Why become a member? ×

The BlazerRay... Now finished!

BassTool

2 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Bloody brilliant!  Now for some side by side before and after shots, then another project please!

I'll try and sort pics @Pea Turgh but I started with the bass in bits and am gutted I never took a full on shot of the Blazer before starting - and I don't know what I'm going to do next if anything! This truly was a first for me, a big undertaking and I've learned a lot from it. I took a punt on the gluing thing first and it just snowballed from there! After following build diaries for so long and finally doing my own I've got to say I've loved almost every minute 😆

I've literally completed it today, and I have got to say a big thanks to John East for helping me via email to get the wiring right. (No welding rods required!)

I emailed him with a query at 8.50 this morning and he had got back to me with a detailed answer by 9.30!

Brilliant service John if you're on here 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassTool said:

I've literally completed it today, and I have got to say a big thanks to John East for helping me via email to get the wiring right. (No welding rods required!)

I emailed him with a query at 8.50 this morning and he had got back to me with a detailed answer by 9.30!

Brilliant service John if you're on here 😎

That’s a really nice looking job!  You must be very pleased.

Completely agree - John East is a really helpful chap.

Look forward to your next project.

Cheers

Jez

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I'm not sure whether I like this or not...can you drop it round so that I can test it? I'll give it back in, say...a couple of months...promise...😉😉

Seriously though...nice job

3 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

That’s a really nice looking job!  You must be very pleased.

Completely agree - John East is a really helpful chap.

Look forward to your next project.

Cheers

Jez

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Super job :)

You three chaps were instrumental to this transformation. @TheGreek your amazing bass as I've said earlier - maybe a swap? 🤣WOW the job  @Andyjr1515 did transforming that into the stunner it became, and his threads were my go to for advice from all the stuff he's done generally ;) @Jabba_the_gut amazing work and incredible designs, yourself and so many other fabulous builders on here - too many to mention - whose threads I've followed and learned from this last couple of years, thanks to you all for sharing your skills 👍

Really enjoyed doing this and well pleased with the end result - I forgot to say that it sounds exactly like a BlazerRay... 😲 

I'm going back to being an avid reader now 😀

• Like 2

• BassTool changed the title to The BlazerRay... Now finished!
On 24/02/2019 at 18:37, BassTool said:

To keep the brass sealed I'll use a spray lacquer, this is the final result.

IMG_20190224_162348113.thumb.jpg.1f78a049f604fc8c73a0ac6f0e0dc7b3.jpg

These are a great functional bridge IMO, and I'm more than happy to keep this on the bass as I'm also replacing the nut with a chunkier brass version.

wow, stunning result

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BassTool said:

You three chaps were instrumental to this transformation. @TheGreek your amazing bass as I've said earlier - maybe a swap? 🤣WOW the job  @Andyjr1515 did transforming that into the stunner it became, and his threads were my go to for advice from all the stuff he's done generally ;) @Jabba_the_gut amazing work and incredible designs, yourself and so many other fabulous builders on here - too many to mention - whose threads I've followed and learned from this last couple of years, thanks to you all for sharing your skills 👍

Really enjoyed doing this and well pleased with the end result - I forgot to say that it sounds exactly like a BlazerRay... 😲 

I'm going back to being an avid reader now 😀

Truly a job well done! We need some sound clips now, don't we?

• Like 1

Headstock decal was provided by Rob at www.guitardecals.co.uk 

After being quoted £57 by Rothko & Frost for my 'complex design' request I found this guy on ebay who did me two waterslide transfers for less than £10. Great bloke to deal with, and got my decal exactly as I wanted it - recommended 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Brilliant end result mate! I've never been keen on 'Rays but I'm dying for a noodle on this! The quality of the finished piece is amazing!

6 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Oh and I can't stop looking at the close-ups of the fretboard after you went at it, it looks so good! Got me wondering whether I should do the same on my JM Jazz's maple fretboard... you bugger!

Thanks very much Rikki, honestly, if I can do it, anyone can ;) go for it.

Incidentally I used 2000 grit to get that orange lacquer down. 👍

All my other basses except my P have rosewood boards, my own first Blazer back in 1980 however was a maple neck like this one (it then became my fretless in 1983 when I defretted a Cimar Grabber maple neck with RW board and put it with the Blazer body, still got it) I'm loving the revisit to a maple neck and board, and as you can probably imagine, I can't put this down at the moment 😆

6 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Great job your attention to detail is exceptional! Love the finished look! Only problem now its got me Gassing for a Stingray!! 😁 

Love your builds Jimothey, glad you've enjoyed it 👍

Forget those Stingrays..... and build yourself an imposter 😁

😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BassTool said:

Love your builds Jimothey, glad you've enjoyed it 👍

Forget those Stingrays..... and build yourself an imposter 😁

😎

That's a great name to put on my basses "Imposter" I think I'm going to have to use it!! 😁 

A 'Ray will have to wait a while because I'm doing my Fenderbird build now, then I'm going to finally do my 5 string Precision and I'm toying with the idea of doing a semi hollow after that? That's only if I can get the Bass Embargo lifted that Mrs Jimothey has slapped on me!! 🤬

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Soledad said:

Very smart work indeed. Applause. Brass nut seems a good idea, I'd imagine the harder the nut material the better. All right tasty.

Brass is also a self lubricating material.  That's a good quality to have because the strings are required to move slightly yet smoothly across the nut during tuning or with changes in ambient temperature and humidity.

• Like 2