Why become a member? ×

The Police

Ricky 4000

How come Sting's police were allowed to call themselves the police?

I thought it was against the law to impersonate a police officer? One of the few professions that it's illegal to impersonate... another is a doctor... there's at least one more but I've forgotten it.

Anyway, if calling yourself "The Police" isn't impersonating a police - I don't know what is.

Therefore why weren't HRH the Queen's police involved?

Any help from the police would be appreciated.

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 4

Can you imagine if The Police had their van nicked?

*Ring Ring*

Hello, police.

Hi there, this is Gordon from the police. Our van's been nicked.

Jeeze, a police van? Boy you're in trouble.

No... well, yes, I suppose you could say its a police van... it's certainly the police van.

What?

Look, I'm in the police.

OK.

And our van's been nicked.

Right.

Well can you like, find it?

You're in the police.

Yes.

Find your own ****ing van before your Sgt finds out.

No... I'm not in the police!

You said you were!

Well in one way I am.

I'm recording this, you know.

Oh, that's ironic.

What?

Etc...

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 2
  • Haha 20

I was so looking forward to seeing them at Reading festival, I think it was 1978, either way we got arrested and spent the evening enjoying the gentle hospitality of Thames Valley Police instead.

Yes, we got arrested while Sting Stu and Andy got away with it. Go figure.

The irony wasn't lost on one cheerful Bobby "don't worry son, you'll be seeing plenty of the Police tonight." He quipped as he gave my mate another friendly slap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I was so looking forward to seeing them at Reading festival, I think it was 1978, either way we got arrested and spent the evening enjoying the gentle hospitality of Thames Valley Police instead.

Obviously a feature. We saw the police in 1983 reading festival. The ones at thames valley that is, a lot of our stuff got knicked. Surprisingly and quite pleasantly, we got most of it back and noone had to get any slappings (maybe the guy who knicked the stuff did, would have been ok with that).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Has there ever been a Police tribute called "Police False"?

Not to my knowledge, and we had a thorough look into The Police tribute band names before settling for our own name:
Accidentally Falling Down a Staircase.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

How come The Killers could use the name, when there was another band called "Killers". Could one name a band "The U2" or "The Coldplay" and get away with it?

Pretty sure I remember reading that Coldplay stole their name from another band anyway.

Then they stole their entire repertoire from Unforgettable Fire-era U2, apparently filtered through weak tea and insipid pink blancmange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Pretty sure I remember reading that Coldplay stole their name from another band anyway.

Then they stole their entire repertoire from Unforgettable Fire-era U2, apparently filtered through weak tea and insipid pink blancmange.

Stop being coy, what do you think of Coldplay? 

9 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

How come The Killers could use the name, when there was another band called "Killers". Could one name a band "The U2" or "The Coldplay" and get away with it?

Theirs is a reference to a black and white movie I understand