Why become a member? ×

Fill my knob cavity!

Newfoundfreedom

Ooh Matron!

Chopping and changing pickups, preamps etc, we sometimes end up with less pots / knobs than we originally started with. Thereby leaving a redundant hole in the body. Is there anything more imaginative out there than leaving an old pot and knob on the body as a blank? I know it's possible in some cases to move the Jack connector on to the front of the body, but that's only moving holes around. I'm sure some enterprising person has come up with something a little more....... Erm....... More. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

What size is the hole,  matron !

Erm..... That's probably a really good question, but I have no idea as I haven't removed the old pot yet.

Would "standard pot sized" be a daft answer? 

Can you tell I've never actually worked on a bass guitars electronics? I've just inherited a redundant pot on my latest acquisition. 

1 minute ago, stevel said:

Just an idea... (and only springs to mind because I'm trying to do this!):

Put a 3 (or 4, 5, whatever) way selector switch in there, and wire it up to different tone caps to get some distinctly different sounds out of your bass.

Funnily enough I thought about a selector switch just after posting the question. I have no idea how the electronics wound go but I expect I could find some kind of tutorial on YouTube. 

35 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Erm..... That's probably a really good question, but I have no idea as I haven't removed the old pot yet.

Would "standard pot sized" be a daft answer? 

Can you tell I've never actually worked on a bass guitars electronics? I've just inherited a redundant pot on my latest acquisition. 

I was going to suggest a selector switch which stevel has said , I think they look really tidy and wired in would serve a purpose 🙂

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 09:46, Newfoundfreedom said:

A sub machine gun would be much more useful for children's parties. I'd rather play to pigeons. 

Me too, but I was sitting in town today for 5 minutes while my wife was chatting to a vegetable seller (no, I have no idea why it has to take so long either). By the time she had finished I was pretty mesmerised by them all going around, especially one boy who was desperately trying to show off to all the girls. He didn't seem to be having  much luck. Pretty peaceful in the middle of a shopping day

Back on the knob front, I have the same issue. I have my Iby 5005 which I took out the original pre for a glokenclang, but have gone from Vol / Balance / Bass / Middle / Mid Freq / Treble and a switch for bypass to Vol / Bal / Bass / Mid / Treble and a pull on the volume for bypass.

So i have one too many pots and one too many switches. I left a blank pot in, but there is a hole for the switch. But leaving in the switch wasn't so good as I forget which one it is! I might see if I have some rosewood left to fill the hole

• Like 1