Why become a member? ×

Calling Hondo Professional H1015 owners

Paul S

I finally got my Hondo back off our drummer, after reading someone's post that you can tell a Matsumoku from the stamp on the heal of the neck (annoyingly I can't find the post now), anyway mine's got nothing on the heal of the neck, so I'm guessing not a good sign.

Not worth getting another bridge

hondo bridge.jpg

Edited by PaulWarning

Oh yeah, I used it as a lefty, and the picture has it with different pickup fitted before I found out Dimazio's were stock, wonders why it didn't improve things, doh, it's got the originals back on now

Edited by PaulWarning

• 4 weeks later...

just got one of these bridges

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Point-Bass-Guitar-Bridge-Tailpiece-Chrome-Fit-Epi/362593119663?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

fits perfectly, seems solid enough, time will tell if it bows like the old one

btw, it is all chrome, not like the picture

Edited by PaulWarning

On 15/04/2019 at 20:13, PaulWarning said:

I finally got my Hondo back off our drummer, after reading someone's post that you can tell a Matsumoku from the stamp on the heal of the neck (annoyingly I can't find the post now), anyway mine's got nothing on the heal of the neck, so I'm guessing not a good sign.

Not worth getting another bridge

hondo bridge.jpg

Never mind the lack of markings - that looks 100% like a Matsumoku 3-point to me. Original on my Mat-built Westbury:

trackbridge.jpg.86e9427531fe760efec4fd3473b092c5.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just an update to this.  One cropped up on eBay a few weeks ago for a low enough BIN that I couldn't resist.  Collection only from Pershore, I'm 170 miles away in SE Essex, but I just so happened to almost driving past the chap's door on Saturday last.  So I have finally got my hands on one.  In very good condition, bought back in the 80s by a guitarist to do some odd bits of recording and thus very low mileage.  And it is enormously heavy at 4.5kg.  😂  No way could I play it for more than 30 mins even with the widest strap I own.

But... the neck is really very good indeed -  straight and true, frets barely used, a nice warm honey colour and the dimensions and contours just seem to fit my hand nicely.  Plus the pickup appears to be a DiMarzio.  So I have hatched a dastardly plant to fit the neck into the body of this lightweight Encore, below, that I also got a few weeks back in my recent cheap double cutaway bass buying frenzy.  It isn't a direct fit, plus the scale lengths are different, but I know someone handy with a router and there is room to shift the bridge backwards to make the 32" scale work.  Strangely the Hondo neck is lighter than the Encore one so it may not neck dive either.  Should look a treat with the maple neck on there :)  

encore.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And to complete the saga, I had the Hondo neck transplanted into the Encore body, (Honcore?  Endo?) which had to routed somewhat to accommodate it.  But I have to say it looks fantastic.  It doesn't neck dive, either - I guess because it was shunted backwards a bit so made up for the extra scale length.  What I was hoping for - and what has happened in bucketloads - was some extra zing from the maple neck.  This is something I've read about countless times tha maple necks give more bite to the sound but never had a chance to A/B it before.  It certainly has with this which, combined with the snarley Entwistle pickup, make it a bit of a beast.  I was intending to fit some Hipshot Ultralite tuners but these stock one work just fine and are probably lighter.   Weighs in at 3.1kg - well under 7lbs.

honcore.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paul S said:

And to complete the saga, I had the Hondo neck transplanted into the Encore body, (Honcore?  Endo?) which had to routed somewhat to accommodate it.  But I have to say it looks fantastic.  It doesn't neck dive, either - I guess because it was shunted backwards a bit so made up for the extra scale length.  What I was hoping for - and what has happened in bucketloads - was some extra zing from the maple neck.  This is something I've read about countless times tha maple necks give more bite to the sound but never had a chance to A/B it before.  It certainly has with this which, combined with the snarley Entwistle pickup, make it a bit of a beast.  I was intending to fit some Hipshot Ultralite tuners but these stock one work just fine and are probably lighter.   Weighs in at 3.1kg - well under 7lbs.

honcore.jpg

Does indeed look like a beast, nice weight too. 👍

• Like 1