Why become a member? ×

Finger players. So you ever get cramp?

ubit

27 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

One suggestion that none of the above has covered is stage volume, if I can hear myself properly on stage then I am fine, but on a stage where the monitors are not so good  or the acoustics of the stage play havoc with my normal setup then I find myself playing harder, digging in more which soon leads to a feeling that fingers are going to cramp.

That's a good point, something that I`ve had a few time, mainly my first times on bigger stages, ended up digging in far too much. Now with a bit more experience I can deal with this but the first time, man did my picking hand hurt after that gig.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I thought that we were supposed to reduce our salt intake??? I don't add salt to my food...In regards cramp I get it if I play for more than an hour or so. I need to read the article above about 'nanas...

I agree, but I met a medic recently who said he suffered from low blood pressure. I asked what did he do to alleviate this? I take more salt, was his reply 🤔

Edited by ubit

I've had it in both hands a few times where one of the fingers will just cramp right over and I had to quickly employ a thumb to finish the number. I think it's partly down to dehydration. Drink loads of water during the day prior to a gig and don't drink alcohol before or while playing (I know, sorry!!) as it's well known to suck all the sugars out of the body and dehydrate you that way. 

It may well be also tensing up too much when digging in so try to play with relaxed fingers. Thinking about it, I've also felt it coming on when my playing hand arm is draped over the edge of the bass body too hard affecting things that way.

I have tried the banana trick and I think it certainly helps to boost the system up. All I know is, it's an embarrassing state of affairs standing there like a silly billy trying to undo the stuck down digit while the others are rocking on!!

Ok, i know its about pick playing, but interesting perspective on this vid from an ex-ramone...

I wear low, and oh yeah, ride a bike! Ok, i have sort of given up my bike commute because of rain and laziness, but where i live its dead hilly, so any ride tends to involve a lot of braking - with flat bars and mtb levers, which is a super good hand strength work out... :D

Relax, chances are you're playing too heavily - usually either a demanding bass part which is on the edge of your ability causing you to tense up or you're struggling for volume and subconsciously compensating. Always the chance it's an underlying condition so get it checked out either way, our guitarist gets this every now and then due to an old injury from a motorbike accident and had to stop playing for a few years but even working at a computer all day can cause strain injuries. Might be worth going to a tutor and getting any technique issues identified and sorted out, can't hurt really and we can all develop bad habits.

Whenever I have any semi-demanding part which involves my fretting hand being in a set position and my picking fingers repeating the same pattern constantly (think the ad nauseum root & 1/16th octaves on Hot Stuff or something) I just make sure I relax. 

• Like 1

Is like to thank everyone for their input on this topic. I’m thinking now that as I tend to dig in anyway and frequently, towards the end of our set, due to loud stage volume, my ears would lose certain frequencies and I would struggle to hear my bass and I was probably digging in even more. Monitors and a quieter stage volume sound like the solution. Thanks again guys!

I sieze up a bit if my hands are cold. We rehearse in a cold warehouse, and have to have fires plugged in but still it takes a while to warm up

Other than that, i dont get cramps. I always try to play every day, just to keep the muscle memory, and also the digits kinda loose.

stay well hydrated before the gig

strengthen your hand muscles by playing FIFA19 on a console.Don't laugh, this worked for me. I suffer from arthritis, when I started playing FIFA my hands would cramp well before halftime. I persevered and don't ever cramp anymore. Dedication to console gaming IS actually useful, who would've thought?

Play with a softer touch, turn your amp up a bit more so that you have to play softly or else you'd be too loud.

4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

. . . . strengthen your hand muscles by playing FIFA19 on a console.Don't laugh, this worked for me. I suffer from arthritis, when I started playing FIFA my hands would cramp well before halftime. I persevered and don't ever cramp anymore. Dedication to console gaming IS actually useful, who would've thought?

If something works then incorporate into a practice regime. If you try to run a marathon you won't get far unless you've already trained to run a marathon. Hydration is important but it's only a small part of the picture. If your muscles, tendons and ligaments aren't up to it you're not going to succeed and you'll be running the risk of straining or hurting yourself in some way.

As I said, practice, practice and practice some more. Use your hands in such a way as to train them up for speed and dexterity. Play lines faster than you need and then the slower speed of the song will make it easier to play.

Most of the time "Digging in" is wasted energy. Control your playing and increase your accuracy.

Then. . . .  always warm up, relax, play softer, let the amp take the strain.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 06:12, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Thankfully, contrary to expection, I haven’t suffered a full recurrence, but one thing I have learnt is that wearing a wedding ring on that finger aggravates it immensely. In fact, I haven’t worn it or any other finger bands since. I sincerely hope this has nothing to do with what you’re suffering, but I just thought it worth mentioning for the information of all.

Interesting.  I've been getting something similar, but not as bad, more often recently.  My fretting hand and forearm becomes numb.  Especially around the ring and little fingers.  Particularly when playing Sweet Home Alabama for some reason.  No idea why as it's not exactly hard work to play.  I've tried different ways to hold the neck when playing it but that doesn't seem to make much difference.

I'll try putting my wedding ring on my picking hand at the next gig and see if that makes any difference.  Cheers!

I used to get terrible leg cramps many years ago, but have never had cramp playing.  I have been on a plant based diet for many years, which seemed to solve my leg cramping issues and I have not consumed alcohol for a couple of years.  As a family, we do not add salt to food that we cook, in general.

Have a look at diet and circulation/Sedentary lifestyle, some very simple changes can fix these issues.

**Probably best to avoid inviting me on a night out with the above factors in mind! Right miserable b*stard!

Top sports people become faster / stronger / more capable than the rest by really investing time, effort, practice, and thought into it. Making music is highly demanding, and musicians need to take the same approach.  Work on improv8ng your technique. Get a bass that fits you well and get it professionally set up. Show your body some love with healthy living and the occasional massage.  Purchase gear that makes your life easier (and your sound louder).  Learn how it all fits together - that’s why forums like this are invaluable.  I’m too old to work harder, so working smarter is all I’ve got!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gpw5150 said:

I used to get terrible leg cramps many years ago, but have never had cramp playing.  I have been on a plant based diet for many years, which seemed to solve my leg cramping issues and I have not consumed alcohol for a couple of years.  As a family, we do not add salt to food that we cook, in general.

Have a look at diet and circulation/Sedentary lifestyle, some very simple changes can fix these issues.

**Probably best to avoid inviting me on a night out with the above factors in mind! Right miserable b*stard!

I appreciate your choices and would never knock what someone else believes is good for them but the thought of no more steaks or beers would make my life unbearable!  😳

1 minute ago, ubit said:

I appreciate your choices and would never knock what someone else believes is good for them but the thought of no more steaks or beers would make my life unbearable!  😳

I hear you there!

My rather labored point is that sometimes a small change in diet or lifestyle can fix things.  My changes were quite extreme, go big or go home!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gpw5150 said:

I hear you there!

My rather labored point is that sometimes a small change in diet or lifestyle can fix things.  My changes were quite extreme, go big or go home!

Certainly Mrs Ubit has made a difference to my diet. She advocates healthy eating and I have actually lost close to three stones in weight in this last year. I just can’t bear the thought of no more of the things I like. I just try to have them less frequently.