Why become a member? ×

Ampeg. Are they the Marmite of amps?

XoSo

• 2 weeks later...

Im Running a Full SVT CL 4x10 set up atm, Compare with the PF heads.... The PF Series Ive owned and is pretty much look nice but pretty flat. Better of with a Tech 21 VT500 and x 4x10 or 2x12 set up for the price range 

And as Loz says " Then the whole band started playing and I realised what all the fuss was about, sat beautifully in the mix, no booming, no weediness, just solid bass presence. ".. Very true, I use a small Preamp to boost lower freq of 40 . However Match a DarkGlass B7K Ultra and fk me... Warwick in Drop C and its a White Wash over everything

Hiho I,ll bite,Ampeg big classic valve head and 8x10 cab has been industry standard for decades I have played quiet a few of them.To me they sound like what,s the fuss about solo but they work when the band kicks in.I love Marmite but Orange does it for me but if I was playing at a festival and Ampeg was there I would just use it and not worry as long as the valves were in good shape and the speakers hadn,t been thrashed to death.

The best Ampeg sound I ,ve ever heard was an old flip top through an Ampeg 15" with an old vintage precision nicotine stains and all,never forgotten that sound and the keyboard player had an old Hammond with real Leslie speakers-Aural heaven.

ps-the drummer had an old Rodgers kit and it sounded fab as well.I talked to the band after the gig and they had been playing together for over 30 years with the same gear.

On 11/02/2019 at 18:04, fleabag said:

My BA 115 combo was an utter pile of.  I wouldnt compare this to their real gear though.

After watching / listening to Bowie live at the BBC in 2000, and listening to Mark Plati give it some on Ashes to Ashes , and Gail Ann Dorsey on the rest, i decided i loved the tone.  Especially Ashes to Ashes when guitarist Plati took over on bass. Wonderful. Cant tell ya what model Plati and Dorsey are playing thorugh, but Ampeg officianados will know

But how much of what you hear from your TV is down to the Ampeg? You simply can't tell.

I think I could pick out ampeg and gallien krueger from a crowd as having "their own tones".

I've only heard one Glockenklang and that was an odd tone. Not one that I enjoyed, but it might have just been that specific set up. 

But 99% of the time I wouldn't have a clue what amp a bass is playing through. 

Edited by AScheck9