Why become a member? ×

The Defiant Ones - Iovine and Dre Documentary

darkandrew

Just watched the first 2 episodes of The Defiant Ones on BBC4 last night and found it really interesting. Before watching, I thought the Jimmy Iovine story would be of most interest to me but I actually found the Dr Dre stuff more so - I think his reputation and dare I say it - the image of hip hop generally, unduly undermine a very smart, intelligent artist and businessman. As for Jimmy Iovine? Yes he's had some luck but as the old saying goes, "you make your own luck" and in Iovine's case it appears to have been made by hard graft - so good luck to him. The second episode left us in the early 80's and I'm looking forward to the next instalment next Friday.

Edited by darkandrew
  • Thanks 1

I think I'll check it out tonight.

I'm a big fan of Dre and the whole G Funk thing.

Dr Dre is a fascinating  character. He has this rapper persona of being some sort of old school LA gangsta street hood, whereas the reality is that he's been a succesful DJ, producer and composer since the age of 19 before forging a name as rapper , initially in an almost Ringo-with-the-beatles type role with NWA where they just gave him the occasional relatively light hearted track to front on top of his DJ/producer duties.

Since then he's gone on to become one of the most succesful rappers ever in his own right, produced and composed on a shedload of hit records for other people and forged a billion dollar business empire.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

Watched both episodes and really enjoyed them. There’s some really good early footage of both Iovine and Dre at the start of their respective careers that show how completely driven they were and their passion for music (and it’s safe to say that neither came from what you’d call a ‘moneyed’ background).

Really looking forward to next week’s episodes.

As a couple of asides: JJ Fad had previously completely passed me by! And I’d forgotten just what a wonderful piece of music Springsteen’s Meeting Across the River is.

Yeah, well worth a watch...