Why become a member? ×

Mustang - Suitable Strings

martthebass

I've had my current Mustangs for quite a while now but I'm the sort that prefers old to new strings so they are still wearing strings that are 12-18 months old (the ones they came with). I've got a gig this weekend where, for various reasons, I'm restricted to one bass; as both are the vintage bridge style (not BBOT) and strung through body only, could somebody recommend me a string set that are long enough but not too long in case I need to do a change on the fly.

Thanks in advance..... 

34 minutes ago, martthebass said:

What’s the tension like on them Si.....I prefer low to medium, never got on with high tension flats.

I would say they’re medium, very comfortable IMO. I would consider low tension to be (unsurprisingly) La Bella Low Tension Flats and Thomastiks, with medium tension being La Bella 760Fx flats as mentioned & D’addario Chromes. High tension are things like Rotosound flats, which are just horrible (for me).

But the La Bella Mustangs are the only ones I know specifically designed for that bass :)

Si

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, totorbass said:

I liked the feel of the stock Fenders on the JMJ model.

They are not really low-tension that said, but very pleasant.

To my knowledge, they’re not shortscale strings though?! The few people I know who had a JMJ from new said that the wound part of the the string was round the post, suggesting the stock strings are full-scale. Really poor show from Fender if so.

Si