Why become a member? ×

Surely mentioned on here before now?

karlfer

16 hours ago, Muzz said:

Since when do Fender Custom Shop relics have such shiny gold hardware?

Ah you see now, it's a Fender "Custom Shop" according to the listing. Definitely not to be confused with a Fender Custom Shop and I am sure the seller has made that perfectly clear so as not to accidentally trick people in to thinking otherwise...🤔

I messaged him to ask about the Custom Shop Certificate, sadly no longer available as all the contents of the tweed case we're damaged in a house flood.....it was listed on Gumtree when I'd seen it, £1500. 

I thought it looked like a Mike Dirnt Roadworn, I used to have one and the wear looks very, very similar, but I'm not sure why you'd swap out a perfectly legit Fender decal for a duff one?

Bit of an odd thing swapping out the hardware and decal?  Seems like a fair amount of effort for very little return, unless it's a Squier Dirnt I guess?

Either way, I shan't be passing with any funds for that.

83E4FABB-B737-48F8-A0E5-8915A0835581.jpeg

510CFE39-E387-4C2A-86A6-A798992C0A8B.jpeg

3DFB168D-8C85-495B-8182-D6B5E0F5C6A9.jpeg

41F6BA8E-46D7-42C3-A11C-8A1439EBE16C.jpeg

My eyesight is crap but to me the body looks like a Squier Dirnt that's been finished with whitewash O.o

MADE IN JAPAN Gotohs, no serial number of any kind showing anywhere that I can see.

I refer my learned friends to line #1 of post #1 :|

Edit. While I think on, Fender Custom Shop waterslide decals can be had for about £4 on FEEBay.

Edited by karlfer

I messaged him on Monday:

just so I can be 100% certain, was this bass actually produced by the Fender Custom Shop?

You mention in your listing "Custom Shop" and a "Custom Shop" decal but Im not sure why you are putting these details in quoatation marks?

He replied yesterday:

I’m not too sure if it is. It has the logo on the back of the headstock but no certificate. I put it in quotation marks because I’m not sure.

Make your own mind up about how honest he is...

25 minutes ago, Muzz said:

It's amazing, isn't it, that whenever a seller's unsure, they give the impression that something's more valuable...

Reminds me of an old friend of mine who, to be fair, was never on the same planet as the rest of us. I remember him telling me excitedly over the phone that he'd got his mitts on an electric guitar.

"Oh, nice. What have you got?"

"Erm...I think it's a Fender Stratocaster."

I nearly choked on my coffee. The rest of us were all playing Squiers and Epiphones if we were lucky - where had he found the money for a real Fender? Then something struck me as odd: Wait... I thought, you think it's a Strat? Surely there's a big, helpful label on the headstock that would tell you if it is. But, as I say, he was often on a different planet from the rest of us, so I thought better than to labour the point.

I managed to stifle a laugh when he showed it to me. The headstock was blank - it was one of those unbranded starter kit guitars from Argos. In fact, I'm pretty sure he even bought the pack from Argos...but rather than do any research, or ask somebody who would know, he fell back on the fact that he knew roughly what a Strat and a Les Paul looked like, and since this one looked more like the former, it couldn't possibly be anything except a Fender Stratocaster.

Beats me why someone would bother to modify a perfectly good original bass, that was worth a few quid in its own right, and is now left with a bit of a white elephant of questionable origin? I sold my Dirnt Roadworn for around £1200.00!?