Why become a member? ×

New Fenderbird (Exploder Bass) Project

Jimothey

10 hours ago, Christine said:

Sorry, missed this I've been away again.

Did you see my Fenderbird? The bridge is Scott Dasson's badbird bridge (as used by Geddy Lee or someone)

Fenderbird.thumb.jpg.83bb0be952c82d21121c551cd77f5b1e.jpg

Hi @Christine hope you had a lovely time on holiday?

Thats very nice!! I'm going to have a more traditional style pickguard but I haven't decided what colour yet I'm thinking maybe brushed alu might look good?? 🤔 

I'm going to do some updated photos today as I've done the raised centre now but realised I've made not wide enough so most pickups wont fit in it so I just need to sort that out first 🤬

41 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Hi @Christine hope you had a lovely time on holiday?

Thats very nice!! I'm going to have a more traditional style pickguard but I haven't decided what colour yet I'm thinking maybe brushed alu might look good?? 🤔 

I'm going to do some updated photos today as I've done the raised centre now but realised I've made not wide enough so most pickups wont fit in it so I just need to sort that out first 🤬

Don't worry about the pickups, just rout out the holes and if need be epoxy in some little patches to fill in as needed.

Had a great time and we're off again in two weeks for three months, seeking some warmth, I'm fed up of this weather now :laugh1:

22 minutes ago, Christine said:

Don't worry about the pickups, just rout out the holes and if need be epoxy in some little patches to fill in as needed.

Had a great time and we're off again in two weeks for three months, seeking some warmth, I'm fed up of this weather now :laugh1:

All right for some where you going anywhere nice?? 

Yeah I was thinking kinda the same thing re the pickups I'll just rout them and see how it looks?........... 😀 

On 13/03/2019 at 09:40, Andyjr1515 said:

What pickups are you going for?

I'm going to use the hardware, neck and pickups out of this build they are 100mm wide and the raised centre is 95mm wide?? 

I'm going to reshape the headstock then probably sell the body.............. 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

All right for some where you going anywhere nice?? 

Yeah I was thinking kinda the same thing re the pickups I'll just rout them and see how it looks?........... 😀 

Starting off in Spain then off to Italy and back through Switzerland and Germany

I can't believe you're breaking up that lovely bass!

Well here's a kinda mockup of how it might look??.......... 

I'm thinking possibly doing the headstock similar to the Warwick style as I think it's a nice simple shape?? 🤔

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christine said:

I can't believe you're breaking up that lovely bass!

There's just something about it that I just didn't like........... Everytime I looked at it I just thought, Meh!!

So I thought I would probably get roughly the same amount for the body as I would for the whole bass so I might as well use the hardware etc on another project 

If your interested in the body you could always make me an offer?? 😜

Not much more to report except I've routed out the neck pocket and pickup cavities and just done a second coat of primer........... 

Will be ready to sand down tomorrow and get the first top coat on it........... 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

I decided last nite that I'm going to do a more traditional fender style headstock shape and I'm going to swap the chrome hardware off of my Quincy Corvette copy with the black I was going to use for this build as I think the Corvette copy would look better with black hardware as its natural Ash anyway......... 😀 

First coat of Black on.............. 

I'll leave it till after the weekend now so it can harden completely then I'll flatten it a little bit and then second coat it

I think I will definitely go with the chrome hardware but I'm not sure what to do the pickguard out of? I don't know if a chrome/mirror pickguard would be too much or should I just not have a pickguard or what about black or white??..............

Ideas please!?!............😀 

Edited by Jimothey

18 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

(still sulking because the yellow/black scheme has been dropped)

Not saying.

Sorry now I feel bad................its OK I'm over it now!! 

I'm still going to do a Yellow and Black one but it's just going to be in the shape of a 5 string P bass instead! Does that make you a little bit happier 😀

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I'm still going to do a Yellow and Black one but it's just going to be in the shape of a 5 string P bass instead! Does that make you a little bit happier 😀

I'm like Muttley with a medal mate.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

Oooooo, if you're casting Speedblocks aside (sob 😜) you could do it in the Lotus colours, BRG with a yellow centre section.

Eye thank yew, design consultancy fees to the usual Swiss bank account. 😉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Got the headstock reshaped and filled ready for the new tuner holes and a coat of black on it............... 

_20190321_175445.thumb.JPG.3375b94671e92ba546657396618c8de3.JPG

Any in-process shots of how you went about this?  It's not actually an easy thing to do well - this looks a decent job ;)

On 22/03/2019 at 07:05, Andyjr1515 said:

Any in-process shots of how you went about this?  It's not actually an easy thing to do well - this looks a decent job ;)

No sorry mate but when I've sanded it you'll see how I jointed it but I did make a mistake I didn't make the timber long enough (I didn't think that the fender style headstock was that much longer than the Ibanez style!!) so I had to plant a piece on the end so this probably isn't a great example............ 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

No sorry mate but when I've sanded it you'll see how I jointed it but I did make a mistake I didn't make the timber long enough (I didn't think that the fender style headstock was that much longer than the Ibanez style!!) so I had to plant a piece on the end so this probably isn't a great example............ 

_20190322_083543.thumb.JPG.755aee73ad07f9f9069091ca428bb65a.JPG

Nicely done, whatever!  Great job

Andy

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Nicely done, whatever!  Great job

Andy

It's just had its first coat of black on its face

I'm going to use some maple veneer I've got to overlay the back and sides so it should look OK once it's finished......😀 

• Like 1