Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass Guitar strings - recommendations

Bilbo

As above. Need to restring my Harley Benton Acoustic bass guitar (4 string). Any brand preferences? Prices range widely and I only need good enough but don't want to buy cheap and buy twice. 

Before anyone snorts at the Bass, it sounds great and I love it.

Edited by Bilbo

No snorting here , I love my fretless too.  Picato black nylon tape wounds here , bit of a game getting the E to fit through the bridge involving trimming the silks and compressing with mole grips but it was worth it .

C2186A85-0772-4E95-9587-5CB12248B0BC.thumb.jpeg.0e87d6b8bd1fb3f69f508a7f450987de.jpeg

( Deko , hence the wrong label . )

I recently re-acquired an acoustic bass and have just fitted it with La Bella white nylons to see what the fuss was about.  Previously I had used black nylons for their general 'double-bass-esque thuddiness' but these whites, whilst still doing this, also retain a brightness that the black ones seem to lack.  I am converted!

As said nylon coated is the way forward for acoustic basses, I think if a lot of opinions about the instrument would change if people heard them strung with nylons. I've had Roto Trubass on mine (not my first choice but they were cheap and barely used) for about a decade and they still sound great so not that expensive in the grand scheme of things!

My favourite nylon coated strings were Galli many moons ago but not tried them in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall volume is lower to my ears but generally they sound deeper with a fuller low end. If you're playing with guitars they might actually be more audible (obviously a lot of variables there but still) as they will sit underneath the guitar rather than competing with it. YMMV, I never liked those clanky bronze strings and struggled with them for years - trying to ape a steel strung acoustic guitar sound whereas nylons are their own thing and much more suited to what I need an acoustic bass to do.

My cheapo battered Ozark acoustic with nylons and a defret sounds way better than I thought it ever could when I bought it. Also as I said above you change nylons when you break one, I bought mine used and they've been on there for over 10 years so in the long run they're the cheapest strings to use!

If you decide to go the Phosphor Bronze strings route you should definitely consider checking out a set of DR acoustic bass strings. Somewhat pricey and difficult to find but I've had a set on my Stanford acoustic bass for about 2 and a half years and after much playing they still sound bloody marvellous! These are by far the best sounding acoustic bass strings I have ever used - so well balanced and full toned. In the past I've tried Elites, D'Addario and Rotosound acoustic bass strings and these DR bad-boys are better than all of them. The quality and longevity you get for the extra money definitely pays off in my experience.

I’ve used a fair number of phosphor bronzewounds on my Washburn AB20, and for the last few years have settled on Fender 8060 set, which are gauges 45-100. Suspect they may be made by D’Addario? Last a reasonable time and sound fine. Usually pay around £13.50 a set. If you’re after a budget set to try, the Warwick Red Labels are okay , especially for around £9 ish.

https://www.thomann.de/fr/cordes_basses_acoustiques.html?oa=pra

I really don' t like the Benton roundwound for electric... But this Harley Benton bronze, in a light gauge, are really nice if you like a slinky feel. After some use they develop a good acoustic feel

With Bronze, the Martin is my first choice if price doesn' t matter... But

The Warwick are absolutely great, with a small scoop on the highs + the definition of a medium gage; all that at a really nice price