Why become a member? Read more... ×
Basschat podcast: Episode 3 Read more... ×
bigsmokebass

So, how rare is the Yamaha BEX-BS?

Hey guys, 

I've been on the prowl for this bass for quite a while now, the Yamaha BEX-BS Billy Sheehan, and only seems to be something that only exists in his dvd and rarely online. I've fancied it for a while as I'm after something more acoustic/hollow body in sound to take on for a few home recordings, some versatility compared to plugging in an electric at open mic nights with friends but this definitely ticks boxes for me.

I've seen and tried a few models of acoustics and hollow bodies over the past few years from working in a guitar store or whilst going elsewhere to try whatever I can get my hands on, nothing seems to really hit the spot, often than not being cheap or short scale, resulting in quite a 'muddy' tone for the quite rich and taught sound I'd imagine for an acoustic bass. 

Anyway, I'm coming to the end of my tether now thinking they've been sucked into a big black hole and forgotten about and thought I'd make a last attempt just to see if anyone else has seen much of this rare creature or knows of anyone who has one to try or to buy 😉

You'll know the thing when you see it, even online most pictures tend to be pretty dated too... 

eg2003-11-728.thumb.jpg.027235e8642262a63270692e19cd790b.jpg

Don't know the BEX-BS, but the BEX-4 is nice (much cheaper, I presume!), so it ought to be pretty good. 

I don't like the arrangement of the controls on the BEX-BS much, but I can see the problem (I assume it has a piezo bridge like its inexpensive cousin?).

7 hours ago, alyctes said:

Don't know the BEX-BS, but the BEX-4 is nice (much cheaper, I presume!), so it ought to be pretty good. 

I don't like the arrangement of the controls on the BEX-BS much, but I can see the problem (I assume it has a piezo bridge like its inexpensive cousin?).

Roughly £500 depending on condition, which I don't think is *too* much more than the BEX-4 and still a good price among good acoustic and hollow body basses.

For me, I don't mind the controls really. I guess the blue light might be a bit odd for an active bass and might stick out more than I'd like but I could live with that 😅 

Trying to hunt one down is my problem, they were either really good that no one is letting go or they were limited and never made it over here. I think if it was bad, they'd be for sale a lot more often. 

4 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Roughly £500 depending on condition, which I don't think is *too* much more than the BEX-4 and still a good price among good acoustic and hollow body basses.

For me, I don't mind the controls really. I guess the blue light might be a bit odd for an active bass and might stick out more than I'd like but I could live with that 😅 

Trying to hunt one down is my problem, they were either really good that no one is letting go or they were limited and never made it over here. I think if it was bad, they'd be for sale a lot more often. 

BEX-4 goes for maybe £200-220 at the moment, I think.  There aren't all that many on sale, so it's hard to tell.  (I know I'm not selling mine in a hurry :) )

My Bex4 is one of my 'never selling' basses. It's just far too good an instrument for the prices they make. Not entirely sure I'd want the extra PU and electronics in the BS, the standard ones are simple and extremely versatile tone wise. 

Good luck with search though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ikay said:

£/€740 is a little too much really, I'd probably be looking at around £1,000 once I've paid for delivery and customs. 

£550 was my ballpark figure.

Thanks for looking though bud, much appreciated 😁👍🏻

8 hours ago, alyctes said:

BEX-4 goes for maybe £200-220 at the moment, I think.  There aren't all that many on sale, so it's hard to tell.  (I know I'm not selling mine in a hurry :) )

6 hours ago, Maude said:

My Bex4 is one of my 'never selling' basses. It's just far too good an instrument for the prices they make. Not entirely sure I'd want the extra PU and electronics in the BS, the standard ones are simple and extremely versatile tone wise. 

Good luck with search though. 

I guess it's each to their own with the electronics and I suppose once you're use to a particular bass having a particular setup, it's something different again, whereas I've not played the BEX4 (at least not in recent years) and can become accustomed to any differences easily. 

Glad you're both enjoying your BEX-4 basses though, Yamaha are clearly doing something right for you guys not wanting to part with yours. I'm just all the more eager to get my hands on a BS and failing that, I'll join you guys 😂👌🏻

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

£/€740 is a little too much really, I'd probably be looking at around £1,000 once I've paid for delivery and customs. 

£550 was my ballpark figure.

Thanks for looking though bud, much appreciated 😁👍🏻

Shouldn't be any customs fees if you buy and live within the EU

• Like 1