Why become a member? ×

Headphone amps

Soledad

On 11/02/2019 at 15:41, EliasMooseblaster said:

Small Behringer mixing desk (Xenyx-502)

Question please Moose - so my Xenyx 802 arrived today, 30-odd quid and utterly amazing lot of gear and knobs for little money. Solid and good I think. Thanks for the tip!
So, the whole Xenyx looks quite stereo, and my basses are mono obv.
I need to read the manual but is there a simple thing to do here? I mean get my bass into L&R in the mixer?

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

So, the whole Xenyx looks quite stereo, and my basses are mono obv.
I need to read the manual but is there a simple thing to do here? I mean get my bass into L&R in the mixer?

Channels 1 and 2 are mono, so using either of those should just work.  You might have to turn up the gain a bit.

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

Yes, indeed, much as the others have suggested above, it will send a mono signal out to both sides if the pan control is centred. Just a couple of things to watch out for:

- most importantly, I think some of those channels will only work as mono. I'm trying to do this from memory, but I think inputs 3 and 5(?) can be used as separate channels, or as the second part of a stereo pair, depending on what you plug in where. If you plug into one of those, you may only get a mono signal out in one ear! But the other two (2 and 4?) will give a stereo output if there's nothing plugged into their complementary channel (3 or 5, respectively).

- there's a mic preamp on channel 1 only (hence the treble and bass controls on that one). This does provide some gentle colouring to the tone, so if you want a completely dry signal, you may be better off going into channel 2. I personally found it was a bit too much when combined with the amp sim element of my BDDI; that said it may be handy if you ever find yourself plugging a passive bass directly into the Xenyx.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

handy if you ever find yourself plugging a passive bass directly into the Xenyx.

thanks for all your help. Got a pair of those Sony phones on way - s/h on the bay, £12.50 ;)

re passive, there is some risk of a Fender Jazz in there soon (MIJ '65 reissue maybe). Also have to dig out the 6.3 - 3.5 phone jack adapter - in a box somewhere

very close now, report back soon as poss.