Why become a member? ×

Todd Rundgren's current fave guitar... I think I have non-existent bass gas...

TrevorR

Watching some footage on Todd Rundgren's Utopia reunion tour and he's making very good use of a rather taste, space age Eastwood guitar, a Backlund 100. 

32623050_10214580801147965_7868084309054

Eastwood-Guitars_Backlund100_Blue_Right-

I keep on thinking "Oh man, what a COOOOOOOL bass that design would make!!!" (potential neck-dive notwithstanding - I've got a nice wide, suede backed leather strap so that's OK). Just as well for my bank balance that they don't make a bass version!

20 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Watching some footage on Todd Rundgren's Utopia reunion tour and he's making very good use of a rather taste, space age Eastwood guitar, a Backlund 100. 

32623050_10214580801147965_7868084309054

Eastwood-Guitars_Backlund100_Blue_Right-

I keep on thinking "Oh man, what a COOOOOOOL bass that design would make!!!" (potential neck-dive notwithstanding - I've got a nice wide, suede backed leather strap so that's OK). Just as well for my bank balance that they don't make a bass version!

That's beautiful. I couldn't get away with playing something like that - I'd look ridiculous - but it's awesome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

That's beautiful. I couldn't get away with playing something like that - I'd look ridiculous - but it's awesome.

Didn't say I was cool enough to pull it off either... BUT I DO WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!

The other Backlund designed models are equally sci-fi and wonderful... The Model 400's just as nice!

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections/backlund

Edited by TrevorR

22 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

The other Backlund designed models are equally sci-fi and wonderful... The Model 400's just as nice

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections/backlund

I'm not so sure about the hollow bodies or the melted teles, but the rest of them are some of the most aesthetically pleasing gguitars I've seen in a long time.

You'd definitely need a silver jumpsuit to complete the look though.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

As am I, but I think the above is a thing of beauty. I reckon the old P must have looked like it was from outer space back in '51, too.

I bet it's well made, but it reminds me of other wacky shapes  - Prince - Bootsy - just too much for me.

It's nice to see that Eastwood have made a substantial commitment to getting a number of John Backlund's designs out there. A few years ago I was reading a thread somewhere about his guitars and the man himself popped up to say that he'd had to go back to driving a truck because there wasn't enough money to be made from luthiery.

Interview with Backlund on the Eastwood website here

• 6 months later...