.

Got some skills to work on first though!  Going to do just a body first.  Currently waiting for the neck for it to arrive off eBay but it appears to be stuck in Shenzen and that's holding everything up.  Hurry up, the Chinese postal service you shower of useless gets!*

* a great bunch of lads

• Haha 1

As the thunderbird has a logo on the pickguard I was thinking of doing the same, because this is going to be called the Exploder I was thinking maybe this might work??........... 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, StevieE said:

This is gonna look nice! 

Soz if I missed it earlier in the thread, but have you decided on hardware colour yet? 

Thanks

I'm going with Chrome but it might change to black if it doesn't look right...... 😀 

25 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Cool. 

Have you seen black chrome? I've a set of cloverleaf tuners for a P project that never took off, bit more subtle than black, bit less shiny than chrome 😬

Yeah I've seen it called smoked chrome aswell it does look nice! if I do decide to change it then that would certainly be an option.......... 😀 

• Like 1

Here's a quick mockup

I can't decide if the pickguard looks OK?? With or without opinions please?? 

If I decide to use the pickguard I will have to adjust it a bit so its not too close to the last knob......... 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

If you use the pickguard, which I think is cool, especially if you get the Exploderbird logo lazer etched into it, you'll need IMO a notch around the front pickup so that it fits against the body lump.

Looking good so far, even if you haven't gone with either of my paint schemes. I'll have to build them now 🙄 😂

15 minutes ago, Si600 said:

If you use the pickguard, which I think is cool, especially if you get the Exploderbird logo lazer etched into it, you'll need IMO a notch around the front pickup so that it fits against the body lump.

Looking good so far, even if you haven't gone with either of my paint schemes. I'll have to build them now 🙄 😂

I'm going with the F bomb logo instead so that will either be on the pickguard on on the body depending on what I choose to do? Yeah your right I do need to notch it out round the pickup and shorten it a but so it's not too close to the last knob

Sorry I know I let you down regarding your paint colour ideas and I humbley beg your forgiveness 🙏 😜

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the body needed something so I decided racing stripes are the way forward to tie in the black neck and headstock

I've decided at present not to use the pickguard............... 

Just waiting for the paint to dry then its time to get it all back together....... 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3