Why become a member? ×

(what, again?) Precision v Jazz

Soledad

I've two P/Js, one fretted, one fretless, with a passive circuit that essentially gives me the option of JB solo, PN solo (classic Precision), JB+PN, JN solo, JB+JN (classic Jazz), JB & PN series (kinda HB). You need PUPs with lots of wires like Dimarzios, but I love the versatility without the need for actives circuits.     

• Like 2

The PJ (or P bass special) - Yes - It must be the thinking man's Fender (design) bass - but personally I can't stand the look of the P + J bridge PUPs together... or the look of a "double P".

I'd rather have one of each. Probably with a J neck on the P, like "Duck" Dunn (MHRIP).

I'd also love one of them fancy Fender Js with the bound body. 😍 What's it called? Begins with "A"?

38 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

The PJ (or P bass special) - Yes - It must be the thinking man's Fender (design) bass - but personally I can't stand the look of the P + J bridge PUPs together... or the look of a "double P".

I'd rather have one of each. Probably with a J neck on the P, like "Duck" Dunn (MHRIP).

I'd also love one of them fancy Fender Js with the bound body. 😍 What's it called? Begins with "A"?

A Fender bass?

;)

When I first bought a bass I went for a Jazz because I read on various forum posts people saying that the Jazz can be made to pretty much sound like a P but a P can't be made to sound like a Jazz.

Now that I've had both for a while I know that it's absolutely not true that the J can sound like a P - it always sounds completely different regardless of settings.

So, whichever one you prefer (if you can't have both), I just feel it will be helpful to anyone coming across this thread in future to know not to go for a J expecting it to be the best of both worlds.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Beedster said:

I've two P/Js, one fretted, one fretless, with a passive circuit that essentially gives me the option of JB solo, PN solo (classic Precision), JB+PN, JN solo, JB+JN (classic Jazz), JB & PN series (kinda HB). You need PUPs with lots of wires like Dimarzios, but I love the versatility without the need for actives circuits.     

Did you make this circuit yourself? sounds very interesting!

Any pics/diagrams?

I was thinking the same, we hear the argument that for recording you need a Precision ( courtesy of Scott Devine who may just be a bit biased) then you look at what bassists in bands are playing and there seems to be more Jazzes than Precision’s. Then again look at what good luthiers copy and it seems to be mainly Jazzes, similarly the budget mass produced stuff, leaning toward Jazzes. 

But does this necessarily make the Jazz better?

I love Jazzes. Ended up doing some punky stuff at rehearsal last night, so just ran the neck pickup soloed and turned up the ‘drive’ knob on my Ampeg pre. 

Glorious. Just glorious. Not quite the Precision tone, but good enough in the mix.

Edited by paul_5

18 hours ago, Beedster said:

Sounds similar to what my American Standard Jaguar PJ does.

Add to that series/parallel and an active circuit (works in passive when the battery is flat too, which is reassuring) and you have a very versatile bass,

So that's another option for anyone who fancies a PJ, although I've never seen another one on a gig or on TV.

Frank.

On 07/02/2019 at 09:59, MOSCOWBASS said:

I use both, horses for courses. Precision with flats, Jazz with rounds. I find the Jazz with rounds sounds nicer at home, but the Precision is great live with the big band I play with....it has a bit more depth than the jazz. Both brilliant in their own right.

Flats on a P with my big band too. It’s just perfect. The TI flats on my Mex just sound so woody and smooth. Great bit of grind when you dig in too, especially when you’ve got the right amp, which I have in the 700RB.

• Like 1

Interesting, what gummy says - that was always the thing I reckon - the P (see, I'm resigned now) has one particular native sound that belongs to the P alone. I agree Jazzes are prob a bit more versatile but they always sound like they have a hole in the middle to me and I never quite got the tight bottom end the P gave me (I'm talking straight US Fenders here). I suppose that's where P/J hybrids came from - if they really do that then every session player has one, right?

• Like 1

I’ve never owner a straight 4-string passive P or J - played plenty and liked a couple (one did have to be vintage and over £3K!), but never enough to buy one. I had a couple of jazz 5 deluxe models from different eras and both ended up being deeply disappointing. Personally the body shape and tone of a Precision would be my preference.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:21, paul_5 said:

I love Jazzes. Ended up doing some punky stuff at rehearsal last night, so just ran the neck pickup soloed and turned up the ‘drive’ knob on my Ampeg pre. 

Glorious. Just glorious. Not quite the Precision tone, but good enough in the mix.

A mate of mine uses a 70s Jazz, neck pickup only, and in the mix you`d swear it was a Precision. When soloed easy to tell it`s not, but in the mix, well that`s where it`s at.

• Like 2